• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Demolition scheduled for tomorrow

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm just glad he's back to normal & that everything went well. :hug8:
Thank you Karen. He's a busy bee again starting all over, and not eating much, but he's still manageable so I guess I'll let him keep going for a bit before I take this new one down.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Put a small cage (no bottom) over top the laptop.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Put a small cage (no bottom) over top the laptop.
That's a great idea, John, thank you! The only problem is the cord will still come out due to the outlet being in a hard to hide area. I really need to find the best way to cover cords. Maybe I should start a new thread so it can be seen by more people but I guess I'll ask here too. What is the best cord cover available? Links would be super helpful too!

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I've used PVC pipe to protect line cords from inquisitive beaks. It's readily available in the plumbing department of any home improvement store or hardware store and isn't terribly expensive. It has to have a diameter big enough for the plug to fit through and whatever length is necessary to cover the exposed wire.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thank you so much Gary!

I actually had that idea today too , and tried it, but I only had 1/2 inch diameter pvc at home & realized that it was too skinny to for the plug to go through. I'll have to buy some fatter pipes soon. My biggest issue is I have no idea what to do about the part closest to the outlet at the wall. Is there any way to make that part bird safe with anything?

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I have no idea what to do about the part closest to the outlet at the wall. Is there any way to make that part bird safe with anything?
I'll have to think about that one. In my apartment, there is furniture blocking access to the wall outlets and the birds can't get to them easily (neither can I, when I need to plug something in, or unplug something :D).

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'll have to think about that one. In my apartment, there is furniture blocking access to the wall outlets and the birds can't get to them easily (neither can I, when I need to plug something in, or unplug something :D).

Sorry, Gary. I meant to say thank you sooner. Thank you! Most of my plugs are covered by furniture too but there is one that I would really like to parrot proof soon so if anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated

Which brings me to this...I've let him sleep in his straw nest for the past 4 or 5 nights now. Ever since @simon777 brought it to my attention that that's what he would like to do, since he held his poops in all night long. I guess it's ok but I worry about what's going to happen when I have to demolish his nest again? It's already pretty big now and I know he can't keep it forever. I want him to be happy and make his own choices, when possible, but I would really prefer if he would go back to sleeping in his cage (with the door open ofcourse) I don't know if I should demolish his project again or let him be? If he doesn't have a nest up there I don't know if he'll ok with being back in his cage or if I should just make him some kind of cave or tunnel to sleep in up there

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
You're welcome, of course. :) I haven't yet come up with a good way to parrot-proof an exposed wall outlet.
I imagine that Blu would adjust to having no nest in his cage. It's hard to say how he would feel about having a cave to sleep in; if it's something he didn't build himself, he might reject it. You can always go through the process of taking down his nest when you think you need to, then let Blu start building again. He seems to accept that without any fuss, and it certainly keeps him busy.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
You're welcome, of course. :) I haven't yet come up with a good way to parrot-proof an exposed wall outlet.
I imagine that Blu would adjust to having no nest in his cage. It's hard to say how he would feel about having a cave to sleep in; if it's something he didn't build himself, he might reject it. You can always go through the process of taking down his nest when you think you need to, then let Blu start building again. He seems to accept that without any fuss, and it certainly keeps him busy.
I wish I could triple like this! Thank you so much! :stretching:

I somehow forgot I have the option of taking his work down again. Atleast so quickly. And I also felt bad not letting him decide where to sleep.

But he is getting a little out of control with the weaving today again (not eating much, looking possessed :wacky:, being way too hormonal ) so it's going to have to be demolished again very soon. Probably tomorrow .

And I didn't even think of that either! That he might not like something to sleep in, if he didn't make it. I do have a seagrass hut already that he doesn't pay much attention to. Where is my brain today? Lol.

Thank you!!!

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Once again, you're welcome! :) I have to think creatively since I don't have the same issues with Ralph. He'd be annoyed with me if I didn't pull his building projects apart when he tells me to. :D Neither Ralph nor Scooter the Grey want anything to sleep in. Scooter won't even tolerate a cage cover. When I first got Ralph, I got him a Cozy Corner, and he had fun chewing it up. No interest in sleeping in it. If Blu is getting too hormonal, then you'll probably have to resign yourself to taking his nest apart sooner than later.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Once again, you're welcome! :) I have to think creatively since I don't have the same issues with Ralph. He'd be annoyed with me if I didn't pull his building projects apart when he tells me to. :D Neither Ralph nor Scooter the Grey want anything to sleep in. Scooter won't even tolerate a cage cover. When I first got Ralph, I got him a Cozy Corner, and he had fun chewing it up. No interest in sleeping in it. If Blu is getting too hormonal, then you'll probably have to resign yourself to taking his nest apart sooner than later.
I'm trying to imagine a quaker insisting his nest be pulled down. Sounds so cute!
Your stories about Ralph are always so endearing, and I have never seen him before, so I had to look back at some of your older posts . He is such a handsome looking guy....and very wise looking! I hope you'll share more pics of him, and also Scooter, sometime.

Thanks again for your advice. I will definitely have to take the nest down soon. I just have to find time to have my friend come over and distract him in the living room again.

I am still working on cord solutions and I ordered this from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P4TN14E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_588VCbMF7WYK1

It's kind of the same idea as pvc pipes but the lazy woman's way. I just hope it's not incredibly flimsy. Will have to see how it feels when it gets here. If it's not good enough I'll have to go get the 1" pvcs.

Then I found this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FZPSJPW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_l88VCbX1ZVMNV for the wall outlet issue I was wondering about. Do you think this might work? I'm a little hesitant because I don't know if plugging in an air purifier, plus a laptop, plus a phone charger would be too much for it? Does anyone know about watts and volts and stuff?

If the flat sleek one can't handle that much electricity I will probably try something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009UX0LFW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tC9VCbA937564

Last edited:

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Ralph thanks you for your kind words. :) He works hard at defying the usual Quaker parrot stereotypes-- he's not noisy or cage aggressive. He's pretty calm and even-tempered, and very smart. Everyone who sees him remarks about how beautiful his feathers are. He just likes to build and rebuild and has no interest in building an actual nest. Unfortunately, Scooter is a lifelong feather chewer and we're still working on getting her to break that habit. I think she dislikes being photographed-- usually when the camera comes out, Scooter sticks her head in her food dish and forages in there. She moves quickly so I've taken lots of pictures of her back. :D

Over the years, I've used lots of Wiremold products to add or relocate outlets and fixtures. They should work well for hiding line cords too.
The outlet covers look promising too, certainly worth a try.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Ralph thanks you for your kind words. :) He works hard at defying the usual Quaker parrot stereotypes-- he's not noisy or cage aggressive. He's pretty calm and even-tempered, and very smart. Everyone who sees him remarks about how beautiful his feathers are. He just likes to build and rebuild and has no interest in building an actual nest. Unfortunately, Scooter is a lifelong feather chewer and we're still working on getting her to break that habit. I think she dislikes being photographed-- usually when the camera comes out, Scooter sticks her head in her food dish and forages in there. She moves quickly so I've taken lots of pictures of her back. :D

Over the years, I've used lots of Wiremold products to add or relocate outlets and fixtures. They should work well for hiding line cords too.
The outlet covers look promising too, certainly worth a try.

Awww, sounds like you have two very special fids :heart:

Good to know you've used the wiremold products! Now I'm excited for their arrival :)