• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How old is this Grey?

WhistlingAway

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Vereena
Hey everyone!
I am a new African Grey 'Parront' and I am kind of struggling to identify how old is my bird. So, I was wondering if someone can help me by giving me a rough estimate, as it it will help me out big time with many things such as diet.
Attached below are some pictures of the eyes, I am hoping they can help as I know that you can tell from their colour.

Thank you in advance! :dance4:
IMG_4154.jpg IMG_4155.JPG IMG_4156.JPG

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There is no way to tell how old your bird is. Once a bird has reached juvenile age their physical characteristics do not change until they get "very" old. We can say your bird is not "old". Age doesn't have anything to do with diet. They should be eating a healthy nutritious diet their entire life. From young to old.

So why is age so important? Where'd you get him?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Does the bird not have a leg band?

He´s a beautiful bird btw

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
He is mature - his/her eyes have lightened up to their adult coloring. Beyond that, it's difficult to tell. His/her feet don't look to be very scaly, so I don't think he's "old." A leg band may have his hatch date, as Zara alluded to. He's a beautiful grey!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Does the bird not have a leg band?

He´s a beautiful bird btw

Leg bands? They still do those? None of mine past or present ever had bands.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
His eyes are a clear light grey. He’s between 1 and 2yrs old. His eyes will turn light yellow next and then the neon yellow by the 3rd year.

Welcome to AA!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
His eyes are a clear light grey. He’s between 1 and 2yrs old. His eyes will turn light yellow next and then the neon yellow by the 3rd year.

Welcome to AA!
Light yellow? Never heard of that. My greys never turned yellow, even light yellow. Grayson is 7 and sparky was in his 50's. Nether ever had yellow or light yellow, pale grey maybe even light silver. Not everything you read on net in research is true. People post any thing there on net without verifying it or they're color blind.:cool::lol:

Last edited:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

Welcome to AA!
Hey Kodi, your right. I got my large magnifying glass out. My grey on one side me on the other. ( he found that incredibly hilarious that daddy has a huge breaker in the magnifying glass)
Ask my wife is it yellow or silver? She says a tiny teeny bit yellow. I thought silver., She says to me what are you color blind you old fart? It's a tiny bit yellow.
Ok it is a tiny teeny weeny bit yellow. And I have to have my eyes checked! Your right Kodi, and I'm a blind old fart! :blink::geek: comes with age!

Kodigirl210

No worries. I only know about the progression because I have watched Sif’s eyes go from baby dark to light grey. I wondered when they got the yellow of the adults and it totally made sense then.

Of course the right eye is still brown from being damaged when she was a chick. I also don’t know if her left will progress to yellow now that it’s also filled with cataract.

So I guess it’s technically possible her eyes will stay grey past 2 lol. :)

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Two of mine are straw colored. The baby who's turning one in a couple of days still has a darker shade of yellow.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
All of my greys eyes are yellow/gold,the youngest is 11. You have a beautiful Grey.We really cannot tell from the eyes once they turn yellow:hug8:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hey Kodi, your right. I got my large magnifying glass out. My grey on one side me on the other. ( he found that incredibly hilarious that daddy has a huge breaker in the magnifying glass)
Ask my wife is it yellow or silver? She says a tiny teeny bit yellow. I thought silver., She says to me what are you color blind you old fart? It's a tiny bit yellow.
Ok it is a tiny teeny weeny bit yellow. And I have to have my eyes checked! Your right Kodi, and I'm a blind old fart! :blink::geek: comes with age!
I originally posted greys eyes are silver when older, no they are slightly yellow....I was wrong!
I Must be Color blind...lol... Oh kick me everyone! Having field of vision surgery in 6 weeks. Then moocha better ( I can see clearly now that the rain .....)
Grayson below...7 years old.
IMG_20190311_213607.jpg IMG_20190418_204014.jpg

Kodigirl210

1BE9AC79-4F3E-4536-A14B-8F52AA732AA1.jpeg @Hawk12237 - Seriously no worries! It’s not something people usually pay attention or worry about. Mostly we’re just super excited to have a CAG/TAG in our lives. And yes Greyson has lovely straw colored eyes. ;) This is Jake. Bait & Biter extraordinaire. Also the biggest CAG I have ever seen. (And yes that is my knee cap!)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
View attachment 301994 @Hawk12237 - Seriously no worries! It’s not something people usually pay attention or worry about. Mostly we’re just super excited to have a CAG/TAG in our lives. And yes Greyson has lovely straw colored eyes. ;) This is Jake. Bait & Biter extraordinaire. Also the biggest CAG I have ever seen. (And yes that is my knee cap!)

Oh he is a big boy!!! Love it! My blue front is a big girl, vet said a couple times that she was large for a BFA. My Tag is average, my senny, is considered petite.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Also the biggest CAG I have ever seen.
...that's one big boy! :)

Do you have a weight for him...he looks bigger than Milton...and he goes about 455 g...

Kodigirl210

@cassiesdad - ah no. He’s the ex’s CAG and the ex did not believe in certain things. The least of which is weighing or vets or healthy diets for Jake. On my arm he always felt closer to a pound and a half than to a pound. I’m positive he was over 550g. Regardless his Dad loves him, wants for nothing and is a happy boy. And if he ever does need a vet I know where to send him ;)

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
To my eyes, this greys eyes already have a tinge of yellow. I'm not a grey expert, by any means, but over the years I think I've seen mature greys with different degrees of yellow in their eyes. Is this possible, or have I really been seeing greys of different ages?

Kodigirl210

@Fia Baby - most likely you’ve been seeing different ages. The color is a general guideline. But they most definitely go through a progression of eye colors. There the only ones I know of that do that. Most parrots have baby eyes or adult eyes.

Sif is almost 8 months and her eye is already light grey. The other eye is still dark bcuz of damage. As for myself, I’ve noticed the yellow gets more intense and they get older. But I don’t expect to see her eye turn yellow til about 3y provided this cataract doesn’t damage the left as well. I won’t mind tho. I find they Grey eye quite pretty ;)