• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sugar soap

Begone2

Meeting neighbors
I used this stuff for cleaning up wallpaper and plaster walls that were needing a freshen up. It comes in a spray. I used it on some macaw poop - it broke up and dissolved even the hardened ones very quickly, and using a stiff brush, it could be dispersed then mopped up. It is easily the fastest working cleaner I have used. However there is not much information about whether it is safe to use around birds. I have seen both positive and negative comments. I would imagine if the residue is mopped up and rinsed thoroughly, then there shouldn't be any of it around to cause harm, but I wondered what opinions are here?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Never heard of it.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
What is it made of?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
never heard of it

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It contains washing soda (Sodium Carbonate), a moderately strong alkali. Despite the name it's nasty. Anything left over after a good rinse could be neutralised by a wipe with diluted Vinegar.
Personally, I still wouldn't use it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I personally would not use it on my birds items or items that the bird uses.

It is designed to basically strip everything off the walls to prepare them for painting etc.

I had to use it to clean up the house we just sold and boy do I regret not wearing gloves.
A week and a half later and my hands are still peeling and dry as anything.

I would be very concerned if you are spraying it around your birds also as the airborne particles could be damaging to your birds sensitive respiratory system.

Begone2

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for your replies. I have only ever used it to clean up dried poop on surfaces that he had messed up, but in rooms that he only visits now and again. I don't use it as a general cleaner, and he never comes into contact with it.