• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand feeding advice, Budgies

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Secure it so it doesn´t topple over or anything like that. Adelie currently has a dragon she loves to snuggle with and i secured it by clipping it to the cage. Go with what you think is safe.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Secure it so it doesn´t topple over or anything like that. Adelie currently has a dragon she loves to snuggle with and i secured it by clipping it to the cage. Go with what you think is safe.
I’ll have to make sure it is even viable...it’s got a little bell in the middle (sewn into the center) and that may be heavy enough to be dangerous he’s about the size of a cotton ball...most everything could be dangerous for him

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes, the whale i used was from a mcdonalds happy meal and was long and flat so wouldn´t topple.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Yes, the whale i used was from a mcdonalds happy meal and was long and flat so wouldn´t topple.
I bet I can find something for him to snuggle with when he is not enjoying pocket life. He’s so cute it’s like he’s got this huge contented smile on his little face.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could always use a clean sock stuffed with clean cloth. It doesn't have to be a toy.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
What a cute little baby! I'm so sorry to hear about his sister. He's precious, and it sounds and looks like he landed in the right place.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
What a cute little baby! I'm so sorry to hear about his sister. He's precious, and it sounds and looks like he landed in the right place.
Thank you, I miss her. It’s incredible how easy love takes root. I like to think she’d be happy that he’s staying. I know it’s brought me a great deal of peace to know that he will be loved and cared for properly. Giving them back to an unknown future was really pushing my emotional compass :heart:

Last edited:

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Thank you, I miss her. It’s incredible how easy love takes root. I like to think she’d be happy that he’s staying. I know it’s brought me a great deal of peace to know that he will be loved and cared for properly. Giving them back to an unknown future was really pushing my emotional compass :heart:
I agree, it's amazing how quickly they get their little claws around our hearts :) I'm so happy you're keeping him, now he'll be safe and happy for his entire life :heart: any thoughts about names for the little guy?

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I agree, it's amazing how quickly they get their little claws around our hearts :) I'm so happy you're keeping him, now he'll be safe and happy for his entire life :heart: any thoughts about names for the little guy?
I’ve been calling him Tink / Tinker Tot because he is soo tiny, it’s such a cute name for a very cute little guy, it might stick!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh gosh.. I fell in love with them through your photos. I'm so sorry you lost the one. I can't believe what the store wanted you to do regarding the feeding and separating. I'd be hot trotting to that store and handing money over and saying "SOLD!" I'm delighted you are keeping the little Tater Tot!

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Oh gosh.. I fell in love with them through your photos. I'm so sorry you lost the one. I can't believe what the store wanted you to do regarding the feeding and separating. I'd be hot trotting to that store and handing money over and saying "SOLD!" I'm delighted you are keeping the little Tater Tot!
:heart: Aah Tater Tot I love it!!! I keep going back through this feed myself. It’s hard to believe how much happened in the span of a week. Tink is just now getting to the size and appearance of his sweet sister when I brought them home. He still hasn’t taken to any offered food other than formula, but she’d only just taken to seeds over the weekend. Whether he is a full week younger or not I just can’t imagine he would have survived without formula or the warmth of the incubator. Even if I’ve just got him in my hands I can sometimes feel his body temperature dropping. I’m glad I had these pocket tees on hand for him :xflove: it keeps him toasty and he’s so happy to be snuggled in with me.

4532CDB6-EE76-4DE9-9AF7-80105567D3A5.jpeg C30A6166-E3B7-4C28-8309-612A32AC399E.jpeg 10A1CEB8-9334-4E69-B16C-FE885456F6C9.jpeg

These are him today being observed by my very curious little Parrotlet, Maus :lol: he makes Maus look huge!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
:heart: Aah Tater Tot I love it!!! I keep going back through this feed myself. It’s hard to believe how much happened in the span of a week. Tink is just now getting to the size and appearance of his sweet sister when I brought them home. He still hasn’t taken to any offered food other than formula, but she’d only just taken to seeds over the weekend. Whether he is a full week younger or not I just can’t imagine he would have survived without formula or the warmth of the incubator. Even if I’ve just got him in my hands I can sometimes feel his body temperature dropping. I’m glad I had these pocket tees on hand for him :xflove: it keeps him toasty and he’s so happy to be snuggled in with me.

View attachment 302205 View attachment 302206 View attachment 302207

These are him today being observed by my very curious little Parrotlet, Maus :lol: he makes Maus look huge!
Given the stage of development he is in I don't think he would have done well back at the pet store. He's very small. Probably would have been placed with other budgies and picked on by the stronger more independent birds. Maybe he and Maus will become friends like John's little Hal and budgie.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Given the stage of development he is in I don't think he would have done well back at the pet store. He's very small. Probably would have been placed with other budgies and picked on by the stronger more independent birds. Maybe he and Maus will become friends like John's little Hal and budgie.
Aaw that would be awesome, Maus gets picked on by the other parrotlets :( I know he’d like to have a bird friend. And once Tinky Tader Tot starts to notice the world outside of food and mom, it would be awesome for him to have a buddy. They’re my two youngest.

I’ve always used my dog, Bean for my size scale ratio, I may have to start using Maus to Scale instead :laugh: he would make a cute ledger for watching Tink grow up!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Oh, I see now you haven't been here that long. John had a little blue parrotlet named Hal. He took in a little green budgie "Scooter X" and they took to each other very well. Tinker Tater Tot... cute name!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How is everything going with the witch at the pet store?

Have you told her of the passing of the elder chick? And that you want to buy this one?

I love the pictures BTW :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's adorable and I love the name!

Keep offering formula for as long as he wants it. You can start offering pellets and fresh food but it's like having a human baby. At first the different foods are to get him used to different tastes and textures than for nutrition. He won't be eating enough other things to get enough calories etc.