• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Splash and Smudge

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Splash is going to the emergency clinic with me tomorrow. He had a bath so I could get him without a chase, and while his feathers were wet I got a good look under his wing. There was a little blood on the cover feather where his 1st primary should be, and that whole area is bruised and swollen. Looks like a crash injury, need to get an xray to make sure everything is okay. Strange there was no blood on his flights.
He's sat calm as anything drying out on my hand, he can stay there as long as he wants.
_20190421_175007.JPG

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awwwwwwwww poor Splash. But what a cutie .

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awwwww Adorable, he looks sad :(

Hopefully you get on alright at the vet and not too much damage

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fingers crossed for Splash!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've got to get ready but guess who doesn't want to leave me.
_20190422_084213.JPG
To me clinginess like this means a poorly birb, especially as I couldn't get near this time yesterday. Oh well, time to prise him off :lol:

Last edited:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Welcome to your two new precious budgies! I so agree, my home would be way too quiet without budgie chatter! Love the photos, and so glad Splash is so content on his perch there in the pics. :heart:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He´s beautiful! I just love the bright colours. ❤

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Splash had a couple of really bad bites to the wing, bad enough to cause an infection. They were not self inflicted, top beak and bottom beak marks were in the wrong positions. He also has a pretty bad bite to the upper leg, which is not infected and he has been hiding for a while. We weren't sure who or how. Until just now.
I put Splash back in the main cage and watched. Smudge came over to say hello, regurgitated a gift, preened Splashes head, then set to attacking his leg.
It's always a hard thing to think about. Do I get another cage for Tau and split the main cage? It was an easy choice in the end. Smudge will stay the night in the 'hospital' cage and go back to the vet tomorrow for rehoming.
It was an easy choice because of the bond I have now with Splash and besides, I always back the underdog. He's had an injection of compound antibiotics for the infection and I have some metacam to help with pain.
Not the result I expected or wanted. The vet also said he may be missing a couple of flights for the rest of his life through follicle damage, but he'll have enough to fly safely.
So Smudge is gone. If/when Jack comes home we'll have a balanced cage again.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Through no fault of your own, but you have the most dynamic flock! :imok:
You are really on top of problems when they develop too.
yeah, can't have them hurting each other for sure. poor Splash that must have been so ouchie.
I think a budgie can do just fine as a single budgie with lots of human attention and another any kind of bird as company.
Although I do hope Jack will find his way home to you too.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Here's a pic of Splash's wings from on top. Believe it or not the little fella has the strength to maintain level flight.
_20190423_090556.JPG

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor little Splash. I hope he heals up quickly.

I'm astonished that he can fly level with an injury and with several missing flight feathers! He's a strong little bird. And it just goes to show that clipping a bird won't necessary prevent it from flying.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Would it not be better to clip the other side to make it even?

I always thought birds need the balance. What did the vet say about it?

Incredible that he can still fly!

And it just goes to show that clipping a bird won't necessary prevent it from flying.
Totally!

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
So glad he's doing better !! It's never a lighthearted decision when it comes to re-homing a bird, but most of the time it's the right decision in order to keep all the birds safe and happy.

Love the top down shot of his wings.
I know clipping is a tough subject for most of us no matter what side of the fence we sit on, but I would think about clipping just the first two flight feathers to even him out a bit. This won't be enough to stop him from flying, but should be just enough to even him out so he doesn't learn to fly all wonky and sideways.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Would it not be better to clip the other side to make it even?
but I would think about clipping just the first two flight feathers to even him out
He only got the chance to fly by trying to get back to the cage quicker than I was carrying him. I think it would be better to just curtail his wing time until we see how they grow back. If there is a few missing I can clip the other wing to match. If they all grow back then I'd regret a clip. It'll only be a few weeks til I know what's happening, and maybe 6-8 weeks til they're grown in. I don't like to clip unnecessarily.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. They are beautiful.