• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

More on Paulie

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe! Well done Paulie! :)

Nice idea Meagan!

I would caution using tape. It isn't that they are toxic per se. The biggest fear would be consuming indigestible material. Such a small bird intestine could easily become blocked from tiny residue polymers.

Is Tape Toxic? Duct Tape, Electrical Tape and Scotch Tape - Tape Authority

It really is a great foraging toy idea. Don't give up on it. Just close the bottom using an alternative method :)

Last edited:

laracroft

Strolling the yard
I agree about the tape. Honestly, Micah has gotten into a bunch of things over the years that I freaked out about, and it's been fine, but why risk it? I use cooking twine to close things and as a thread for toy making, maybe look into that? Other than that, great foraging idea! Paulie is a lucky bird!

ETA: I see you've pulled it. Probably a good choice just because of the tape, but that's easily fixed!

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
@laracroft
Yea, I can't seem to find my cooking twine :facepalm:.

I most definitely agree, I would rather not risk it. I'm thinking some fancy folding/cuts could solve it easily. I have a stash of toilet paper rolls at my disposal to experiment with (I save them to help correct boot bite).

I'm also wondering if coconut oil might be a safe "adhesive"? I plan to Google it to find out before I try it, but for now I've pulled this toy. Tomorrow I'll give him a paper bag with holes punched in it. ;) I just thought this was a good way to exercise his mind since he had to use his feet to stabilize the roll while he ate through it.

laracroft

Strolling the yard
I'm pretty sure coconut oil is safe, but idk how well it would work as an adhesive?

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
@laracroft
I was thinking because it can get solid that it could hold the cardboard together... But thinking about it now I'm not sure it'll really work.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Adorable!!!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe! I am so happy to see Paulie growing into such a cute little fluffy pear blueberry :heart2:

I am also pleased to see such a proud mum! Nice job with him :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Elmers white school glue is what I use for adhesive. It has never hurt anyone or thing if eaten, to my knowledge. Great idea! Mine don't trust the roll yet. They completely ignore it.
You beat me to the punch! :spinlol:

@PacificPaulie .

If your gonna use tape, I use medical paper tape occasionally but not on toys & in shorter amounts or to make a grippy surface for Buddy to stand on. (Like my kitchen scale)

Also, I know you're off the coconut oil thought, but when I was learning about toy making I read to never use something your bird might mistake for food as they may eat the toy.

This was regarding using jello or kool aid as food coloring... Just thought I'd mention it for what it's worth.

It looks as tho he loves his new toy. I :heart: your pics & video!

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
@Dgh
What great information! Thank you for this...I seriously have no clue where my cooking twine is and I'm no good at fancy folding/cutting. :facepalm:

Reactions: Dgh

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
@Rain Bow
That's right, I didn't think about that. Goodness, I'm so glad I didn't use coconut oil. I would have felt awful if he ate a ton of cardboard cuz it tasted yummy. :(

Dgh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dana
@PacificPaulie You are quite welcome! I am big on making home made cheap playthings and I try to do so as safely as possible. If kids can eat elmers with no issues, especially in this food allergy riddled world, the birds should be able to nibble with no drawbacks.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
In my material cultures experimental class we used flour and water to make glues. Flour and water mixed together stick very strongly to papers. We were even making architecturally scaled structures.

I would experiment with flour and water mixtures. You would know it is safe and there wouldn't be any fumes. :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
What a great idea. I take the empty toilet paper roll with a bit of paper left on it and stick it through the bars of the cage bending the end and putting it through another bar so it stays. Kai spends days pulling it apart.
That is also a great idea. Kai is a lucky bird :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a great idea. I take the empty toilet paper roll with a bit of paper left on it and stick it through the bars of the cage bending the end and putting it through another bar so it stays. Kai spends days pulling it apart.
I'm not sure if you tried this. The $ stores here carry small bags of crinkle paper. You can buy them on amazon, if you don't want to try to make your own. I did it w/ card stock took so long. Plus My Buddy hasn't really done much w/ it w/out me encouraging each piece.

So, you'd have to buy more (by weight than the mix I got @ the $ store) was my point. If your fid doesn't go for it you'd be spending $ for nothing, was my point.

Amazon.com: crinkle paper

Great for foraging if your fid likes it. (Try it more then 1 time too!). Buddy's warming to it but it's taken forever.

Pls, avoid the ones that are metallic. I'm not sure what those are made of.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Some crinkle noises can be very upsetting for parrotlets so I would use within reason :)

My boys have near panic attacks anytime someone opens a plastic bag.

The stuff @Rain Bow linked seems very parrotlet friendly to me :)