• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie off balance

Caza66

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
Hi, I've not been on here for a while but not really had any issues. However, I have a lutino linnie who is 2 years old, home bred and is currently in an aviary with another 11 linnies. When it comes to getting them in at night, she has occasionally fallen to the floor but makes her way along perches/ropes to the hatch. She has also occasionally ended up on her back and struggled to get up. This has been witnessed by my husband so not sure how she ended up on her back.

This morning, I saw it for myself. She went to climb up the aviary mesh but 'fell over' and ended up on her back. I went to pick her up and she righted herself. She walked up the spiral to the ropes and went outside. She was a bit uncertain on her feet but she managed to walk. One of her legs seemed not to be working right but not very noticeably. She doesn't seem to want to fly long distances and will only fly about 2 feet, preferring to walk along the ropes. She is last out in the morning and last in at night and is not quite right but I can't see any other symptoms. She is not fluffed up.

Has anybody come across this?

Thanks for reading.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, 11 Linnies! That must be amazingly cute. :)

I would check her out with the vet. My Linnie was clumsy as a baby, but now not so much. And since you have many to compare her to, you seem to be able to see something is off. Good luck! I hope it's not anything serious.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Hmmmm.... Ran this by my wife whom is an ER emergency surgical vet assistant. ( helps do surgeries on animals)...
Sounds like a bad muscle sprang. If it landed on keel, it can get bruised and affect flying and walking.... Definitely get it checked out to rule out any hair line fractures.
The other thing could be a mini stroke, yes birds can get them, but doubt that's the case here.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope all will be OK with your linnie. Best thing is to take her to the vet for an exam. Could be something neurological, stroke, injury to foot, etc.

Caza66

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
Thought I would update. Took poppy to the vet last week. She is a good weight, stools clear. Vet thought possible neurological too. She had a weeks worth of antibiotics and anti inflammatory and she has perked up. She is now back in the aviary. Keeping an eye on her in case is reoccurs.
Thanks for your help.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for the update! I hope Poppy continues to do well!
I'd love to see a pic of your Linnies if you get a chance.