• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kira loves being out

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
I've come to realize I need to increase Kira's out of cage toys as she loves being out. It took me a bit to realize as I thought she just didn't trust me until last night and this morning she was super snuggly. When I had to put her to bed/back in cause I had to go to work - she would NOT come to me! It's great to know as it's something I can totally work on with her, but I felt awful this morning. I had to catch her using a soft small blanket as she kept flying off! *sigh* poor kiddo. 20190416_180146[1].jpg

Side note - Her official name is Kira, but I feel like I need to give her a fuller name...something like Kira Tyfainne, Kira Eirianwen, Kira Tanwen, Kira Myfanwy, Kira Ysabeau or any combination thereof or including some kind of noble title for her highness LOL (note the second names are Welsh/French as I'm half Welsh, half Acadian :). Thoughts from anyone? :heart:

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
I have had my share of "catch em with a blanket", it won't damage her for life !

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Birds let you know when they're not happy about something!

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
Oh she lets me know in spades! LOL! If I walk out of sight, she makes her distress call. If the dog or one of the cats gets a wee bit too close for her comfort, she makes her distress call (the dog is a huge goof that can't figure out what she is, but I can see why she's scared). I started clicker training her this morning - just the click and treat (I waited a few days so she can see what home is like). I'm hoping that with more confidence with training and consistency, that her timidness will start to subside.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
She’s a beauty!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Awe she is gorgeous! It seems like you two are really starting to develop a relationship :) Well done!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
She sleeps like an elegant princess :xflove:

How is she taking to bathing?

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
Funny enough, I didn't see her bathe until today! I put her dishes on top of the cage, and she dove right in! I was too slow to catch her, but so glad she relaxed enough to do it. She ate better today too and barely left my side. I even got her to step-up once today - I'll take it!

Her claws need trimming badly (I didn't get a close enough look at them before today). Needless to say, my neck and shoulders look like a war zone lol. I'm going to call the vet when they open to see how much it is. I know I could do it, but I don't want to ruin any trust I managed to get. They aren't and emergency length (not long enough to curl on themselves or the like), but definitely should be done soon. I have different perches for her but...she prefers the cage or my shoulders...

NBGwen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gwen
Ugh - quite certain I have traumatized Kira, but it had to be done. I took her in the shower, which she seems to love btw, then had to trim her claws. Literally HAD to. I look like I live with a wild beast, I'm covered in scratches not done on purpose. I have a heat intolerance due to my MS which makes draping something across my shoulders difficult and uncomfortable. I have been, but...so I gently wrapped her up and trimmed her nails as fast as I could, all while being bitten and cawed at. She's now on top of her cage, enjoying a much deserved treat and my skin Hope's for a reprieve from her claws...here's just a small section. She loves her snuggles, but my skin is very sensitive (feels like a sunburn on my shoulders). Here's hoping she'll forgive me! 20190421_130657.jpg

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
She will forgive you. As long as she gets more of that positive energy. I have founds birds can be very forgiving of the small stuff. It all depends on how safe and loved they feel day to day.

I am glad Kira enjoyed her bath :)