• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeder forum

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Oi TROLL. You've upset a lot of well meaning and valued members on here now. A few are threatening to leave over all your trouble.
I'm not sorry to say you must be top of the list for eviction. Get your bags ready cos it's coming soon.
Don't bother replying to me I'll never see it.
Oh, and you can't send me messages either.

Last edited:

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
Sad, sad , sensitive ripshod. I pitty your inability to handle the choices that I and others make regarding our own birds, that no one but ourselves have purchased.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Please! People let this breeding debate end! All i see is argument! Every time someone mentions breeding, people fight. Guys, lets take each others advice, and be considerate, people breeding want the best, and so do the people who say not too. If the person breeding doesn't know what their doing we can inform them for sure, and yes we can say why we don't want that person to breed, but if we can't make the person stop, then that's their problem, even if that person is selfish, they will learn eventually. Let's end these fights, and lets recognize the difference in a good person and bad person, and have respect. The people who say no to breeding, are often right, they are good people who care about birds. The people who refuse the wise knowledge obliviously don't care about birds, unless they have a legit reason.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
@WhteRnbwBirdie do what you want ....if you want to breed them do it. But let's not talk about anymore okay. Your choice at your birds expense, we've e tried to give you advice. You can refer back to it or not, this conversation of breeding and any other future breeding is done.

As for everyone else don't reply she clearly knows what she is talking about..... You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. She's been told numerous times, let's not feed this petulant behaviour. She's doing it for attention most likely and is basically trolling :bash:. She has more than enough information, she doesn't need anymore.....

Also as uing the word zealot to describe some people I find highly offensive as it deems terrorism . How dare you have the audacity to say that when you sit there and post posts that you intend to upset and rile people up. Please stop with this, do you even know what terrorism is my degree course covers this and that is inappropriate and insensitive. To the admins can you please sensor the word, remove the posts or have a word with her beacsue shes now deeming people as terrorists who don't agree with her.. ..

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
If i may suggest a simple solution... place this person under moderation and only allow non inflammatory posts through.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
Zealot only means someone who's impassioned and will not let others have their own beliefs. It has no true correlation to terrorism. People just link it to that for no real reason.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
Please! People let this breeding debate end! All i see is argument! Every time someone mentions breeding, people fight. Guys, lets take each others advice, and be considerate, people breeding want the best, and so do the people who say not too. If the person breeding doesn't know what their doing we can inform them for sure, and yes we can say why we don't want that person to breed, but we can't make the person stop.

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
If the person breeding doesn't know what their doing we can inform them for sure, and yes we can say why we don't want that person to breed, but if we can't make the person stop, then that's their problem, even if that person is selfish, they will learn eventually.
But they learn at the expense of the birds. :( I believe what has most of us upset is the OPs determination to breed before any real knowledge is gained. It seems the more we have asked her not to breed at all has made her dig in her heels not only to breed, but to reject the rest of the advice she's been given to learn first, not as she goes.

The most promising thing I've read was the post where she said she might wait 6 months. I don't believe that is likely sufficient, but it is a step in the right direction. If she truly does research the topic as well as gain first-hand experience with caring, responsible breeders then she will have a better understanding of what is required and decide on her own to postpone until she is ready and better equipped. But you're right, that is a decision she has to realize on her own.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Gemma, my parrotlet (aka best tiny dinosaur) is crippled from a backyard breeder who just wanted to try to breed his male and female. He didn't know the proper diet, causing her to have vitamin deficiencies at a very young age. He also had never put the id bands on a birds legs before but it looked simple enough so he did it to my Gemma...breaking both of her legs in the process, crushing her bones with the tags. He then left her in a nest box because birds can heal themselves right? Thankfully a kind person (an acquaintance of this "breeder" took her and gave her to me.) She had to surgically have the bands, now crushed tightly to her flattened legs, removed. Since she was just a baby when this happened her legs will never be functional like a normal bird. She will not be allowed into a flight cage like her species enjoys. She can only perch on rope or fleece. She can't be allowed to free fly because every landing has the potential to break her bones again. She can only fly over a floor covered in comforters and even then very carefully.

Bowser, my catablu macaw, was bred by a "breeder" with over 40 years experience. He just "loves to breed." Doesn't mean he knows how. Bowser came to me with a massive infection requiring emergency meds and feedings. He also came to me with a badly mangled beak, bitten and crushed by a larger macaw. The flesh on his wing is still mangled to this day, resembling bubble gum, from an attack he suffered at this "breeders" home. I brought him home and got him veterinary care and the love needed. The vets said they've never seen such a frightened baby macaw in their careers. This baby came from a breeder that claims to be the best and even charges for phone conversations about bird care.
This hurts the heart to read :( Gemma and Bowser sure had an awful start in life. I´m glad you´re giving them a life filled with love.

All animals deserve that.

A life without love is a life unlived.

Hope your birds enjoy the extra mash :)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I love babies and have purchased one from a friend/breeder...then we got 51 green cheeks in from a breeder "getting rid of his stock"...Fifty. One. and that's just one breeder. We couldn't find homes for the majority because people didn't want to work with them or didn't want a pair or wanted a tame one. The ones that found homes came out of their shells as if they were sold as a hand fed baby. Thirty-two are now split into two groups at Ziggy's haven and Bird Garden of Naples. We did manage to find a few homes and I ended up keeping five of them...three that I know of have passed that were placed. Of the five I have, I kept two that were very sick. Breeder said they never died on him except old age. His version of old age was 8. I have a 22+ year old cheeky from a rescue. That is old age. Their diet of the cheap sunflower seeds and corn was so very hard on them. The one little guy, Lola, has clogged arteries, his heart is bad and he's currently on a crap ton of meds and he's wild. He also gets infections often and then has seizures. I would love babies if so many didn't need homes and I could guarantee the owners would provide the same level of care.

If you're going to breed, get your network of breeder friends, research and have a vet ready. If you can't vet the parents and know you won't vet the babies, yet push to breed, my respect is lost. Honor and integrity should cross all boundaries no matter what you do in life.

Last edited:

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Let people tell you to neuter your dog, heck, if someone told me that, it would go in one ear and out of the other (my dog is not and never will be castrated and I will never breed him for ethical reasons).
Also, the birds and the dog in my house are not my animals, they´re my family. The birds that land on my balcony are animals. Just my thoughts.
I know this is two months later but I just LOVED this post and particularly these parts. For medical reasons (anal gland & prostate enlargement) I had to have my ten yo chihuahua altered. I never bred him either and endured ten years of pushy vets trying to sell me the idea that he needed to be “fixed” to be an acceptable dog. No one had any scientific or medical reasoning, just this American idea that no dog/cat should be allowed to live intact. Heinous. I mean really how insane is it to surgically alter animals without question under the guise that it is best for them!? They don’t even do that to convicted human predators! I felt like I’d betrayed him but I also knew that by doing nothing, I was letting him physically suffer. Not okay for my son, the love of my life, mirror of my soul, the first member of my family that I made all on my own.

My family shaped my personal ethos on the permanence of family that you bring into your home by being the kind of people I will never be. People who bought a puppy and got rid of it, bought their girls birds, got rid of them, and proceeded to encourage me to dump every one of my pack/flock members for the past ten years. My mom just doesn’t understand animals that don’t eventually serve a food purpose (protecting your / food animals) from her rural Italian upbringing, I get asking me why I don’t eat the Lorenzo (my bun) what I don’t get is why the next option is get rid of it. Nope, love you mamma but no. The “get rid of it” people are why breeding animals Willy nilly gets people upset, a home with a nice family does not guarantee a damn thing. When I brought my chihuahua in for his surgery I showed the vet tech his baby picture and she was shocked I’d had him his whole life from ten weeks to ten years - if that isn’t a true testament to how rare a permanent one and only family is, idk what is.

The problem with communities that form for the love of animals is we tend to love animals. That means strong ethical opinions on breeding them without proper consideration and personal ownership of the possible “costs of doing business”. It is dismissive and reckless to just attack people at will, however - sharing our ethos, experience, and opinions is literally exactly why we’re here (and obviously, above all else, to see many birds and commune with others who love them). Much like the (insert Country) Kennel Clubs, I am positive there are many many forums specifically dedicated to breeding birds.

Maybe to resolve the issue of chasing people out at the expense of already existing baby birds, whom we clearly care about, we could offer a resources link to a list of those sites and of course our opinions along with it. That way even if someone feels dissuaded from posting their questions here, we give them a clear path to others they may feel more comfortable approaching.

They’re very likely to go from a community concerned about bird wellbeing to a community dedicated to the wellbeing and preservation of the breed/s. Nowhere in dedicated communities of animal lovers are breeders of reckless abandon looked upon kindly. Not even on Craigslist (home of backyard breeding) are these breeders completely tolerated. I am all for helping people who’ve made a mistake and need assistance. Hey, I’m currently benefiting from that assistance - albeit not due to a mistake of mine, but a choice to help babies clearly brought into this world without forethought. I had two cockatiels as a kid, no idea if they were male or female (gotten rid of *eye twitch*) we could have had babies, they had a little snuggle hut...in another family some people might have found themselves facing an unexpected arrival of extra birds and wanting to do the right thing for them. I thought Peeps (I call her The Wife now lol) was a boy until a certain sassiness took over my sweet boy. I had her DNA tested because gender matters a lot more in Latinate languages and I was having issues talking about/to my wife
:lol:

If there’s a genuine concern that we are endangering baby/female birds by discouraging uninformed breeding, it could be easily resolved by offering a pathway to informed dedicated breeding or even veterinary communities for their expertise. And if anyone is thick-skinned and even-minded enough to brave our community’s various opinions, we’re always here to help. That is a fact I think any of us could agree upon. :2cents:
:grouphug2:

@Zara sorry for looping you in on my rant, I just really loved and connected with your post :shy: then the ranting ensued :wacky: