• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toy Safety

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
So I was on amazon looking at bird stuff and I found this toy. I feel like it looks really unsafe because of all the rope ends that the bird is likely to chew on and possibly digest. :extremeanger:I hope no ones birds get hurt on it!
upload_2019-4-18_18-41-55.jpeg

Attachments

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Yup, looks dangerous to me too. Parrots can ingest cotton rope. My Farlie does, so I've replaced/rebuilt all my rope toys with leather strips. Chain is bad too.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
It makes me want to only make DIY toys so I can be certain everything’s safe! Btw Farlie sounds soo cute :xflove:

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
It makes me want to only make DIY toys so I can be certain everything’s safe! Btw Farlie sounds soo cute :xflove:
Actually, I do make all of Farlie's toys now.
I've spent about $100 over the past 6 months and have a small supply of toy parts now.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
HA! That used to be an incredibly popular toy and I'm sure I've bought it at one point or another in my early days of owning parrots! Please remember that any parrot can make anything dangerous. Most parrots will not ingest foreign objects such as rope but it's good to know your own parrot and I do not doubt that there are some out there who do ingest rope. I'd be lost if I could not use rope on boings and perches but I also have bigger birds for the most part. Chain isn't an issue for most birds either but some people absolutely will not use it, again it seems to be a problem for people with really big birds or really small birds. The biggest thing to remember is that you need to know your birds!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's why 99% of my toys I make or buy from other vendors here!

Ultramandyna

Strolling the yard
Totally agree with the dangers of this toy! My GCC kiwi loves chewing ropes, but without a doubt I know she will eat it.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Totally agree with the dangers of this toy! My GCC kiwi loves chewing ropes, but without a doubt I know she will eat it.
Yeah when the ropes intact it would be fine but when it’s all frayed like that!

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
After I found Farlie eating the rope perches, I removed all my rope perches and wrapped them in VetRap.

Ultramandyna

Strolling the yard
Same, I removed every single rope from the cage. Better safe than sorry! I think a possible alternative is paper though, you can make rope out of it. Kiwi won't eat it and it won't accidentally be swallowed because there's no fibres.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I bought a boing for the future bird (long time away but I’m super exited so I’m buying toys:roflmao::lol:) I hope the bird won’t chew it :bored:

Obviously if they even beak it I’ll remove immediately.