• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly about Meyer's Parrots

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
The attributes listed in this thread are the experiences of each individual and your experiences may differ with your individual bird.

This is based on my experience with two Meyer's (6 & 17 year old birds) who have been in the past in difficult situations and with Meyer's who I have been around who have had an "easier" life so far.

The Good -

Amongst the Poicephalus family, they are the ones who have the best reputation of being "family" birds, which means that they are less prone to developing the "one person" syndrome. However, proper and plentiful socialization is key, as with any other bird, in order to make this happen. They can also have a very sweet predisposition. I know a number of Meyer's who have been with a loving family since day 1 and they are just the sweetest little things.

The Bad -

They are still Poicephalus, and these birds generally do know very well what they want/don't want...so if you are trying to get them to do something they don't want/aren't ready to do, they'll let you know. As well, I have found that my Meyer's have been the ones who will make that high pitch Poi call the MOST. They will do it daily and generally if one starts, the other follows. It's one of the things I like the least about them, but luckily, they won't do it all day long.

The Ugly -

As I said earlier, they know what they like/don't like. I live with a Meyer's who's had bad experiences in the past, and I'm sure some of them were at the hands of a women. He HATES women. While there has been some progress in the nearly 5 years we have lived together, he will still try and attack whenever the mood strikes him. I've been bitten once really bad by him - it's the been the worst parrot bite I've ever sustained (and I've been bit by much bigger parrots). They can also be very brawny and fearless and go after birds they shouldn't (birds who are either much stronger/bigger/known to have hurt them in the past). For example, I think Zuri has a death wish at times as he will, occasionally try to go after Petey and the few times he's managed to do so, he has been on the losing end...yet, it doesn't stop him from trying again.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Shade. :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just came on to write this for you Saemma. Guess I will just do a post about Nemo.
Yes, please consider writing it under this same thread so we can all see how different the Meyers parrot can be. Thank so much Vicki. :)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Love it! Will add about weeble after lunch. Love the middle section, shade. Cracked me up because her motto is definitely "I do what I want!!!(and you should do what I want, too)." Lol. I do so love her stubborn, bossy little attitude, especially because she can be sooooo sweet. When she wants, lol. :D

jblackard

Checking out the neighborhood
I'm looking for the "golden bird", my family and I want a long term companion. My game plan is to pair up two females. I'm looking for a medium to small bird, that lives 20 plus years, that likes to play, that is not loud and doesn't bond to just one family member. Would you consider a Meyers parrot to meet these requirements ? If not what else would you suggest reference bird species?

Animal_lover

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sarah
I don't consider my Meyers playful. He likes his toys and loves his scratches though. Maybe a Senegal would be more playful. I :heart: Jojo dearly though....he's my little buddy.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
About Itsy, Meyer's:

Mostly the same as Natacha said but no attacking of humans here.

Good:

She is the cutest little thing! She is soft and likes to be kissed and snuggled and pet. She says a few words and does some cute imitations (cell phone ringing). She will lay on her back in my hand. She eats pellets and veggies and chews up her wood toys so is fairly easy to please.

Bad:

She does the Meyer's screech which is annoying. She bites first and asks questions later. This happened more in the past as she hasn't done it lately so I've either learned to read her better or she was biting more when she didn't feel good or a combination of the two. She does still lunge and hiss and I do use a stick when I suspect she might bite so it is likely a good portion of the former.

Ugly:

There's really nothing ugly about her but her fearlessness is the most problematic. She often attacks Darwin and will drive him off my shoulder. Lucky for her he is nervous of her and doesn't want to fight, but it is a danger.

Timothy

Moving in
Here's my experience with petri who I've had for two months.

The good:
He likes everyone. With new people he is a bit wary for a couple minutes but will sit on them calmly and not mind. He's very affectionate and full of personality. He LOVES getting his head and beak rubbed. He is also very playful. He loves playing in front of his window and singing and dancing. He can get chatty and contact call at certain times but it's not nearly as loud as most people make it seem. He will only contact call for about 5 minutes when I leave his sight, than stops. He can be very independent, but also very affectionate. Sometimes you can't keep him off you! He loves making people laugh! He does the funniest things just to make us laugh!

The bad:
He's stubborn. Very stubborn. If he doesn't want to step up, he won't. I have to literally pry him off his cargo net sometimes. And when I do this he freaks out and bites. He knows I won't take crap and he's getting pryed off no matter what, he still won't give in tho. He never stays mad at me for this he just gets ticked off for a few minutes. Other than that he's awesome.

The Ugly:
No ugly.

Birdcoocoo

Meeting neighbors
This is so great learning about all of the Meyer's I especially enjoyed reading about Nemo. I have recently brought a baby Brown-Headed Parrot home and there's no a lot about the BHs so I've heard that Meyers are similar and this forum has been great. Thank you all for sharing!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
This is so great learning about all of the Meyer's I especially enjoyed reading about Nemo. I have recently brought a baby Brown-Headed Parrot home and there's no a lot about the BHs so I've heard that Meyers are similar and this forum has been great. Thank you all for sharing!

All small Pois are fairly similar I find and some characteristics do fit them all :)

Debby S

Meeting neighbors
I have a 5 month old Meyers parrot named Sunny and I have only had him for a month but here goes.
The Good: He is very playfull and acrobatic, and he likes to hang upside down by one foot. He loves his head scritches and bows his head to let you know its time. He has just started to talk and the first thing he copied was my Red Belly making laughing sounds. He also learned "pretty bird" from her. He makes the sweetest sounds and sings for up to an hour sometimes. He is very even tempered and just takes things in his stride. He is a very good eater, and gets so excited when I am in the kitchen making his meal. He runs to his dish to eat immediately. He eats and plays with gusto!

The Bad: He does not like to be in his cage and at night he can decide he does not want to go in his cage to sleep and he hisses and nips if you try to step him up. I use a stick to step him up when that happens, so not very bad.

The Ugly: No ugly to report yet

Attachments

Cassiopejaz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
Since it been a while since someone posted here i go with Toby :)

Good:
He is a cuddly calm little thing...He is also a nice bird to other ppl, i am the chosen one but he does accept everyone that he knows...are u a stranger he will keep his distance, but wont attack.
he loves neck scritches :D

Bad:
his way to tell he doesnt want more scritches?...try to bite ya.
He is compared to Jack (WB Caique) quiet, but he has a high pitched scream, doesnt reach a Sun conures pitch luckily :D
He is JEALOUS, other Humans is ok...but Jack is NOT...as long Jack are out with his toys its fine, but do Jack wanna come to me then i MUST put Toby in his cage first.

Ugly:
Nothing really...or well the Jealousy..;)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
his way to tell he doesnt want more scritches?...try to bite ya.
He is compared to Jack (WB Caique) quiet, but he has a high pitched scream, doesnt reach a Sun conures pitch luckily :D
He is JEALOUS, other Humans is ok...but Jack is NOT...as long Jack are out with his toys its fine, but do Jack wanna come to me then i MUST put Toby in his cage first.
How does he react with the jealousy? It seems I may have a Meyer joining my flock at the end of the year, so I am curious of the severity of the jealousy. Do they fight more just open mouth stomp about?

Devon R

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Devon Robertson
Is everyone’s Meyers / red bellies Hand raised or anyone got experience with a parent raised young one ?:)
Thanks

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
The Good:

-Affectionate
-Cuddly
-Very trainable.
-Not overly needy.
-Doesn't get jealous of other people.
-Doesn't get spooked easily by new people, things or sounds.
-Beautiful, agile flyers.
-Beautiful, understated colors.
-Not consistently loud.

The Bad:

-Likes to chew picture frames.
-Agile flyer and can land on virtually anything, which they will promptly destroy.
-Can have a high-pitched beeping call.

The Ugly:

-Mine was very bird-aggressive.
-Can hold grudges if they feel you slighted them.