• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage advice

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Hi all! This is my new baby, Galahad, he's a black capped conure. He won't be coming home for a few weeks so I have been going in circles deciding on a cage for him. I currently have a lovebird who is in a cage similar to this one, but it has the flat top, it's 18x18 and seems fine for her. After visiting Galahad today and seeing his wing span while not yet full grown, I'm not so sure about this cage. The next size up seems gigantic. My stipulations are I like a heavy, rolling cage, and swing out bowls. I have two cats in my flock (yes I'm very careful about supervision) and the floor cages are the safest. Of course he won't be spending all of his time in his cage, but I want him to have a comfortable house for while I'm at work.

Attachments

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My conures are in a 33"x25" Kings Cage. Trust me, as long as the bar spacing isn't too big, no such thing as too big of a cage. 18x18 is too tiny for an active conure.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My conures are in a 33"x25" Kings Cage. Trust me, as long as the bar spacing isn't too big, no such thing as too big of a cage. 18x18 is too tiny for an active conure.
I've actually thought it's too small for my lovebird, too, but she is out a lot.

AiyanaCSake

Meeting neighbors
@Leih my green cheeks cage is actually huge for him. But that’s because when I’m at work I know he will be very bored, so it’s colored in toys and perches. If you feel your bird will be out of its cage every day and only in that cage for sleeping, eating and what not I think it’s perfectly fine.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Last edited:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@DoubleTake that one is awesome! Do your birds all share a cage?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@Leih my green cheeks cage is actually huge for him. But that’s because when I’m at work I know he will be very bored, so it’s colored in toys and perches. If you feel your bird will be out of its cage every day and only in that cage for sleeping, eating and what not I think it’s perfectly fine.
I definitely have lots of toys for my birds and I change them often. I think I'm leaning towards one size bigger just in case. Better to be huge than too small I think. Just the cost is exponential.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think @Lodah has a cage for Pilo like the one @DoubleTake said.

I would go for the bigger one If I were you :)

I have a lovebird in an 18x18x40 and I hate it. But I like that it fits in the gap in the corner. When I leave this apartment the cage isn´t coming with us ;)

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@Zara yeah, I don't like my 18x18 for my lovebird either. I'm leaning towards one that I saw you post somewhere else, but I dislike that the version available in the US doesn't have that cute little half moon door!

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Last edited:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@Zara I've looked on Amazon, Wayfair, mybirdstore.com, overstock.

Have you all noticed how there will be cages that look identical to the brand names like ae and Prevue and Kings but listed as a different brand? Are knock offs a thing? My concern is of course toxicity in materials ...

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here's a good link giving wingspan information and minimum cage sizes: Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages

Cages should be at least 1.5 and preferably twice the length of a bird's wingspan to give them room to move. The average wingspan for a Black-Capped Conure is 15" so an 18" cage would barely give him room to stretch his wings without hitting the sides.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@tka that is an excellent resource! Thank you so much!

Reactions: tka

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Leih you are growing your flock! Congrats!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
@Leih you are growing your flock! Congrats!
I really am! My friends think I've lost my mind hahaha this is my limit, though! Bird room at maximum capacity.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@tka that is an excellent resource! Thank you so much!
No problem! I think your instinct that the cage is too small is entirely correct - just wanted to give you some information to be confident in making that call.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Zara I've looked on Amazon, Wayfair, mybirdstore.com, overstock.

Have you all noticed how there will be cages that look identical to the brand names like ae and Prevue and Kings but listed as a different brand? Are knock offs a thing? My concern is of course toxicity in materials ...
I´m really not sure.
My cage with the little door is a Montana cage - made in USA, but not on American amazon... I donb´t understand why they aren´t sold there... I was surprised to see it being sold also as ¨Kings cage¨.... I don´t understand why two companies sell the same product unless they use the same manufacturer/supplier.
I had a look on your amazon and couldn´t find the cage. just one without the little door for 240.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I´m really not sure.
My cage with the little door is a Montana cage - made in USA, but not on American amazon... I donb´t understand why they aren´t sold there... I was surprised to see it being sold also as ¨Kings cage¨.... I don´t understand why two companies sell the same product unless they use the same manufacturer/supplier.
I had a look on your amazon and couldn´t find the cage. just one without the little door for 240.
It's so weird that it's an American brand but not sold in the US! Everywhere I've looked is Europe. Oh well, I'll get the version we have. I think it's the best option overall, since it's so wide. Plus the shelf on bottom looks handy. Eventually I'll probably get one for my lovebird, too.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is Gigi's King's cage. I think it's just so pretty in cream. Looks way better than the picture online. It was confusing that 2818 is it's number and also the number of another cage that has vertical bars and the feed dishes are placed differently. I bought it directly from King's. I was told they are the manufacturer but perhaps they manufacture a similar cage for another company. I highly recommend this cage for a small bird. Gigi loves it, uses all of it, it's easy to clean and oh that little door....
upload_2019-3-27_10-54-36.jpeg