• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hybrid Macaw DNA Test

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I’ve read that a DNA test of a first generation hybrid will be able to tell you the parent species. However as I understand it this will not work for 2nd or 3rd generation hybrids as the test in the US can only identify a pure species. I recently came across a post in a hybrid group where they said testing is available in Europe for 2nd and 3rd generation hybrids with the ability to identify both parents - pure and hybrid. I’m wondering if anyone on here has heard of this test available in Europe. The subject interests me and I’d like to learn more about it.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That sounds neat. :) I wonder how accurate it is. I've heard the dog DNA tests aren't very accurate because the folks developing the test have to choose a specimen from each breed to represent that breed as a pure baseline, but who can know for sure? At least with parrots there are pure specimens (or more likely pure) to choose from so it could be a more accurate test.

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I read about it on macaw hybrid group on fb and now i can’t find the posts (I’m in too many hybrid groups) and I asked specifically because I thought they could only test first generation hybrids and the woman told me that Europe was much more advanced in testing in hybrid DNA testing.