• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to feed??

Pickle33

Moving in
Hello, I am new here and getting my lutino tiel in about a week, she is tamed and weaning and I have visited her twice. My question is what to feed her, I will obviously slowly transition her but I think they just give seeds. I looked up a chop ypu can buy as a daily maintenance and I was considering that with pellets. What are your thoughts?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
'tiels do need seed. Mine get Volkman Avian Science Super Cockatiel no sunflowers. They also get Caitec Oven Fresh Bite pellets (small). In addition, they get cooked mixed veggies and for treats Lafeber Avi-cakes and Parrot Popcorn and Avian Organics baked treats. They also get small pieces of unsalted roasted cashews every now and then.

BTW, welcome to AA and congrats on getting your 'tiel.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I feed my tiel mainly sprouts, mashed cooked veges( anything bird safe, more variety is better - kale/collard greens/peas/sweet potato/carrot/cauliflower/green beans/green peppers- I also add cooked quinoa grains), pellets(10-20%) and seeds and grains (20-50%), dehydrated veges as treats hidden in toys/foraging dishes(this isn’t necessary but is a healthy snack for them!) , and raw kale , broccoli and shredded carrot. You can feed boiled egg once a week if they are molting. Do not free feed sunflower seeds (2 per day advised max) , spinach ( high in oxalates- once a week is ok) , no junk food, no white bread , no potato(only sweet potato cooked), no celery stalks ( unless u remove stringy parts), chocolate + avocado is toxic, most fruit pits are toxic, strawberry and kiwi are safe with their very tiny seed, I don’t think grape seeds are safe so beware of seedless grapes that still have seeds. Feed fruit once every 2-3 days as high in sugar. You can offer healthy bird bread , unsalted popcorn once every 2-3 days as snacks .

Also be aware of Teflon pans( non stick pans with ptfe), food poisoning, metal toxicity( lead / zinc poisoning - costume jewelry) scented candles, popcorn machines, space heaters, hairdryers. Most of those listed have Teflon in them. Anything that smells bad might hurt them like paint fumes.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on getting your new tiel soon! I'm so glad that he will be fully weaned. After the adjustment period, I would try to get him started eating fresh foods. In addition to fresh foods, tiels should eat seeds and pellets. My birds eat Goldenfeast Australian Blend seed mix, Roudybush pellets, a little bit of AviCakes and Nutriberries as treats, Phoenix foraging green chunks, Texas Natural Freeze Dried Chop, and sprouts. I can't wait to hear all about your little bird!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
All my birds have Hagen Gourmet Cockatiel as a base for their diet. It's a quality mix of seed and pellets, with dried fruits and fully supplemented.
My tiel loves a chop with plenty of beans in it (Red Kidney, Pinto), plenty of brown rice, quinoa and boiled egg. Greens like spinach and brocolli go in as well as a few saf-flower seeds and hulled sunflower seeds. Carrots and sweet potato for colour. Raisins aren't so popular but I still add a few for the budgies. This is still under development - adding one new ingredient a week.
I always clip a fresh red chilli (vit A) near the chop. My tiel loves it. He also drinks camomile tea for the last two hours each day.
Don't throw too much at her at once. Get a list of what she's already eating from the breeder and use that as your starting point. Add new ingredients gradually, maybe one or two new things a week.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
@Pickle33 Just to add, so you're aware. Sometimes the move to a new cage with a new human in a new house will stop a young bird from eating for a while. Don't get overly worried about this but feel free to post about it on this forum.
Also would it be possible for you to spend some time with her at the breeder's, so she gets to know you as a 'friendly' face? If you can establish a good relationship now the move will be a whole lot easier for her.

Last edited: