• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lovebirds as a first bird?

Sticky Feets

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
Hi all!! Newbie here! Never really had a bird before other than budgies my parents took care of as a child. Considering adopting a lovebird from a rescue. He’s currently caged with his sister. My question is would he be better off if I adopted both of them so he can have a companion when I’m not home? I would be more than happy to take both but again, have no bird experience. Also I will be starting residency in a few months with 40-80 hour work weeks depending on the month (most likely it’ll be about 50-60 per week most weeks, but our max cap is legally 80). I know intern year is busy but even once I become an attending several years down the road, doctors still chug out 40-80 hours work weeks. It’s gonna be like this until I retire. I’m looking at getting the AE flight cage so they have a ton of room. When I’m home, all my attention is focused on my animals (I have other exotics, snakes, tarantulas, geckos, but they’re super low maintenance) and my 2 dogs. Once the birds are tame and trusting of me I plan to include them with pretty much everything I do around the house (minus cooking). I do get a weekend (or at least part of a weekend) off every few weeks, and most weekends end up being short days where I get to come home early afternoon. What are people’s thoughts? Am I in over my head here? Also I haven’t even started the adoption application process yet (it’s pretty hefty and long) so I still have time to decide.

Also note, these 2 birds were a surrender due to a family emergency so they don’t really have any abuse/neglect history. From what I can tell, they were likely in an aviary setup since their parents were in one and all 4 birds are still learning to interact with people. I figured this should play a role into my decision as I am in no way capable yet to care for a bird that has seen worse days.

And last question, can a clipped lovebird do ok in that large AE flight cage with the lack of horizontal bars? The other cage I was considering is the larger Park Plaza cage from Prevue.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
First, you probably will want to get both, you wouldn't want to separate them, I don't believe that they will die without their mate, but they will be really sad, and miss the other one, so if your going to get one, you should get both.

Second, I'm not sure exactly if your schedule will work out with a bird, we'll see what the others say, but I think if you are able to devote enough time to your birds, then you should be ok, but just remember, love birds need consistent attention, if you leave them alone for a while, you might loose your bond with them.

Third, for your cage you will need one with horizontal bars, as birds love to climb, even with clipped wings. I'm happy that you are getting a large cage! Birds defiantly need it!

Last edited:

Sticky Feets

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
Thanks for the reply! I just read another thread about lovebirds getting aggressive with each other once they mature. I’m not sure how old the pair I’m looking at are and whether or not they are truly bonded. I’ll have to wait and see what the rescue says. The parents are listed as bonded and must be adopted together but the offspring not. I’m just worried I might have to separate the two down the line. Though at least I can still put their cages next to each other.

I’m ok if they aren’t super bonded to me, since I’ll know they have each other. I’d just like them to be tame enough to handle and play out of their cage, shower, perch next to me as I’m doing chores.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’m not sure how old the pair I’m looking at are and whether or not they are truly bonded.
I think this is a something you need to find out :)

If they are at least 8 months old and bonded, snuggling, preening and generally always together, then they should be kept together.
I wonder why the centre has listed the parents as bonded and must be adopted together and the offspring not? It could be they are not bonded or they are young.... or they are M F and don´t want someoone irresponsible breeding them.

For the amount of hours you work, you should really be looking at two birds, one would be lonely without you.

I have a true bonded sibling pair. They are 7 months old, we´ve already dealth with hormones because they had their baby nest box which they slept in and it set them off at 6months old.

For me personally, if I was you, I would take both. Even if there was chance they aren´t really bonded and end up housed separately. They will still have each others company.
There is always the risk even with a bonded pair of lovebirds that the hen will attack and kill the male, it is not uncommon.

Please keep us updated with your decision,

Welcome to the forum :)

edit:
I yes, I see you say M F. Then I bet that is why the rescue is happy to split them.
If you do take both birds, be prepared (and willing) to remove and destroy any eggs that appear in the future. If you aren´t willing to do that, don´t take the birds.

Last edited:

Sticky Feets

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
I think the rescue is just listing the, as a boy and girl for now. I doubt they know for sure since they haven’t DNA sexed the other birds available for adoption. Some of them have random updates where they realize their boys are actually girls cuz of eggs. I also do think it would be good for them to be adopted together, and then if they start fighting in the future I’ll just buy a second cage.

Now back to the cage...the Prevue park plaza has horizontal bars but is a bit smaller than the AE flight cage which is mostly vertical bars. The birds will be clipped due to the rescues preference and mine as well (my dogs don’t have a prey drive but will get excited by anything that moves really fast so I don’t want them flying around the house, I will have more control over the dogs than I would over a flying spooked bird). I read that smaller birds are still able to climb up vertical bars, but it seems like horizontal ones will give them more stability and range of where they want to climb. No matter what I will be adding lots of perches so they can get around since they won’t be able to fly. But I haven’t even started the application process yet so all this cage searching might just end up useless if I decide on not proceeding with the adoption. I just wanna get a head start on research just in case.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Horizontal bars are better for birds.
But I would go for the second cage you said. It is bigger. You can place perches, ladders and boings.
I have a similar size cage for 2 lovebirds it is 18*30*36 It´s a nice size for 2 birds.

The birds will be clipped due to the rescues preference and mine as well (my dogs don’t have a prey drive but will get excited by anything that moves really fast so I don’t want them flying around the house, I will have more control over the dogs than I would over a flying spooked bird).
All the more reason to allow the birds to grow their feathers. If those birds get out of their cage, they won´t stand a chance of getting away from your dogs.

Last edited:

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Most of us here on AA prefer to not clip our birds wings, but it's totally your choice. Like @Zara said, they won't be able to run from your dogs with clipped wings, they will only be able to hop.