• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

harness

junglechicken

Walking the driveway
i got a harness for the junglechicken around thanksgiving. just been too busy to think about working with it. got it out last night and played "get close to the harness for nutriberries". at first it had to be at least 6 inches away, but now he will take a nutriberry that is actually touching the harness. so that is good progress for one evening and one early morning!

i just need to find this bird some kind of "special" treat besides nutriberries. i don't mind him having one each day, but it's the only thing to get him to do something he doesn't want to do. he *might* do it for almonds, but again, i don't really want him having more than one each day. he doesn't really like fruit or fresh veggies (we are working on that.....it's very slow going....and so far all that has happened is i get fruit and fresh veggies flung at me). does anyone have any healthier alternatives?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I actually think nutriberries and almonds are pretty healthy. You can give him a piece of an almond- like the almond slivers, if you don't want to give him a whole one each time. You can also give him a sunflower seed.

Dgh

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dana
Mine get Nutriberries 3-4 everyday on top of veggies, seed and pellet. They make a pelletberrie.. Hulled not salted sunflower seeds are my go to with mine. Small pieces. Yes they are fatty but if they are halved or quartered. They enjoy it and it works on picky days. Almond slivers, pecan pieces, and some small cashew pieces work too. Good luck!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You do want to find a treat that you can feed in small portions... such as 1/2 to 1/4 the size of a sunflower seed.

So you might try other types of nuts, including pine nuts, sunflower seeds, dried fruits or?

Charlotte2727

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sara
how long does it take for them to wear the harness? cant you put it on them the same day you buy it? I want to get one for my sun conure.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
how long does it take for them to wear the harness? cant you put it on them the same day you buy it? I want to get one for my sun conure.
That's going to depend on the bird.... for many, a harness is like a predator wrapping around their body. It can be a very scary feeling! And definitely something you want to train if/when possible!

My mitred conure wears a harness and was pretty much lucky with him. He first wore one in his foster home and we just put it on and go. He does pick at it when we are inside but *generally* leaves it alone if we are outside. He's a bit unusual apparently when it comes to conures, although I don't know if being a first gen captive raised bird has anything to do with it. (both parents wild caught imports) He was 11 or 12 when he first wore a harness.

A good way to start training a bird to wear a harness is to create a loop in the leash large enough for them to stick their head through and teach them to put head through the loop for a reward. You also want to get them used to lifting up their wings, having wings manipulated, having the leash laying across their back, etc.

Charlotte2727

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sara
Thats good tips. My conure is like 4 months old. is it too young to take her outside ?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Not too young at all, but you do want to use a harness or carrier! (clipped wings is no guarantee a bird can't/wont get lost outside!)

Charlotte2727

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
sara
oh yeah her wings are clipped and she can still fly a lot.