• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Well this is new to me

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Tau is weirding out on me I swear. For the past 4 days she has been mastubating on anything she can. I've moved perches about but she's very determined, even distraction won't work. She has also started threatening lunges so I'm doing my best to work with her if I go into her cage for any reason.
That's not all. Today she has started doing what I can only describe as a 'snake dance' while singing close to me. And to top the cake off she's making heart wings at me.
What the h*!! I hope this is just hormones. So hormones or sexual confusion? :confused:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Holding the wings out when excited .It is done usually by males, especially in the presence of a female cockatiel.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I didn't think female tiels did much of the heart wings? :wideyed:
My thoughts exactly. I've never ever even heard of a female doing them personally. I'm now flattered, but confuddled at the same time. I'll try and grab some video, but none of my birbs co-operate with the camera.

Weelasmaree

Strolling the yard
Holding the wings out when excited .It is done usually by males, especially in the presence of a female cockatiel.
I love when they're running up to you and they hold their wings out a bit.
My thoughts exactly. I've never ever even heard of a female doing them personally. I'm now flattered, but confuddled at the same time. I'll try and grab some video, but none of my birbs co-operate with the camera.
Same :arghh:
They're always moving and shaking. No time for social media. :roflmao:

Marloz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My female does hearts wings but she was copying my male cockatiel or she was feel a bit to hot

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Well, if Tau is ready for :rolleyes: - (you know...) she must be feeling great!

Going through quite a hormonal phase here with 2 of my tiels. Just wish Lily would stop laying...:(

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Well, if Tau is ready for :rolleyes: - (you know...) she must be feeling great!

Going through quite a hormonal phase here with 2 of my tiels. Just wish Lily would stop laying...:(
I really do hope Tau isn't going to develop chronic egg laying. I'm prepared to do my bit but I still don't want it, for her.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
You won’t have to. Like I mentioned in your other post Tau is 100% all male and will never lay eggs. :fairy2: My female tiel started doing hormonal chirps at around that age , I thought it was kind of early but she hasn’t layed an egg yet thankfully ;D

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You won’t have to. Like I mentioned in your other post Tau is 100% all male and will never lay eggs. :fairy2: My female tiel started doing hormonal chirps at around that age , I thought it was kind of early but she hasn’t layed an egg yet thankfully ;D
There is some contention to her gender.
Most say female. I say female. From her behaviour and her sweet (not loud) singing I agree. Her behaviour when 'pleasuring' herself, flat back and lifted tail, soft clucking and small wing twitches says female. Also, yes her face is yellow, but it's washed over with grey.
But some still say male.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Okay. Let's have a final decision.
So, now you see what I'm seeing umpteen times every day, what do you think? Male or female?

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
Okay. Let's have a final decision.
So, now you see what I'm seeing umpteen times every day, what do you think? Male or female?
How old is she?
To me it seems so much like male behavior and Tau could look like a young male ;)...

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
How old is she?
To me it seems so much like male behavior and Tau could look like a young male ;)...
Going on 8 months (estimated by vet). I would have expected more frantic rub-a-dub from a male? (can I say that?)

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
Going on 8 months (estimated by vet). I would have expected more frantic rub-a-dub from a male? (can I say that?)
Cockatiels can take a long time molting, yet I don't know much about cockatiel masturbation, I haven't seen mine do it.
but every cockatiel looks the same in a very young age, Turbo looked a bit like your Tau when he was around the same age.
now he's over a year and has a completely yellow face, he's still molting tho!
What I've observed is that it takes a very long time for tiels to molt into their final state og colours.
I'll post a few pictures to compare...

Attachments

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Cockatiels can take a long time molting, yet I don't know much about cockatiel masturbation, I haven't seen mine do it.
but every cockatiel looks the same in a very young age, Turbo looked a bit like your Tau when he was around the same age.
now he's over a year and has a completely yellow face, he's still molting tho!
What I've observed is that it takes a very long time for tiels to molt into their final state og colours.
I'll post a few pictures to compare...
Yeah. I see the similarities there, especially the patchiness of the grey over the face. How old was he when he showed full maleness, ie yellow face and bright orange patches?
Yep. The moult takes ages, Tau's seems to have paused.

TurboTiel

Strolling the yard
Yeah. I see the similarities there, especially the patchiness of the grey over the face. How old was he when he showed full maleness, ie yellow face and bright orange patches?
Yep. The moult takes ages, Tau's seems to have paused.
I'm not entirely sure!
I think around 10-11 month, his yellow face really started to show!
If I remember correctly, I think his molt paused a bit as well and suddenly it came back and he molted faster. ;)