• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Seriously attacked by amazon!!!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Gee.. you are one brave soul. I've never let my big birds on my shoulder. Be careful..... those hormones aren't gone yet.
Trust... I give her benefit of doubt, and show her that hey, I'm not mad that you lost control, it's ok and you can trust daddy here... Getting mad, or showing fear is not the solution... You have to face it head on... My Zon is nearly 14, had her 8 of those. We have had a tremendous bond in those 8 years so far, so showing her it's ok to have hormonal attacks, I'm here. Helps a little. They don't fully understand it, it's frustrating and uncontrollable for them. They can learn to control it some, may never be easy.. but to say no can't have a biting Amazon is saying you don't understand the balance of nature. Hormones are a part of that in just about all species of animals.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Trust... I give her benefit of doubt, and show her that hey, I'm not mad that you lost control, it's ok and you can trust daddy here... Getting mad, or showing fear is not the solution... You have to face it head on... My Zon is nearly 14, had her 8 of those. We have had a tremendous bond in those 8 years so far, so showing her it's ok to have hormonal attacks, I'm here. Helps a little. They don't fully understand it, it's frustrating and uncontrollable for them. They can learn to control it some, may never be easy.. but to say no can't have a biting Amazon is saying you don't understand the balance of nature. Hormones are a part of that in just about all species of animals.
Clearly, I do have a full understanding hormones are uncontrollable for these birds, and I also am very accepting of it since I've had my two for 13 years. But I don't trust them to sit on my shoulder. Love them dearly.... but not on my shoulder. :)

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Yea
From what you've mentioned so far... I wouldn't be surprised. Unless it was an elephant.... then I might be surprised. :D[/qoute]
Um.....no elephant...too much poo to clean!! Mountain that is.
Oh geez, had 2 hawks, 2 owls, one racoon, one woodchuck, a flying squirrel, baby deer, a mountain lion, 2 monkeys, one falcon. All returned to wild, except the darn monkeys( never one of them again!!! )

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Clearly, I do have a full understanding hormones are uncontrollable for these birds, and I also am very accepting of it since I've had my two for 13 years. But I don't trust them to sit on my shoulder. Love them dearly.... but not on my shoulder. :)
My senny I don't trust in shoulder! He's a random biter. And hard too, my zon, never worried!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Well, day 2 after attack....I don't show fear or being scared towards birds...they sense that. I never do that.... Once you do, they control you, not the other way around. Point is your the alfa of the flock, you have to show that at all cost or lose that place in the flock. She's cuddled up next to me. IMG_20190322_123158.jpg

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If she's reverted to her normal self this fast, it doesn't sound like hormones to me. My guess is she was feeling defensive or afraid of something. Beware because it might happen again since you didn't identify the source of the problem. Glad she's back to being your cuddle buddy through.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
If she's reverted to her normal self this fast, it doesn't sound like hormones to me. My guess is she was feeling defensive or afraid of something. Beware because it might happen again since you didn't identify the source of the problem. Glad she's back to being your cuddle buddy through.
Her hormones are an every 4th or 8th day thing...this time of year, just this was the worst one yet. I gotten so used to her hormonal days I basically just ignored the signs
that day....She pinned eyes, fanned tail, raced back and forth, growled, cackled like a chicken when it's about to lay an egg, and goes from one foot to other foot when cackleing and belly
pulsates as she cackels. So yea, bad case of hormones. Just never seen an attack to that degree before.... now I know. Hormones can last a few hours to a whole day, before they subside enough for them to control themselves...then can start up again next day or a few days.... it never is always continuous.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Perhaps you were right, tell you why. She's been good since that vicious attack. Then suddenly tonite I changed into this wool plaid shirt... Same shirt I had on when she attacked. And wouldn't you know, she went into attack mode again, not as vicious and didn't get bit, but could see her growling and pacing back and forth, the closer I got to perch, the angrier she got.
I left the room changed shirt, to one color, and returned to room. She calmed down. Matter of fact she coo'd and want me to pick her up. No problem and sat with me the rest of night, let me pet her. Give me hugs before bed.
So, hmmm, my shirt set her off? Multi color wool button down shirt. Browns, and greens in color. Interesting ....I'm wonder if it's the color combination, maybe??? Still doesn't explain her cackeling she made the other nite.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So, hmmm, my shirt set her off?
Yes it did. And now probably combined with that other attack.
I also allow my birds on my shoulder, but when it comes to things like this (when you don't really know why, (but I also suspect fear more then hormonal)) I recommend for a while that not allow her their.
If she can she will go for your eyes, and when placed on your shoulder you will have no chance to see the attack and to react as fast as she can.

The thing that you are the Alpha, doesn't exist with bird like it exist with dogs. If it would she never had attacked you at all.
IMO the only things that works are to being calm and give them lots of love and understanding.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Yes it did. And now probably combined with that other attack.
I also allow my birds on my shoulder, but when it comes to things like this (when you don't really know why, (but I also suspect fear more then hormonal)) I recommend for a while that not allow her their.
If she can she will go for your eyes, and when placed on your shoulder you will have no chance to see the attack and to react as fast as she can.

The thing that you are the Alpha, doesn't exist with bird like it exist with dogs. If it would she never had attacked you at all.
IMO the only things that works are to being calm and give them lots of love and understanding.
Must of been the color of it... She still has the hormonal days, you can read that quite well.
10 birds and 40 years later still have things I find I missed and overlooked. Alfa, maybe wrong word, parrots are flock animals. Though I tend to believe they look upon the leader of the flock. Me! Lol...
I read her first before getting on shoulder, she'll ask or point, then wait for me to say it's ok. I wear glasses, so that'll get hit first...

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Must of been the color of it.
That's not sure. I believe she did attack this time because that shirt reminded her of the last attack.
In our world we are upset and hurt over that attack. She is upset over what she felt and why she had to attack you. She didn't do it to be mean, so don't take it personal.
That shirt should be put away and never be used again around her.
lfa, maybe wrong word, parrots are flock animals. Though I tend to believe they look upon the leader of the flock. Me! Lol...
You wish! LoL!
I wear glasses, so that'll get hit first...
That is good.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch would do kamikaze flying attacks when I wore the wrong hat, hoodie, whatever happened to set him off, triggers. Dobby when I met him wanted nothing to do with me till I realized he was worried about something on me, remembered the evil hats and took it off. A really pissed off big Maxi Pionus can do a lot of damage quick if you don't read the situation and duck down real quick. Lurch went after my sister once because she wore a coat he'd never seen before. He went almost for her face and I thought we were going to have to pry him off her kicking and screaming but at the last second he just thumped into her chest and looked up like OH, IT's YOU...he didn't know what to do after that and no blood was shed but another critical lesson learned. When they trigger all bets are off and you just have to get out of danger or duck quickly and retreat and remove the offending whatever from the area. I think Lurch thought a yeti had entered the room and he had to defend his flock to the death. I got bit a LOT before we came to a understanding with each other.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
That's not sure. I believe she did attack this time because that shirt reminded her of the last attack.
In our world we are upset and hurt over that attack. She is upset over what she felt and why she had to attack you. She didn't do it to be mean, so don't take it personal.
That shirt should be put away and never be used again around her.

You wish! LoL!

That is good.
She's actually not a mean bird at all, matter of fact she's sitting on my shoulder snuggled up against my face as I type here. I have a world of trust in her
and though the attack is not 100 % sure what set it off, she is not hard to read 99% of the time... that one percent I Let guard down and wasn't looking or paying attention.
But basically, she is a sweet heart. As for the shirt....I got it out and just held it, she bagan her amazon death dance until I hid it and put it away. then stopped. Hmmm
strange, but shirt is going in trash.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I can't wear red around my sparrow, Spee. He doesn't try to bite me (and if he did it wouldn't do any damage) but he totally freaks out. That color frightens him.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
That's great you found out the reason for the attack! Kobe will attack me if I let my hair down so it's always in a pony tail. I could gradually desensitize him to long hair if I had the time and inclination.