• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

We must collar Milton...

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Awwww... poor lil' bugger. I hope you find a collar that is practically perfect, and that Milty does not mind wearing too much! :heart:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I was going to leave the cover off Milton's cage last night...about 9:30 he started saying, "GOOD NITE...COVER UP"...over and over. So I covered him...this morning there were no pulled out feathers on the floor. So, we'll play it by ear and see what goes on tonight.

On the other hand, Milton got a new toy yesterday..."What The Shell" from Seriously Nutz. Usually I let a new toy hang on the outside of Milty's cage for a few days so he can get used to it... this one went right in.

At first, Milty was skeptical...then he touched (bit) it..it swung back then forward and bonked him on the beak! At first, he didn't know what to do...then he scolded the toy... "YOU BAD!"

He hasn't attempted to interact with it any more..but he is giving it "THE LOOK"...:rofl:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
At first, Milty was skeptical...then he touched (bit) it..it swung back then forward and bonked him on the beak! At first, he didn't know what to do...then he scolded the toy... "YOU BAD!"

He hasn't attempted to interact with it any more..but he is giving it "THE LOOK"...:rofl:
:rofl: I love the "YOU BAD!" You gotta love Milty :joyful::xflove:

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I was going to leave the cover off Milton's cage last night...about 9:30 he started saying, "GOOD NITE...COVER UP"...over and over. So I covered him...this morning there were no pulled out feathers on the floor. So, we'll play it by ear and see what goes on tonight.

On the other hand, Milton got a new toy yesterday..."What The Shell" from Seriously Nutz. Usually I let a new toy hang on the outside of Milty's cage for a few days so he can get used to it... this one went right in.

So funny! :rofl:

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
He does most of the damage at night...when we uncover him in the morning, you can see all the small pin feathers on the floor cage. The picking of established feathers can come at any time..usually when he thinks we're not looking....very sneaky.
This is what Uchtred has done for almost 2 years. We have run a bunch of tests and she was on a medicine but I think she's allergic to it.

I have noticed that this last two months the plucking has been worse with her pin feathers. It used to be every once in awhile I would find the pin feathers when we woke up now it seems like it's almost everyday and when I get home from work I'll find some. She doesn't pluck when I'm home. I know how frustrating it is :sadhug2:

Last edited:

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Bob, I’m sorry to hear...you know we all love Milton so much. Unfortunately Miss Coco is also wearing a collar - she occasionally picks herself quite badly under her wing (same spot each time). We don’t know what’s causing it, but at times she’s picked a decent size hole there.

We bought collars from a woman on AA that said she was getting out of the business. I don’t know if she’ll still make you one, but I’ll look to see if I can find her contact information.

Yes, get a collar. He won’t be happy, but IMO it’s the lesser of evils.

Attachments

Last edited:

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Hey Milton, Do you still need a collar? I make them all the time. I will gladly send you a few n/c. Can't have a bald Weather Bird!

IMG_20190321_220107.jpg Photo Editor-20181223_211426.jpg

Attachments

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I'm so sorry. I was really hoping he would stop. I saw somewhere on line a place that made cute petal collars but I'm not sure if they are just for little birds or not.

I found it- they have them for big birds too. Protective Parrot Petals by Pam - Home | Facebook
I can't say enough about Pam. She overnighted collars for Giggie when she mutilated. My vet is very much against collars mainly because she's seen people not pay attention to their weight and water intake. But we honestly thought we might lose her that time. She really, really cares.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
...Yes, we've discussed meds. I really don't want to go that route...the meds would, in all probability, alter Milton's personality in radical ways. I'd only consider them if Milty would start opening wounds on his body.
I'd recommend gabapentin first before going the other meds. But yes, I can do nakkie babies but not chewing holes in themselves babies.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
So sorry to hear that he is picking again. :sadhug2:

:coffeescreen: Scolding the toy, he is always such a hoot. You tell that toy Milton or better yet rip it to pieces and really show it who is boss!!! :lol:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@cassiesdad If you are looking for AviCalm, my local animal feeds store does have some container of the original product w/an expiration date of 09/20 (I know because I got one). I can pick one up and send it to you, please just let me know.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
We've decided that Milton must have some type of collar...his plucking is getting worse. He's starting on his back, and his feathers are now gone on his legs. :(

Asking all you about places who create collars...I'd appreciate any recommendations you have...thanks from Milton and his humans...
Hello, if I may chime in and offer a bit of my opinion based on my experience with too's.
Several years back I had a major Mitchell cockatoo...had him 20 years, old age caught up to him at around 67.
Plucking you mentioned happens at night...that's typical. Believes it or not, some birds are actually afraid of the dark. More so when they are covered at night. My too began plucking after I gotten him, assumed it was stress. I kept a log of just when he did it, what all the nightly situations were, ( i.e. Noise, lighting, environment and etc.) So I experimented, major wasn't about to wear a collar, no way no how according to him.
I decided to put him in cage uncovered with lights off...a little improvement. Then put a night light on room. Just enough light to see in room so it's not pitch dark...a lot of improvement....still not enough.... So put up a ring perch and hung it from ceiling above cage where he could climb up, and he chose that as his go to at bed time. Lo and behold, he quit plucking! Never plucked after that.
Lesson I learned was some birds are programmed to seek the highest perch at night. In the wild, that's what they actually do. It s an instinct that protects them from preditors, and it's never fully dark in the wild, you have moon light....so night light takes its place. A bird confined in the dark will feel it can not escape if a predictor were to come around ( it's a natural DNA instinct, such as a parrot knows a hawk is a preditor, even thou the parrot was born in captivity and never seen one, they know from instincts) does this make sense to you???
Try these simple tricks before resorting to the cone, it might just surprise you. The cone will stress the bird out more. They can get used to it, but don't expect them to like it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Bob, here is more reading for you. I took Jasper to Dr. Jenkins a few years ago while I was staying in San Diego. He has done a lot of research on plucking and worked closely with the Cloe Cockatoo Sanctuary. Maybe you can glean something from the article that will help Milton's situation.

Feather Picking - The Chloe Sanctuary for Parrots and Cockatoos

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I decided to put him in cage uncovered with lights off...a little improvement. Then put a night light on room. Just enough light to see in room so it's not pitch dark...a lot of improvement....still not enough.... So put up a ring perch and hung it from ceiling above cage where he could climb up, and he chose that as his go to at bed time. Lo and behold, he quit plucking! Never plucked after that.
Lesson I learned was some birds are programmed to seek the highest perch at night. In the wild, that's what they actually do. It s an instinct that protects them from preditors, and it's never fully dark in the wild, you have moon light....so night light takes its place. A bird confined in the dark will feel it can not escape if a predictor were to come around ( it's a natural DNA instinct, such as a parrot knows a hawk is a preditor, even thou the parrot was born in captivity and never seen one, they know from instincts) does this make sense to you???
Yes, this does make sense. :)A hung ring perch is an interesting idea, although it would be a physically difficult thing here, as Milty's cage really only clears the ceiling by about a foot to 18 inches...but we'll consider doing something like it...thanks for an unusual solution that I never would have thought of...:)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'd recommend gabapentin first before going the other meds. But yes, I can do nakkie babies but not chewing holes in themselves babies.
I agree totally! :heart:

We're going to help Milty through this...