• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can a parrotlet die of loneliness?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks MauiWendy, that is comforting. I really don't know what else I could have done anyway. Just confused, it was so sudden and unexpected.. And the house is so empty and silent now.
I'm soo sorry for you loss. I just had to put my Bugsy down Wed. She got ill very quickly, I didn't notice it at first, just moving a little slow and not screaming, she was at least 30. ER trip to vet Monday, she was falling off her perch. Birds are great at hiding their illness. I can so relate to the house being empty and silent. I think that is the hardest part to deal with. Please do not beat yourself up. I'm sure it did not die from loneliness. Bugsy spent many a day alone as I was a working single mom. We spent every evening together. I am sure you were a good mom.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am very very sorry for your loss. That would have been an intensely devastating thing to go through. :sadhug2:

Do NOT blame yourself. It sounds like you went through a lot already. These are only thoughts, nothing can be known without an autopsy or a clear medical history. 32g could be a heavy parrotlet. It is a good idea to keep a regular weigh in schedule. It helps a lot of determine health over time. Such a young death could be related to poor organ health.

Was he flighted? Was he on a high protein diet (i.e. standard pellet)? Uric acid build up is a common illness for mutated parrotlets which leads to kidney failure. Loneliness is unlikely a cause of death. Parrotlets are a fairly independent species. They are also high energy birds. They need room to fly and be active. If the diet was too rich and he didn't get a chance to exercise it could have been an illness similar to gout is humans. He also could have had fatty liver disease. Since he was so young, it could have even been a wide range to problems. It is impossible to know from what I know.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I know that feeling all to well. And there probably wasn't anything you could have done. Did the vet say what they he thought was wrong?
They have no idea. Sorry for your own losses, this is still new to us and the very good thing is that we are moving in 2 weeks time so we will not be reminded of him at each corner of the house, only for activities he used to join us to. I've been taking care of my other birds and animals this morning but they are not tame as Twitter was, it is really not the same.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm soo sorry for you loss. I just had to put my Bugsy down Wed. She got ill very quickly, I didn't notice it at first, just moving a little slow and not screaming, she was at least 30. ER trip to vet Monday, she was falling off her perch. Birds are great at hiding their illness. I can so relate to the house being empty and silent. I think that is the hardest part to deal with. Please do not beat yourself up. I'm sure it did not die from loneliness. Bugsy spent many a day alone as I was a working single mom. We spent every evening together. I am sure you were a good mom.
Oh boy, 30! That sounds even worst, how are you coping? We had Twitter for 1.5 year

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I am very very sorry for your loss. That would have been an intensely devastating thing to go through. :sadhug2:

Do NOT blame yourself. It sounds like you went through a lot already. These are only thoughts, nothing can be known without an autopsy or a clear medical history. 32g could be a heavy parrotlet. It is a good idea to keep a regular weigh in schedule. It helps a lot of determine health over time. Such a young death could be related to poor organ health.

Was he flighted? Was he on a high protein diet (i.e. standard pellet)? Uric acid build up is a common illness for mutated parrotlets which leads to kidney failure. Loneliness is unlikely a cause of death. Parrotlets are a fairly independent species. They are also high energy birds. They need room to fly and be active. If the diet was too rich and he didn't get a chance to exercise it could have been an illness similar to gout is humans. He also could have had fatty liver disease. Since he was so young, it could have even been a wide range to problems. It is impossible to know from what I know.
He was the same weight he always was, flying every day, eating various food and veggies, harrisson pellets and seeds recommended by the vet and breeder. The only possible thing is that he would have build up something slowly, but I can't imagine it would have killed him over night without any sign. Anyway, it is how it is and I can't do any better now. We loved him and he loved us the time we were together, he has gone his way and we have to go ours.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
He was the same weight he always was, flying every day, eating various food and veggies, harrisson pellets and seeds recommended by the vet and breeder. The only possible thing is that he would have build up something slowly, but I can't imagine it would have killed him over night without any sign. Anyway, it is how it is and I can't do any better now. We loved him and he loved us the time we were together, he has gone his way and we have to go ours.
If I can remember, I took Kiwi off Harrisons, and I think it was because of some build up. I just can not remember. But she was on Goldenfeast and did fantastic on it. She also go regular sunlight too. But I do remember that I took her off the Harrisons.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
yeah well, can't imagine what happened to him. I lost a budgie last Summer, but he had been sick for months so it was sad but the best that could happen at that stage. For Twitter though... Anyway yes, we'll cherish the memories of him for many years to come. I'm sorry for your own loss, is 50 a normal lifespan for a grey?
Probably a little more, but he hard a very tough life prior to me getting him. He was very handicapped, couldn't fly, deformed wing, couldn't walk deformed foot...crooked beak, made eating rough...but he was a great bird...I was lucky to have given him total happiness for his remaining years. I'd do anything to have him back!