• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What water bowls are safe for birds to bathe in??

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
Hi.
I just bought a beautiful little senegal parrot who I adore! :sennie:The person who's shop I bought her from, who has bred and taken care of her (along with her siblings) from birth, told me that she often bathes herself in little shallow water bowls, and just generally loves water! I want to make her happy, so I was planning on giving her a little, floral-patterned water dish to splash around in when she wants to bathe. However, I'm somewhat afraid that she could panic and drown if the bowl is too deep! I've heard too many horror stories about owners walking into a room, only to realize their bird has died after panicking because a bathing pool was too deep. Can anyone reccomend a pretty bowl or how deep I should fill the water bowl? Thanks!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
They only need an inch or two of water :)

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
Thanks dude! I know its a weird question, I just want my bird to be safe and happy^^
Thanks for answering all my weird questions!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
No that's not a weird question.
If you fill the bowl up to his belly that will be good.
For some reason they love to bath in their ss water bowl. Place it so he has room to spread his wings.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I used a large, rectangular glass casserole dish for my late Meyer’s. The extra room is nice.

My CAG only bathed in her water bowl. She hates everything else. I’m going to redouble efforts to acclimate her to a larger container or a mister.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My caiques ran back and forth under running water. :) My Linnie likes being misted with a spray bottle. My mynahs used a shallow ss pot in the bottom of the bathtub. Anything goes, I guess it depends on the bird. But I agree that it needs to be a safe idea with supervision.

upload_2019-1-4_11-35-33.jpeg

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
I use a pie plate in the sink under running water. An 8" square baking dish works too.

katebf38

Sprinting down the street
I used a ceramic pie plate. Tua, the pineapple conure, was not impressed. He went back to his cage and promptly plopped in his water bowl.:bash:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
In the summer my birds like the tap.
In the winter I put warm water on a plate (my birds are small), I use the same plates for sprouts ect:
img67397160.jpg