• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quaker Compared to Conure

Skippy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
I have previously had quakers and am now strongly considering a green cheek conure. I would love hearing from you if you have had both quakers and green cheeks. At this point I expect to have just the one bird, at least for a while. From your experience, which would do better being the only bird in the house? I am retired and can spend a lot of time with it. How do they compare as far as personality and playfulness? I know how exceptional quakers are with talking and interacting with their owner. I don't believe green cheeks are quite the talkers; maybe you can comment on that as well. I adored my quakers but am very intrigued with the green cheeks. I realize all birds are different, but would love your feedback. Thanks!

josiahdham

Moving in
Real Name
Josiah
I can only speak to a Green Cheek even though I’m probably going to be going to rescue a Quaker from my local Petco.

My green cheek isn’t a talker but man can she mimic a noise!(she loves to make kissy noises at me when she wants off her cage. She’s not clipped but has never regained her ability to fly since she was clipped before I got her). I wouldn’t have any concern with either of them being an only bird as long as they are provided plenty of social interaction wth you(again only experienced green cheek and just reading about Quaker’s).

Linda(my green cheek) is extremely playful and fusses at my other animals(including chirping NO! When she knows the animals are doing something they shouldn’t...she’s a tattle tail). She loves to sit and cuddle in my lap and make chirping noises while sleeping cuddled up in my shirt(she’s not allowed on my shoulders or head). She will also entertain herself all day with toys if she has to and plays all day with them depending on her mood depends on if it’s her chew toys, shred toys or forage toys are her chosen victim.

She’s definitely a quiet little girl as the only time she really gets loud is when my significant other gets home and let’s her out of her cage before I get home and she makes her flock call for a few minutes. She makes plenty of chirps throughout the day but her flock call is her loudest and the only one you would really hear from another room in the house.

I worked hard to make sure she was well socialized with other people so she tolerates everyone but I am definitely her chosen one(she’s cage aggressive towards everyone but me...unless you’re using her rope perch to get her off her cage).

Honestly, I am so very happy she was my first official venture into the parrot world(brother has an Amazon, family friend has cockatoos). I know you said you’ve had parrots before but Green Cheeks are a whole new personality and everyone I know falls in love with her when they meet her.

Skippy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
I can only speak to a Green Cheek even though I’m probably going to be going to rescue a Quaker from my local Petco.

My green cheek isn’t a talker but man can she mimic a noise!(she loves to make kissy noises at me when she wants off her cage. She’s not clipped but has never regained her ability to fly since she was clipped before I got her). I wouldn’t have any concern with either of them being an only bird as long as they are provided plenty of social interaction wth you(again only experienced green cheek and just reading about Quaker’s).

Linda(my green cheek) is extremely playful and fusses at my other animals(including chirping NO! When she knows the animals are doing something they shouldn’t...she’s a tattle tail). She loves to sit and cuddle in my lap and make chirping noises while sleeping cuddled up in my shirt(she’s not allowed on my shoulders or head). She will also entertain herself all day with toys if she has to and plays all day with them depending on her mood depends on if it’s her chew toys, shred toys or forage toys are her chosen victim.

She’s definitely a quiet little girl as the only time she really gets loud is when my significant other gets home and let’s her out of her cage before I get home and she makes her flock call for a few minutes. She makes plenty of chirps throughout the day but her flock call is her loudest and the only one you would really hear from another room in the house.

I worked hard to make sure she was well socialized with other people so she tolerates everyone but I am definitely her chosen one(she’s cage aggressive towards everyone but me...unless you’re using her rope perch to get her off her cage).

Honestly, I am so very happy she was my first official venture into the parrot world(brother has an Amazon, family friend has cockatoos). I know you said you’ve had parrots before but Green Cheeks are a whole new personality and everyone I know falls in love with her when they meet her.
Oh my - Thank you so much for your reply. I have already paid for a GCC baby and will be able to get him the end of April. I have prob been driving the breeder crazy asking for pictures and videos of him. He is a yellow-sided high red. I am so excited! ❤❤