• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel crop clearing

BC2

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Bethany Castellanos
My cockatiel just had a large pellet shaped something fly out of her beak. It looked like she was clearing her crop but I've never seen such a large chunk of something come out before! It was tan on one side and green on the other, and not liquid.
I'm trying not to freak out. The vet we have access to does not specialize in parrots. Otherwise, she is acting normally-chirping and walking around and interested in what's going on. Is this a cause for concern, or an unusual but harmless thing?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What do you think the object was? Check the cage for any toy parts missing.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Can you find the object and take some photos? I don't recall ever witnessing anything like this myself.
Maybe a lump of indigestible food, seed husks and such. Or impaction, though it"ll be the first time I've heard of a bird clearing that by themselves.

Last edited:

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
That does sound very unusual for a cockatiel. Do you still have whatever it is that they expelled? Was it organic? Do check the toys in her cage for any loose beads or parts. Hope she's ok and keep us posted please!