• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I Held a Macaw for the First Time

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
You didn't happen to go to the one in Arlington Heights did you? I was just there today looking for better pellets and the lady came to pickup her new hyacinth! The blue ekkies are stunning but I only adopt. There's 4 rescues near us and one has a whole warehouse full of birds for adoption, sadly. Lots of the big birds too.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I live in AH and stop in at ParrotStars every couple of weeks; partly to buy chop and partly to visit the birds. Did you have a chance to scritch Juno, the black palm cockatoo? She's 26 or 27, prefers men when out of cage but if you walk up to her cage and talk to her she gets the bird vibe. She'll slowly walk over to the corner of the cage and slowly lower her head for scritches. If you hit the right spot her facial feathers covering her pink skin will fold back like a fan. I took my son with me to the store last Saturday after the local bird show and James (NOT a bird person usually) fell in love with her. He was able to to have her move from one perch to another so that he'd get a better "scritch angle". It was the first time I've really seen James look at a parrot in awe. In the conversation while going home, James said that he had the money to buy Juno but he'd need more to buy the right cage and food. He also mentioned his working hours; he's a freelancer with connections to companies that do lighting and sound for large events so his hours vary and can be tasking even for him (midday to 5/6 the next day) and HE said it wouldn't be fair to Juno.

I'm not sure about the spelling - Juno or Juneau? I believe she's 26 or 27 and had been purchased for ParrotStars breeding program. The big hitch is that she wanted no part in "getting happy" with a black palm male. So ParrotStars is trying to find a home for her. You must have been there when the last juvenile ekie was picked up to go to his forever home. They had 2 African grey fledglings but they were being introduced to a prospective family and are kept completely separate from the store birds.

They also sometimes bring out Noodles, a female hy who is a people bird but they have a male hy who isn't as friendly. The golden conures are adorable and such clowns too. @cassiesdad I have photos which I have to download for you and anyone else who's interested.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
:faint: I love all this talk of birds. I have to make it up there one day, ParrotStars sounds awesome. I've never seen a black palm cockatoo in person- I think I might actually faint if I did, lol. AH isn't too far from me, I have to convince Dad to take me, lol.

For those in the suburbs, there's a store called Chicago Bird House in Orland Park, they are a bird only store and board birds as well as selling handraised babies, I've met many a cutie in there. I just go in to visit the birds, most of the time I don't even buy anything lol.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
In Spain we don't have any bird only pet stores. And the pet shops we have sell few bird supplies.
Occasionally in a regular pet store there may be a macaw or a an African grey that someone is trying to sell through the store. My friend got guilt tripped into buying an African grey for almost double the price of a chick. The bird is a year old and was in such bad condition, she'd been plucking, only one tatty flight feather left on her, the rest of her feathers in bad condition and the shop owner was letting everyone pester her, poor thing. He's has her a couple of months and she's looking much better.

My local park has 2 centres, one is marine the other is safari and at the marine centre they will let people hold the macaws if you don't have a child sat close to you. The birds are all donations from people who have passed or couldn't take care of them and they don't breed any of these birds in their parks.
They will talk about them and promote recycling. The girl always holds people's hands in a way they can't drop their arm and scare the bird.
I don't like all zoos/parks but this little place is ok. They aim to educate rather than entertain.
Screenshot_20190218_101908.jpg Screenshot_20190218_095836.jpg Screenshot_20190218_095742_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

I would love an all bird pet store to open here but I can't see that happening anytime soon :(

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
:faint: I love all this talk of birds. I have to make it up there one day, ParrotStars sounds awesome. I've never seen a black palm cockatoo in person- I think I might actually faint if I did, lol. AH isn't too far from me, I have to convince Dad to take me, lol.

For those in the suburbs, there's a store called Chicago Bird House in Orland Park, they are a bird only store and board birds as well as selling handraised babies, I've met many a cutie in there. I just go in to visit the birds, most of the time I don't even buy anything lol.
ParrotStars is only a couple of blocks away from the Arlington Heights village train station literally. One block north and 3 blocks east if you went public transportation route.

In Spain we don't have any bird only pet stores. And the pet shops we have sell few bird supplies.
Occasionally in a regular pet store there may be a macaw or a an African grey that someone is trying to sell through the store. My friend got guilt tripped into buying an African grey for almost double the price of a chick. The bird is a year old and was in such bad condition, she'd been plucking, only one tatty flight feather left on her, the rest of her feathers in bad condition and the shop owner was letting everyone pester her, poor thing. He's has her a couple of months and she's looking much better.

My local park has 2 centres, one is marine the other is safari and at the marine centre they will let people hold the macaws if you don't have a child sat close to you. The birds are all donations from people who have passed or couldn't take care of them and they don't breed any of these birds in their parks.
They will talk about them and promote recycling. The girl always holds people's hands in a way they can't drop their arm and scare the bird.
I don't like all zoos/parks but this little place is ok. They aim to educate rather than entertain.
View attachment 296840 View attachment 296841 View attachment 296842

I would love an all bird pet store to open here but I can't see that happening anytime soon :(
Don't kid yourself there aren't that many bird only shops. This one is particularly clean as sanitized as a store open to the public could be. They now offer grooming services but it's by appointment only and you use a back entrance so the bird to be groomed doesn't come in contact with the store birds.

I believe there is another bird only store in the city but I've heard some scuttlebutt about them (which I'm not going to repeat) but you have to make an appointment to see a bird. An older couple I know have a mom-and-pop shop in Kenosha where they sell bird supplies and birds but you also have to make an appointment to see a bird.

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
@MisfitHouse Yes, I went to ParrotStars in AH. We go there periodically to buy their chop.
But this weekend I got to hold a big, beautiful Hyacinth at the Bird Gardens of Naples! I haven’t had time to do a proper post on that experience but here’s a pic. I am working my way up quickly!

CFA9573C-616B-4249-A8E2-45386D11E004.jpeg

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
@SandraK, It was my first time there looking for supplies. I didn't know anything about Juno (Juneau) but glad to learn. She is gorgeous.
@d_msparkles, That is a fantastic hyacinth. If I get back to Florida I may have to go to that park. :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
@SandraK, It was my first time there looking for supplies. I didn't know anything about Juno (Juneau) but glad to learn. She is gorgeous.
@d_msparkles, That is a fantastic hyacinth. If I get back to Florida I may have to go to that park. :)
Did you get a chance to scratch her? I know I initially felt some trepidation about sticking my fingers into her cage but she is so calm and moves slowly. My eldest son James (definitely NOT a bird person) was in awe of her and she'd changed perches to get closer so James could scritch her on her crest and on the ack of her neck.

MisfitHouse

Strolling the yard
Real Name
ToriB
@SadraK, no, there's a sign about not putting your fingers in the cage so I respected that though I really wanted to...

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I'd asked if I could with Juno/Juneau and she's about the only one I do scratch. They didn't have many birds there yesterday, all the hys are gone but they still had2 young macaws, two pairs of very mischievous looking golden conures and 3 of the blue mutation ekkies. They had a Cape parrot, and several different types of smaller conures. They had a beautiful white face tiel who was meeting with her soon to be parents; not completely weaned so her "parents" will have to wait another3-4 weeks before she goes home.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman