• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bringing a Sun Conure Home

Haley Wheeler

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Haley Wheeler
I'm planning on getting a sun conure in the next few weeks and I've been doing research on them. I'm a stay at home mom so I'm home all day. I also already have a Budgie. But I still have some questions!

• I know Conures like a schedule, so would it be best to feed him/her at certain times?
  • I have a Budgie, who stays out most of the day. Can Sun Conures and Budgies get alone? How would I get them used to each other? And is it best to keep both their cages in the same room?
  • How long do I need to wait after I bring my Conure home before I can start getting him/her used to me?

Thanks, Haley

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have a Budgie, who stays out most of the day

Not a good mix of species. Conures have a strong personality and budgies can go either way. I would definitely not let them out of the cage together. If they are going to be in the same room then the Conure just may attack the budgie through the cage bars.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
So, I have a sun conure and a budgie (and a crimson-bellied and 3 cockatiels). The conures show no aggression towards the budgie when he's in his cage, but do *sometimes* try to follow him around if they're out together. It's never gotten any worse than that, thankfully, but I also keep a super close watch and it took me a few months to get to this point (just because I wasn't sure how they would get along once I introduced the sun conure a few years ago). Because birds have such distinct personalities, anything is possible, to be honest. So I would take BABY STEPS in terms of allowing any sort of cohabitation (cages in the same room, I mean). It's one day at a time with close supervision for best results, in my opinion. Also, my sun conure is the most jealous of all the birds in my flock, for what it's worth. She tolerates but does not love it when I act all cuddly with any of the other birds, if that makes sense. Just my 2 cents and I hope it all works out for you and your flock!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think birds should have access to food 24/7. They typically don't overeat like some other types of animals do. Although I tend to only feed fresh food in the evening but that's because I work and don't want it sitting out all day if I leave it in the morning. As for how long before you can start interacting with your bird, it really depends on the bird. Some want interaction right away. Some need some time to settle in. So you just need to follow the bird's lead.

Kodigirl210

Please be sure to quarantine your new bird in a totally separate area for at least 30-days from your other bird. If you can’t do it for that long, please at least wait until the results from the vet clear the conure from diseases. I also allow my GCC to have hookbill mix all the time and then provide fresh fruit/veggies x2 a day and chop once a day. Good luck :)

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
When you leave the room where the bird is in quarantine be sure and wash your hands after you leave. Birds are in quarantine for safety's sake, if there is an illness with the sun, the budgie may catch it.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Many congrats on your new baby!!!