• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Keeping floor around cages clean???

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I use newspaper too. Like Peachfaced, I put it down in strategic places. I weigh it down with pebbles so it doesn't fly away when the birds fly.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I use newspaper too. Like Peachfaced, I put it down in strategic places. I weigh it down with pebbles so it doesn't fly away when the birds fly.
That's clever! I've used toys that were thrown to the floor to help weigh it down, but I like your idea way better.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
You can use vynil carpet and desk protectors, paper, towels, sheets, old wool blankets, whatever works best for you. Dobby lives on the square vynil threshold for what would be the front door so I mainly just use a stick vac or our new robot vacuum to suck up all his pellets and garbage on the floor. Poopoff works great to desolve and clean off anything he craps on that isn't covered and cleans his cage floor grate nicely too and it's pet safe.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
This is a bit off topic but I wanted to share an approach that has been working with my Goffins for inside of his 36 in square cage. I found myself spending hours scrubbing the bottom grill. So I removed it. The cage is 5 feet and Winter never goes down to the bottom, so it’s safe. I precut 30 sheets of 36 by 36 squares from a roll of paper purchased online. Each month the 30 sheets go in, and every night I remove one carefully with all his dander, excess food and poop. Roll it up like a burrito and in the trash. This allows the cage to be very clean as I would never scrub the grate daily. It saves me hours of work. For certain birds like Grass Keets that spend time on the ground this obviously would not work.
I used to do that with Nerd and Lurch but they did go down from time to time to root around like chickens and didn't keep the cage perfectly so was always a bit concerned. Your idea of having lots of precut normal white printing paper down is a great one as just pull a sheet daily and it stays clean as long as they don't tend to splash and dump water as well.
Nerds old cage we just eliminated the plastic tray and put it in a larger box so we'd just pick it up and change the papers. When it got too chewed and dirty just get a new box from Costco. New cage is way bigger so that idea won't work for it.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I have nothing at the moment but am going to get plastic matting soon.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I've been using old newspapers. My neighbor saves 'em up for about a week then gives 'em to me in a plastic bag. I just roll 'em up and throw 'em away.
BUT, I'm thinking about changing to a plastic silicone mat. Thank you, d_msparkles

Hmmm

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I bought baby blankets at yard sales. They're smaller and catch the poo when Secret has those accidents/on purpose times. After it hardens, it peels off and they can be washed. Those blankets can also wrap around the wheels on the cage.

When it hits the hard floor and has dried, I put a wet (not damp, not soggy either) paper towel on it..... walk away, come back and it is easily removable then.

Debra Pruett

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Debra Pruett
I use a bathmat under perches, and when I vacume everyother day or so I just vacume them up.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Hands and knees and hands and knees -

Got tired of scrubbing plastic runners in tub
Kids run thro and the papers fly
So sick of unclogging the vacuum hose

Yep
Hands and knees :faint: LOL !

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
No knees for me - since they were both replaced it's really uncomfortable to kneel to look under the bed. :sweep: :mariecleans: :laundry: :cleaningday: