• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are Amazon toys usually safe?

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Hello all! I feel like my birds need more toys to try. I keep seeing multi-packs (of 5 or 7 toys) advertised and recommended by amazon for quite the deal! Little bells and cute swings. However, I'm worried that it's too good to be true or something about the toys might be harmful. Some of them have really good reviews. So far, I ordered a few things from the site but stuck to paper/wood-based things and one plastic birdbath because I was afraid. How do you know if a bell or a chain is poisonous to them or not?

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Honestly, I have a hard time trusting any toy manufacturers I'm not familiar with. A lot of the toys on Amazon that seem cheap are made by no-name, often Chinese, companies that may not be using the safest parts. All the money saved from buying on the cheap won't be worth it if your bird gets sick (or worse) from a poor quality toy.

I stick with buying toys from AA vendors and from manufacturers/sites I can trust.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I generally stay away from any type of metal or if you really like something, buy it and replace the chain or wire...if something is on sale super cheap at the pet store and its a single strand item, I just pull it all off and put it on a skewer.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I buy a number of toys from Amazon because Elvis goes through them so fast and I am constantly running out. I typically only buy from manufacturers I know- Super Bird Creations, etc. I tend not to buy from the off brands unless they're something like basic wood.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends. Most of the trusted names (Planet Pleasures, Super Bird, etc) my birds never like so I don't even bother anymore. About the only thing I would buy would be Wesco Yucca toys but I can get those anywhere and usually cheaper

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Also, watch the size. A lot of these toys are super small and meant more for a cockatiel and not actually an amazon. You are better off buying toy parts and making your own toys or buying toys from trusted vendors here on the Avenue. Here is a list of trusted vendors from the Avenue:
List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I bought some thinks from Trixie. Do you think it is a good company? I even wrote to them to ask what kind of dye they are using. They use water based dye which acording to them is safe for birds of course. But, well, I didn't expect answer like this: "dear madam, we use harmful ingredients but we do not care. We jus want your money. "
Do you have any opinion about this producer?

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I bought some thinks from Trixie. Do you think it is a good company? I even wrote to them to ask what kind of dye they are using. They use water based dye which acording to them is safe for birds of course. But, well, I didn't expect answer like this: "dear madam, we use harmful ingredients but we do not care. We jus want your money. "
What company is it?

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
It is German company, quite known in Europe. I don't know if they are known outside Europe. They produce parrot toys and accesories.

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I have purchased only toys from trusted brands, but I have learned to also pay attention to the vendor listed. For the random manufacturers or vendors, Amazon will sometimes substitute the item (this happens across the board, I think; we have had the experience of wanting to buy a second item but the brand and packaging was entirely different despite being the same product link) so that there is no guarantee as to the components. Once I bought a boing from what I thought was SuperBird but it looked different than the one I was replacing and had a weird smell so I definitely returned it! Not sure if it has infiltrated pet toys, but there are certain brands that refuse to list items on Amazon because of counterfeit issues.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes, I had forgotten I'd purchased planet pleasure toys one time. They were super musty smelling. I returned them.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm definitely in buying well known brands from Amazon boat. I use to find great deal on Amazon, not so much anymore. I rarely buy from them now. Plus the vendors here are great so I prefer to buy from them :)

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Also, watch the size. A lot of these toys are super small and meant more for a cockatiel and not actually an amazon. You are better off buying toy parts and making your own toys or buying toys from trusted vendors here on the Avenue. Here is a list of trusted vendors from the Avenue:
List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Oh wow that's a super great resource!!! Do you guys happen to know if there's a way to filter it to easily find someone close enough to the socal/LA area so shipping won't be too high? My fear is paying a lot for things they won't play with (as is kind of the case with what they currently have- they'll chew on the paper things and mineral blocks but ignore their swings, playpen, danglies, etc) I think they must be super bored >_<

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Oh wow that's a super great resource!!! Do you guys happen to know if there's a way to filter it to easily find someone close enough to the socal/LA area so shipping won't be too high? My fear is paying a lot for things they won't play with (as is kind of the case with what they currently have- they'll chew on the paper things and mineral blocks but ignore their swings, playpen, danglies, etc) I think they must be super bored >_<
I am in Socal and charge a flat rate of $9.99 for shipping. If the order weight with box is under 1 Pound the order is shipped First Class Parcel and the difference is refunded back to you. Also, Avian Avenue members can use coupon code aam5c and save 10%.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have the trixie swings.
These are good:
46193-172636-63862_1_g.jpg

This was bad:
21068_PLA_Vogelschaukel_Natur_2.jpg

I´ve had the first one in the picture for a good year now. All of my birds love it so I bought more. I see there is a bigger version so I may get it for Lapis and Nube :) Sydney did manage to remove one of the perches and the round block at the top.

Edit:
I´ve just realised my perches are trixie
11417_PLA_Baumwoll_Sitzstange_66cm_1.jpg 9860_PLA_Y_Sitzstange_9.jpg
I have a few of the cotton perches and the small and large Y perch. They´re good. I´ve been buying these perches for years.

Last edited:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm in Michigan but most of my orders ship first class, meaning they usually around $5 to ship. :)

I know Blu's Bird Toys and CA Bird Nerds are both in California.
Just curious Do you ever ship to Canada? I'm so tempted to buy so of your adorable toys. Shipping cost is usually why I stay to Canadian vendors.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Just curious Do you ever ship to Canada? I'm so tempted to buy so of your adorable toys. Shipping cost is usually why I stay to Canadian vendors.

Indeed I do, just sent one the other day! :) I ship worldwide! The only country I can't ship to is Germany due to packaging laws. For Canada, if it is under 8 oz it's usually $10 to 12 to ship, and if it's under 2 lbs then it is usually about $16 to $18. Over 2 lbs it goes up to $25.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
So many great toy makers here!

Stick with trusted sources and with any toys, make sure to check them daily for any safety concerns.

I love our fabulous toy makers here, great stuff!!
Unfortunately none of the AA vendors are in Europe. Only USA and Canada :(
Me and @Imogena are both in EU. I´m not sure where OP is located but If I was in the US or Canada I would also only buy from AA vendors.
I have never purchased anything from Amazon for my birds.