• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Newbie Here - Hi!

Skippy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
New to this forum but have had many birds. Have had keets, lovebirds, cockatiels, and quakers. I am ready for a new baby and likely will get another Quaker. The hard part is finding one that is young, tame, and healthy. We cannot always trust what breeders and pet shops tell us. I live in Florida and you would think that available birds would be everywhere. But it has been a challenge so far. We do have bird fares, but even then, can I really trust them? Anyway, happy that I found this forum!

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Welcome to the Avian Avenue, @Skippy! Quakers do seem to be wonderful birds. I would also suggest looking at and considering adoptable birds looking for a new friend and home! :)

pawprintedheart

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Valerie
Welcome!!!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue! :)

Quakers are a dream bird for me, but alas, PA bans them. :(

I know it's been mentioned many times already...but please consider adoption...giving a bird a second chance does the human heart good...:heart:

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Welcome to AA!

I can't think of a single disadvantage of adopting, especially if you get a healthy bird if you can't afford a lot of vet care (though disabled/sick birds deserve adoption so much too!)

The bird I've had for the longest, a sweet white and blue budgie boy named Cookie, was such a wonder. I rehomed him when he was 3 years old, because his previous family was awaiting a third child and couldn't spend a lot of time with him.

His age is an advantage since at that age you already have a good idea of their personality. This is also an advantage especially since you mentioned you can't trust what breeders and pet shop says.

He spent 8 years with me before passing, I miss him very often and wish he could've stayed longer. He could say his name and "bisou", would tap his beak on his cage to make noise for fun, give me kisses, and snuggle against his veggie clip for naps. Taming him further was an amazing experience, too.

I got Charlie from a breeder as a juvenile bird since I couldn't find a rehome, I love him but it does come with the worries of what he will be like during and after puberty, some birds change a lot. Only time will tell.

I get you probably have reasons for wanting a juvenile bird but I thought I'd share my experience, I really recommend trying to adopt first :) Most of them are no less tame-able and healthy, and the birds that come with more baggage will only be more rewarding to tame and keep healthy and happy.

28B306C6-0E42-415E-B3A7-43EB3FFEB40B.jpeg

Last edited:

Skippy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
Thanks everyone! I feel welcomed here already. I have thought about adoption, but one problem I have come across has to do with living in a HOA community. I was all set to contact a rescue group here in Florida and read thru their adoption procedure. They require a signed letter from the HOA saying it is acceptable for me to have a loud bird. They want this no matter what type of bird I adopt. There is no way that our HOA would sign something like that. So once I read that, my focus shifted away from adoption.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Then, what if you go and buy a quaker and then people complain? Could the HOA force you to rehome him?

Welcome to the forum.

Skippy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
Then, what if you go and buy a quaker and then people complain? Could the HOA force you to rehome him?

Welcome to the forum.
I don’t think my neighbors would complain. We are all good friends. Plus we don’t have our doors open all that much due to the heat and humidity. My concern is that the HOA wouldn’t agree to the letter. But a rescue could be an option. We’ll see.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
But a rescue could be an option. We’ll see.
...hey, you never know. ;)

Any way it turns out, we'll look forward to welcoming a new Quaker to the Avenue in the future...:)

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
Hello and welcome to AA.

tobias

Meeting neighbors
Welcome!

Florida definitely has a high population of birds (and many other animals for that matter) in rescues needing homes. I've since moved out, but its striking to look back at the high euthanasia rates (not for birds, but for cats and dogs, sometimes rabbits) at the shelters due to overcrowding, as well as the feral dog packs, roosters, and stray cats that I saw in my town.

I understand your frustration about needing the HOA form. While I know that rules like that are well-intentioned, sometimes I think that having too many hoops to jump through to may actually discourage otherwise willing people to adopt, and contributes to the overcrowded shelter situation, since it is comparatively SO easy to just buy a bird from a pet shop.

But many rescues will not require a form from your HOA. I'm not sure where you are in FL, but if you're somewhere central, check out Fallin Pines Critter Rescue. It's an exotic animal rescue with who take in a lot of the reptiles, rodents, birds and small farm animals from the surrounding county shelters, mostly run by one lady who is very nice. They usually have a lot of birds, if they don't have any quakers now I bet they will soon. If you are in the panhandle check out Alaqua Animal Refuge. They mainly have dogs, cats, and horses but they do take in birds as well. Many county shelters will get birds in occasionally too, and I'm sure their rules vary but I've never heard of one being quite as strict as the place you looked into.

Here's the links:
Fallin' Pines Critter Rescue Inc. Christmas, Florida
Alaqua – Shelter, Safety, and Second Chances

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I moved into a HUD sponsored apartment community. The loops I had to go through were ridiculous . The pet regulations are antiquated at best. I am not supposed to let the birds out of a cage, ever. I can have no birds larger than a parakeet. The pet fee was $300. The list goes on and on. Don't let the regulations stop you. They did not stop me and I am an old lady.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Skippy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
Welcome!

Florida definitely has a high population of birds (and many other animals for that matter) in rescues needing homes. I've since moved out, but its striking to look back at the high euthanasia rates (not for birds, but for cats and dogs, sometimes rabbits) at the shelters due to overcrowding, as well as the feral dog packs, roosters, and stray cats that I saw in my town.

I understand your frustration about needing the HOA form. While I know that rules like that are well-intentioned, sometimes I think that having too many hoops to jump through to may actually discourage otherwise willing people to adopt, and contributes to the overcrowded shelter situation, since it is comparatively SO easy to just buy a bird from a pet shop.

But many rescues will not require a form from your HOA. I'm not sure where you are in FL, but if you're somewhere central, check out Fallin Pines Critter Rescue. It's an exotic animal rescue with who take in a lot of the reptiles, rodents, birds and small farm animals from the surrounding county shelters, mostly run by one lady who is very nice. They usually have a lot of birds, if they don't have any quakers now I bet they will soon. If you are in the panhandle check out Alaqua Animal Refuge. They mainly have dogs, cats, and horses but they do take in birds as well. Many county shelters will get birds in occasionally too, and I'm sure their rules vary but I've never heard of one being quite as strict as the place you looked into.

Here's the links:
Fallin' Pines Critter Rescue Inc. Christmas, Florida
Alaqua – Shelter, Safety, and Second Chances
Thanks. Great info!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

Welcome to the forum.
they may due to fines I lost mine due to a new reg on noise after 10

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I had 5 birds Percy was the last