• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Upgraded budgie breeding cage, and the pair is loving it!

Comet

Strolling the yard
Just a couple of nights ago, I gave my pair the top half of a Critter Nation cage. Not half an hour later - she was in the nestbox!

I had previous hopes of breeding these two, Comet (cock) and Sekhmet (hen), but they failed to fully bond at the time. After a while with the flock, though, and now they're inseparable - at least when she's outside of the nest. He's gone inside with her multiple times already, as well!

Here are a few photos. Questions are welcome :)

Attachments

Comet

Strolling the yard
Thank you!

A couple of updates. The hen's droppings are getting bigger! I think they're expecting eggs soon :)

Also, I had to move one of my Chinese painted quails, named Set, into their cage, as my other one has been picking on him recently. All of my budgies have lived with the quails before, and don't seem to mind them at all. Set can't get to the nest, and Comet and Sekhmet are both treating him well so far. I'll continue to keep an eye on them should any issues arise.

Attachments

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
They could probably do with some toys in there if you can fit them.

Comet

Strolling the yard
The yellow thing is a set of three bells :)
Thank you for recommending that, though! I realized that one of my other budgie cages was a little overcrowded, so I took a mirror with a bell/beads, and another chew toy. 20190206_170744.jpg

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Awww..... i want a quail now! It looks like a perfect cage too! I see your mirror and cuddle bone holder, i have the same ones!

Comet

Strolling the yard
I see a couple of our budgies look quite similar, too! I have another lutino, as well, and here is my other hopeful pair. They're still young, coming up on a year, so I'm not planning on breeding them quite yet. The nestbox is in there sort of to get them used to the idea, and to give them something to chew. They have shown zero interest so far, but I am sure excited to see how the chicks' colours will develop, once they are ready.
The quails are so cute, and they make the most interesting sounds! Males will puff up and "growl", then stretch straight upwards and let out a shrill call that sounds almost like a hawk. Also, my other adorable quail, aka "the bully", Horus.

Attachments

Last edited:

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Well, the birds in by picture were actually at a zoo, but i've had similar to these :) I'm sure it would be cool to see, what color they turn out to be, it's always a surprise! That's so cool! Can you tame quails? I really want one now lol :kqf::kqm:

Comet

Strolling the yard
Oh cool! They're very pretty. I haven't seen budgies at a zoo yet.
Haha the quails are a little skittish, but Set regularly takes mealworms from my hand, and both of mine are okay with being held for a few minutes - once you get them into your hands. They will usually try to run away, at first. Another cool thing they do as an escape from "predators" is fly straight upwards, though they don't normally fly. I've seen them do it just on their own, too. Horus likes getting up to the top shelf of his cage that way.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yeah, it was a huge aviary, they give you some millet, and send you in to a room full of budgies, all you here is chirping! There is toys, and play stands everywhere! A plus was that the budgies would all fly to you for the millet, they would perch on your arms, and shoulders and such, it was really cool! Wow that's interesting, but i can see how that would be useful, you know something chasing after it, then they quickly zip up! :lol: