• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I train my bird???

Riley Schmidt

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Riley Schmidt
I've had my budgie Bobo for 5-ish months now and he is not hand trained yet. I set timers for 15 minutes to train him "step up", but it doesn't always go the way I want it to. Most of the time he's in a chatty mood, which actually makes it kinda hard for me when I'm trying to train him. When I offer my hand with a treat on it and hold out my finger, he just opens his beak, "licks" me, chews on my nail, and his eyes dilate. I don't know if it's a bite because it doesn't hurt at all and when he does it he chatters a lot. It almost tickles. But it's hard because whenever he does this he doesn't care about the treat all he wants to do it chew on my nail and lick me. I don't know whether to think this is cute or just an "interruption" in training. Other times, he is super shy and acts like he's never seen me before. I just want a bird who loves me and wants to go on my finger all the time... It's also weird because he likes being on my shoulder, but he's not hand trained. Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
No, not at all! Based on his behavior, he isn't afraid of you, at all, just playful, cheeky, and a bit mischievous, like all birds! Most likely the little "bites" are beaking, which, depending on other body language displayed, is either affectionate or a warning.

He does love you, and is in fact pretty tame, but parrots usually do what they want. Their goal isn't to please you, like a dog, but instead, they usually try to figure out what's in it for them. As for the shyness, they also occasionally have bad days, just like humans. Try using better treats, as well! (Many budgies like broccoli, if you aren't already training with millet try that)
Just keep in mind that you can only get him to do what he feels like doing, and some birds never quite learn to "step up" every time. Enjoy your bird! He sounds like a sweetheart!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
There are videos on You Tube on target training. You can look into doing that. Also, my cockatiel would never step up on my finger but would happily step up on the back of my hand put out flat. Some birds just don't like stepping up on fingers.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
A cautionary word. He's bonding with your finger, possibly sees it as a fellow budgie and potential mate.
I had a male budgie a couple of years ago started off doing the exact same thing. It got progressively worse over a couple of months til eventually he was trying to mate with my hand, and everything else he fancied. I don't fully understand how a budgie can see a difference but changing to the other hand stopped it completely.
When he was out of the cage he would still aim for his favourite hand for a quick hump so I'd sit on it. No, not the budgie!
Advice is to stop this behaviour. See what he's like with the other hand, or see if you can get him to step up onto a wood perch. He'll always want to get to that hand though so you will need to train yourself a little too, or distract him. A thin glove maybe.

ETA: Does he make sounds like this?
Vocaroo | Voice message
That's the recording of the budgie I mentioned trying to mate with my phone.

Last edited:

Riley Schmidt

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Riley Schmidt
A cautionary word. He's bonding with your finger, possibly sees it as a fellow budgie and potential mate.
I had a male budgie a couple of years ago started off doing the exact same thing. It got progressively worse over a couple of months til eventually he was trying to mate with my hand. I don't fully understand how a budgie can see a difference but changing to the other hand stopped it completely.
When he was out of the cage he would still aim for his favourite hand for a quick hump so I'd sit on it.
Advice is to stop this behaviour. See what he's like with the other hand, or see if you can get him to step up onto a wood perch. He'll always want to get to that hand though so you will need to train yourself a little too, or distract him. A thin glove maybe.

ETA: Does he make sounds like this?
Vocaroo | Voice message
That's the recording of the budgie I mentioned trying to mate with my phone.
YES! That's exactly what he sounds like! The clicking noises especially...

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I just learned to put up with that behaviour. There was nothing I could do to stop it. I could distract him for a while but as soon as I stopped he was at it again. I ended up getting him a soft toy cockatiel to vent his ardour. I never understood the actual psychology of it all.
Try the other hand, thin gloves or a wood perch for training. If this behaviour continues it may progress to your head, or even a visitor.
I'm sure someone else will offer up some advice, I wasn't even a forum member when this was happening.
Potential RBS, Randy Budgie Syndrome.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Errrr, thank you @Zara :giggle:

The important thing Riley is not to be scared by this. It's natural, happens a lot more than you think, and I don't think it actually does anyone any harm.

Riley Schmidt

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Riley Schmidt
Errrr, thank you @Zara :giggle:

The important thing Riley is not to be scared by this. It's natural, happens a lot more than you think, and I don't think it actually does anyone any harm.
Yeah I think it's very cute when he does this :) but it's just hard to train him when he keeps getting distracted

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
The beaking of your hand doesn’t necessarily mean he is going to mate with it. My two male budgies beak each other all the time to show their friendship and love but they never try to mate. All birds will get distracted if u train them too often or for too long. If a treat doesn’t work, try a toy. Pretend ur playing with the toy and having fun, the bird will be curious to see what’s up and maybe join in.

Even that really smart African grey that learned colours and puzzles and how to answer questions got distracted a lot and asked for the training to stop.