• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Help with my first pairs of linnies

BirdyyBee

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Saba
Hello,
I just joined the site and hopefully im not posting at a wrong place.
Just got two pairs of linnies. Nothing known. No age no sex nothing. But theyre adorable.
One of the linnies is always a little... well.. puffed up? He looks fat. But its really all the feathers puffed up. He isnt lethargic or anything I think he eats the most among all four. But after eating he just goes to his perch and puts his head in his wings preens a little and goes to sleep/rest. All others are awake all day though. Was wondering if he is sick? Or old? Or is this normal? Have always kept budgies these are my first linnies.
Can anyone help me please xx IMG_20190218_102026.jpg

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
If you suspect he's sick, you should take him to the vet. A good avian vet will be able to tell you what's going on. They can also do a DNA test to see if your birds are male or female.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Linnies can easily get overweight because the love to eat. Their bodies are normally a little heavy making flying a bit more difficult than other little birds. Definitely this bird needs a get check. Where did you get them from and were they breeders?

BirdyyBee

Real Name
Saba
I would have taken him straight away but I just moved here and had a baby and dont drive at all (obviously its no excuse but husband thinks olive is fine and im over thinking. Thats why asked here first if I still think he is not okay ill get a cab or something and take him)
I just wanted to know if he just looks fat or old or if its not normal? :(

BirdyyBee

Real Name
Saba
All of them have got rings on them so probably from a breeder? There was this old couple who were selling all these birds with the cage at the price of the cage and they have zero perches were sitting on the floor. I couldnt help but bought them, put new perches and toys in and they already look so happy. Just worried about this odd one who looks a little bigger/fatter/puffed up like in the picture I posted, is it me overthinking or he does look puffed up?

BirdyyBee

Real Name
Saba
Should have added Only got them yesterday

BirdyyBee

Real Name
Saba
A few pics of them today. He definitely looks different all three others look different, husband keeps saying maybe theyre younger and he is old. But its our first linnies we dont know anything at all.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're very pretty. Thank you for helping them.

How do his droppings look? He does look puffed up to me. Is he like that all the time or just when he's napping?

BirdyyBee

Real Name
Saba
His droppings look fine to me a transparent portion with white and green curls lol sorry for tmi.
I put them outside in sun today and he went normal, not puffed up at all. Compact same Like the rest three. He was chirping eating moving around normal. Now the sun is gone and I brought them in and he is puffed up again :/
I have ordered guardian angel supplement for him though will be here in three days. Is he is feeling cold? Because he went okay in the sun? Heres a pic of him looking normal today in the sun.
They're very pretty. Thank you for helping them.

How do his droppings look? He does look puffed up to me. Is he like that all the time or just when he's napping?

Attachments

BirdyyBee

Real Name
Saba
And he is more puffed up when napping but even normally when moving around he looks a little fluffier than the others, other three look sleek

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Puffed up and sleeping lots (especially with head turned and tucked in his back) while others are running around is a good indication somethings if not right. I would highly recommend he be seen by a vet, and keep in mind if he is that it could be something the others can get as well, so best to address it asap to be sure.

BirdyyBee

Real Name
Saba
Cant find any avian vets near me really :( but as I said im new in area google is only showing vet clinics which dont see birds ill have to pop in to pets at homes to ask but not sure if theyre good with birds or not.
So worried.....
Do you think I should quarantine him now? Or no use now he Is already showing sickness symptoms?
A breeder just told me to give guardian angel bird antibiotics/supplement, I have ordered that too

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
Since you can't get him to a vet, I would suggest quarantining him so the other Linnies don't get sick, and keeping him warm. I don't know about the antibiotics though.