• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Riti is such a Trashy Girl.

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I guess I'll have to buy a trash can with a lid for the bird as this is becoming a habit with her. She gets in BUT can't get back out.

TrashyGirl.JPG TrashyBiry.jpg

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like her little beak! It looks as tho she's smiling @ you. Maybe a ladder would work better :wacky:

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Aw! Poor confused little sweetheart. :heart:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Glad you got one with a lid. My daughters parrotlet got into the garbage too. They could not find him and searched the entire house. My daughter eventually heard tiny chips from the garbage can. Just imagine what could have happened....scary

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Streak, my late Parrotlet sis the same thing, I looked for over an hour. I bought a can with a lid because of that but gave it away after Streak passed away.

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
I would buy her an identical trash can and put a perch and toys in it. For supervised play. Maybe add a ladder.
She looks so happy in it.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I would buy her an identical trash can and put a perch and toys in it. For supervised play. Maybe add a ladder.
She looks so happy in it.
I think I'll pass on that idea. She's looking for a nesting site and after being egg bound last fall and coming close to not making it I try to keep her from getting too nesty. She was happy though but only because she found a nice little nest hole.

Nothing personal but like I said I watch her like a Hawk after The Egg and the bill for her care makes me very careful (over $1000.00) and the cost to her health would be too high.

Last edited:

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
I think I'll pass on that idea. She's looking for a nesting site and after being egg bound last fall and coming close to not making it I try to keep her from getting too nesty. She was happy though but only because she found a nice little nest hole.

Nothing personal but like I said I watch her like a Hawk after The Egg and the bill for her care makes me very careful (over $1000.00) and the cost to her health would be too high.

I didn’t realize she was demonstrating nesting behavior. I wouldn’t do it either. :)

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Don't feel bad as Riti is the first hen here ever, 16+ years of all Guys. I thought it was neat when she first started to lay BUT that quickly passed when I saw she was laying every other day...non-stop. And when she started acting "Funny" I had a sick feeling in my gut. So we went to the vet where it didn't take long to do an X-Ray and even I could see the egg and that it didn't look right. It took two days for them to get it out and a big chunk of money.

Even though the eggs they lay are small in relation to her size they are huge, much more so than a chicken eggs are to their size. I am happy to report she had laid only 1 egg from then. It was pointed out to me that parrots are NOT chickens (Who Knew?) and can NOT lay non-stop.

I was told to make her just uncomfortable enough so she wouldn't feel safe enough to want to start a family BUT not to keep her im terror, somewhat of a hard balance but doable with work. When she got home EVERYTHING had changed, her cage, toys, lighting and even food.

Like the old line from the movie "Women are nothing but trouble...but where would we be without them"

Last edited: