• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Essential oils

Christikenley

Checking out the neighborhood
Sorry, one more thing. Saying you've used eos on your pet for years and they are fine is like a smoker saying they have smoked for years and are fine. You may not see the damage , they may be fine until the day they aren't. They may live a 'normal' lifespan yet they may have actually lived longer. Unless you are regularly monitoring their liver and kidney function you can't say that are fine.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
As an aromatherapist who owns an essential oil business I am tali disturbed by the amount of birds being exposed to oils purposely. Especially the mlm oils which anybody with outside aromatherapy education knows are mediocre. Anyway, I have a retail store with lots of good smelly stuff-soaps lotions candles and essential oils. We are careful about using phthalate free fragrances but I am still hesitant to take a bird to work with me. I wouldn't do it during production days or oil bottling days, but on other days I would like to be able to. There just isn't much info or research available to know if just spending time on that environment would be safe. My shop in is a tourist town in the mountains on a lake so it would be fun for my customers as well as mentally engaging for a bird. Thoughts?

I personally wouldn't. I can't even go into a store like that without feeling like I'm going to pass out (sensitive to smells) so I think it would be too much for their sensitive systems

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sorry, one more thing. Saying you've used eos on your pet for years and they are fine is like a smoker saying they have smoked for years and are fine. You may not see the damage , they may be fine until the day they aren't. They may live a 'normal' lifespan yet they may have actually lived longer. Unless you are regularly monitoring their liver and kidney function you can't say that are fine.
You seem to contradict yourself a bit, first you want to know about safety then you are sure they aren’t safe. You are a professional in the field (?) yet you come here to ask strangers’ opinions about oil safety.

Don’t take your bird to work. if you are an aromatherapist as you claim then you should already be aware of all the reasons why.

Christikenley

Checking out the neighborhood
Yes I understand the dangers of the essential oils. I'm more concerned about ambient scent just from the products in the general area .

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
I wouldn't, just because of the sheer amount of free-floating compounds. You never know when a customer might spritz something in the bird's direction without realizing it, filled with juniper, thyme, or tea tree oil, for instance.

I'm an aromatherapist myself, if of a far smaller scale, and I'm very careful to keep all but the very gentlest EOs far away from my birds, and even then used very sparingly in a water-diffuser, on the opposite side of the room, or a very few drops of lavender and/or lemon in vinegar water for cleaning (but not anything they will be likely to come into regular contact with). Soaps, lotions, scented cleaners or sprays, etc., are not allowed in the same room. A whole shop full of such products seems like no place for a bird if you want them to stay happy and healthy.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
No