• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Squawks while flying

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Everytime Blu flies he squawks the whole time. I could tell when he's flying even if I'm nowhere near him :joyful:

I am just curious to know if squawking is common in Quakers (or other birds) when flying?

Blu was clipped before I got him. Probably for the first 1& 1/2 years of his life. I wonder if that has anything to do with it?

But then again my first Quaker was clipped for the first few years (I didn't know any better :() and although he didn't fly that much, when he did fly he was silent. So I don't know if clipping has anything to do with it but I thought I'd mention it just incase.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Pippin isn't squawky often, and I've only heard him squawk in flight a few times.

Piper, on the other hand, screams for her entire flight. And most other times. She is in a perpetual state of scream.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Pippin isn't squawky often, and I've only heard him squawk in flight a few times.

Piper, on the other hand, screams for her entire flight. And most other times. She is in a perpetual state of scream.
Thanks for the response Rachel! I am so sorry but I had to chuckle when I read "perpetual state of scream" :p

Blu is not a loud bird in general. It's just when he flies. I almost take it as "Woohooo! Watch out now, I am flyyyyiiiinnng!" But I have no idea, really, what he's saying or why he does it.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Woohoo! Incoming. LOL!
:fly2:

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I'm not sure about whether it's common with Quakers, but I have seen videos of Macaws flying and they squawked a lot. My tiel doesn't make any noise when she flies.

That's great that he enjoys it so much. Also, as for the clipping correlation. I'm not sure whether there is one or not, but my bird came to me clipped by her previous owner. She was allowed to fledge and fly beforehand for many months, and when she finally molted in her flight feathers, she had no confidence to take flight. I know she's still regaining her confidence from going through being clipped. She gets more and more confident with flying again daily thankfully, so maybe she will be more vocal too once she's fully confident again. :)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Woohoo! Incoming. LOL!
:fly2:
It sounds about right, right? :dance4::rofl:

I'm not sure about whether it's common with Quakers, but I have seen videos of Macaws flying and they squawked a lot. My tiel doesn't make any noise when she flies.

That's great that he enjoys it so much. Also, as for the clipping correlation. I'm not sure whether there is one or not, but my bird came to me clipped by her previous owner. She was allowed to fledge and fly beforehand for many months, and when she finally molted in her flight feathers, she had no confidence to take flight. I know she's still regaining her confidence from going through being clipped. She gets more and more confident with flying again daily thankfully, so maybe she will be more vocal too once she's fully confident again. :)
I do remember reading about macaws being loud in flight. I wonder if most of them are? Maybe I should've posted this in bird boulevard for more general replies

That's so great that your cockatiel is getting more and more confident in flying! :cheer:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
That is communication. Very common and 100% normal, and budgies sounds all the time. That is why bigger flying flocks make a lot of sounds.
Listen to this: :D

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Bobbie (Red-lored Amazon) usually squawks as she takes off. Like Blu, she couldn't fly when she first came to me. I interpret the squawks as her excitement at being able to fly now. Like you, it helps me keep track of what she's doing if I'm in another room! :D

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I almost take it as "Woohooo! Watch out now, I am flyyyyiiiinnng!" But I have no idea, really, what he's saying or why he does it.
No more: - I'm here, where are you? Have you seen a hawk? Is it safe her now? And the same sound make sure that that bird belong to that flock.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That is communication. Very common and 100% normal, and budgies sounds all the time. That is why bigger flying flocks make a lot of sounds.
Listen to this: :D

Thanks for sharing that JT! It's amazing to see that many budgies all at once! The only thing I can say is...budgies (even millions of them) sound more melodious than this

Bobbie (Red-lored Amazon) usually squawks as she takes off. Like Blu, she couldn't fly when she first came to me. I interpret the squawks as her excitement at being able to fly now. Like you, it helps me keep track of what she's doing if I'm in another room! :D

Thank you for sharing, Roz! It does come in handy to know whats going on :lol:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
No more: - I'm here, where are you? Have you seen a hawk? Is it safe her now? And the same sound make sure that that bird belong to that flock.
Yes, I could see it meaning lots of different things depending on circumstances. In the video I posted up above I interpreted his squawks as - oh shoot this landing is tight!

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Thank you! I can't imagine what it was like for her not to be able to fly after doing it for so long. It's been so amazing to watch her take off more and more whenever she wants to. :joyful:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Chirp is a yeller sometimes, if he's exceptionally riled up he'll squawk his head off as he does his zoomies.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I remember seeing a video of a free-flight quaker who'd squawk the whole time she flew (and then into her person's ear upon landing :hilarious:). I assume it's just communication, too.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are feral IRNs where I live and they, too, are in a perpetual state of scream. You usually hear them before you see them - when I hear the screaming, I know to look up to glimpse a pair or trio arrowing across the sky.

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
we live in an apartment, and Dora's screams are so loud when she flies. Sometimes, our neighbor's parrot (we don't know them or their parrot/bird) replies. I also glad to know Dora isn't the only one who randomly flies on top of door frames.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Thanks for the response Rachel! I am so sorry but I had to chuckle when I read "perpetual state of scream" :p

Blu is not a loud bird in general. It's just when he flies. I almost take it as "Woohooo! Watch out now, I am flyyyyiiiinnng!" But I have no idea, really, what he's saying or why he does it.

Honestly, that may be it. I imagine flying in a large flock can get hectic, and squawking while flying might help mates keep track of one another, or keep mid-air collisions to a minimum. I know Cake and Pippin have had a few mid-air collisions that may have been avoided if one of them actually communicated where he was going. :laugh: