• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New lovies, first time bird owner

EreborPrince

Moving in
Hi all,
First time bird owner here. Partner had budgies as a kid and is now allergic to everything except birds so she managed to persuade me (with lots of cute bird videos) to get 2 love birds for a joint Christmas present. We believe they're 2 peach faced lovies and possibly from 2 different breaders (we got them from a local pet shop) as one has a leg ring and the other doesn't. The one with the ring is skittles and the other starburst. No idea on sex but we think they could be a m/f pair

Looking forward to getting to know them as they get comfortable in our home and hope you all don't mind my stupid questions on the way!

See you all around ^^

Attachments

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the Avenue! Skittles and Starburst are fantastic names for lovies! :swoon: One of my girls back in the day was named Starburst as well, so maybe I'm a little biased. :p Lovebirds will always have a part of my heart.

I hope you enjoy your stay here, and please, ask away~

If I may offer some advice right off, one thing I notice in your pic are the perches. They're fine for now, but it's a good idea to provide natural branches instead of dowels, as the uniformity of dowel perches can result in a number of foot problems. You can also wrap the dowels in vet wrap to give them more texture and continue to use them that way if you want. :thumbsup:

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
welcome lovies are non stop full of energy a lot of fun to have years ago my son bought me a lovebird for Christmas he got it from the pet store but died. back then no one knew about vets for birds please if possible take them to the vet to make sure everything is alright as I said we have come a long way in caring for our birds

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

EreborPrince

Moving in
Welcome to the Avenue! Skittles and Starburst are fantastic names for lovies! :swoon: One of my girls back in the day was named Starburst as well, so maybe I'm a little biased. :p Lovebirds will always have a part of my heart.

I hope you enjoy your stay here, and please, ask away~

If I may offer some advice right off, one thing I notice in your pic are the perches. They're fine for now, but it's a good idea to provide natural branches instead of dowels, as the uniformity of dowel perches can result in a number of foot problems. You can also wrap the dowels in vet wrap to give them more texture and continue to use them that way if you want. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the welcome ^^ we do have a veriety of perches already. we have 2 of the thin ones here (one is currently outside the cage ready for step up training) a thicker one that came with the cage and a natural branch type which is the thickest. They've also got a ladder and I'm wanting to get some thick rope type perches too for a bit of veriety. Also wanting to get a play gym type thing for them to perch on while out of the cage but that may have to wait a while unless we can DIY one from bits we have around.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Welcome - your lovies are gorgeous! :welcome2:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello there! :)

Also wanting to get a play gym type thing for them to perch on while out of the cage but that may have to wait a while unless we can DIY one from bits we have around.
Maybe this is what you are looking for?
Amazon.com : Trixie 5661 Natural Living Playground 35 29 25cm : Pet Supplies
They are a little cheaper over here in Europe. But a nice little thing to play on.

Your lovebirds are just gorgeous!
After I got Sydney, I was looking to get a green lovebird as a buddy, but I sent my man off to meet with the breeder and I ended up with my Jaime lol

I second @Feather RE dowel perches. I have kept all my dowel, and even those awful plastic perches. The plastic ones are good for quarantining birds. And i got a dowel bar, it holds the top of one of my cages open so I can use it as a training stand, but I want to wrap it first, just not got around to doing it yet, so it´s still in the cupboard.

Also, I find that no question is a stupid question. It just shows you care about your birds. :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran