• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Our Canary Has a Broken Leg

JuSkabirbma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with canaries having broken legs. Our little guy had an accident today, which unfortunately was my fault and I have learned the hard way, as a broken leg was the result. We rushed him to the vet and at first they thought only a toe was broken and that it wasn't a huge deal. When they realized the leg was broken as I'd originally thought, they recommended amputating it, but gave us the option of bringing him home with pain meds and seeing if it will heal, and possibly amputating it later or the dreaded euthanization. We decided we didn't want to give up on his leg so we brought him home and with his meds he is happily playing with toys and eating (the latter of which is his favourite pass-time). There are varying opinions on the web about whether this was the right decision or not. We were just wondering if we should give him a perch or just soft ground. Will he rest his leg better if he can perch on his other leg or is laying down better? Is there any other advice anyone can offer?

Thanks in advance!

We are so worried about our poor baby!

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
Interesting, my first thought would have been to immobilize the leg :chin: Hope someone with better knowledge than me can help!

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Is the leg wrapped in something? When my budgie Boo broke his leg, it was operated on and immobilised. Sadly Boo gave up after the op. Is your canary perching ok? Boo couldn't perch at all. I'd watch him carefully - if he is doing ok on a perch, so be it. I'm amazed that he is happily playing with toys and eating!

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Take out all perches. He will be unbalanced only with the use of one leg. Use platforms instead so he can rest his good leg. My hen broke her leg. It was splinted first and it started to heal. She then rebroke it and it was then amputated. It took her some time to get used to being one legged but with the right set up and platforms she has got stronger. She also needs a shallow bath and seed dishes too. They dont have the height as they would do with 2 legs. I hope his leg heals but remember they do very well on one leg too. My hen is now very good at flying and has her own adapted cage. She also has her perches back too.

JuSkabirbma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Thanks for the replies everyone! We put him in a terrarium with a soft bottom and no perches, he still is being active but it looks like we will probably lose the leg anyway. :( The vet did bandage it up, but I don't think she splinted it. We just put his food under some paper on the floor of the cage so he can scavenge for it and it would help keep him from being bored and picking at it. And he has a shallow water dish we'll keep the platform idea in mind for when we move him back to a regular cage!

The vet just called to check and asked us to send pictures of the leg. She hasn't called back yet. If he does lose the leg, which seems likely at this point, does anyone have any advice? He's only about 18 months old, so I'm hopeful he'll adapt well, but we need to make sure it doesn't get infected. We're treating him with pain meds and colloidal silver right now.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
That leg doesn't look good to me at all :( Poor baby!

JuSkabirbma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
The vet said it might just fall off and we would just have to prevent infection. His pain meds seem to help a lot. If it doesnt just fall off we'll have to get it cut off, but we're waiting to hear back on her advice. She said the anesthetic that they use to do the surgery could also just kill him depending on how his tiny body reacts. :( Hope we're making the right decision. He is acting normal other than not being able to perch.

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
He needs complete rest. Quiet area and calm conditions. Easy access to food. Boredom is the last thing on his mind. Probiotics is a must. It will flush out the bad bacteria. If amputated leave the wound open. Keep bottom of hospital area very clean.. The foot looks dark in colour..he could well loose the foot. If the leg is not splinted the leg may heal out of line. The vet should have splinted it..a simple small length of a drinking straw could have been used. If after 2 weeks the leg is healed it is going to be tricky getting the bandage off if it is stuck. Try not to handle him too much. They are very delicate birds when stress is involved..he is in a critical way. If he does survive he could then moult.

JuSkabirbma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Unfortunately she doesn't have much experience yet and we don't have an experienced vet anywhere near our area. We've only been handling him to give him his medication.

JuSkabirbma

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Just an update for anyone who Is wondering:

His foot was necrotizing so we went back to the vet and his foot has been amputated. They say he is doing well. They're going to keep an eye on him and we get to bring him home tonight.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I'm so sorry. Hope he continues to do well. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your canary is so cute! Sorry that he needed to have his foot amputated but it looks as if he is doing well! Is he a good bowler?:D