• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who doesn't love a Taco?!

Catlady

Moving in
Just hearing about Taco and from what you rescued him. I think he must have had a good relationship with a previous owner to have adjusted to you so quickly. I have been meeting a lot of macaws this year volunteering at a (relatively) large and wonderful bird hotel. At first they intimidated me with their large beaks, but the delicacy with which they will take a single unshelled almond has enchanted me. They do pluck off feathers if stressed and once they get in the habit, they may never get feathered again. We have several frequent boarders who are naked, save for wings and head. (Attached pic includes Noa and Nui, featherless rescues whose present owners have made them many adorable outfits to cover their nakedness and hopefully prevent further plucking. The darlings are in a very good place now. Naked "Fluffy" is on the right. Not a rescue - I was told he was a fluffy chick when he was named.) Most are sweet souls, but very bonded to their owners and don't step up to staff. (If they do, it's likely to the owner-manager who is a true bird-whisperer and bird cuddler.) Most of the birds arrive and leave in carriers, but many of the macaws ride in on their owners. At the hotel, most of the macaws spend the day out of the cage unless there is a behavior problem or the bird is very young. I have been told macaws are like dogs, and now I would love to adopt one, but my rescue Amazon would not allow it. She flew, with clipped wings, across a very large room to attack a sulfur-crested cockatoo I was petting, so I doubt having another bird in the house would end well. It is beautiful to hear how Taco is bonding with you. He deserves a good life and it seems he has found one at last.

Attachments

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
What an absolutely wonderful ending for you both! God Bless the both of you! :hug8:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I am so glad you have saved him from his former owners. I have no words for how they treated him. He is going to flourish in leaps and bounds for you.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Just hearing about Taco and from what you rescued him. I think he must have had a good relationship with a previous owner to have adjusted to you so quickly. I have been meeting a lot of macaws this year volunteering at a (relatively) large and wonderful bird hotel. At first they intimidated me with their large beaks, but the delicacy with which they will take a single unshelled almond has enchanted me. They do pluck off feathers if stressed and once they get in the habit, they may never get feathered again. We have several frequent boarders who are naked, save for wings and head. (Attached pic includes Noa and Nui, featherless rescues whose present owners have made them many adorable outfits to cover their nakedness and hopefully prevent further plucking. The darlings are in a very good place now. Naked "Fluffy" is on the right. Not a rescue - I was told he was a fluffy chick when he was named.) Most are sweet souls, but very bonded to their owners and don't step up to staff. (If they do, it's likely to the owner-manager who is a true bird-whisperer and bird cuddler.) Most of the birds arrive and leave in carriers, but many of the macaws ride in on their owners. At the hotel, most of the macaws spend the day out of the cage unless there is a behavior problem or the bird is very young. I have been told macaws are like dogs, and now I would love to adopt one, but my rescue Amazon would not allow it. She flew, with clipped wings, across a very large room to attack a sulfur-crested cockatoo I was petting, so I doubt having another bird in the house would end well. It is beautiful to hear how Taco is bonding with you. He deserves a good life and it seems he has found one at last.
I love the argyle "sweaters ".

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was just going through some old pictures from my phone, and found these gems from the day Taco came home. Unfortunately the audio in the video was very swear-intensive so I decided to replace it with some music to spare younger members, but seeing how he looked back then I don't think I can be blamed for my fury.

Here's his wretched cage mid-wash, still caked in years worth of rust and dirt that apparently his old owners couldn't be arsed to clean for him.

20180519_144446 copy.jpg

Not proud of the peanut, but I think it's a treat to see him taking his first slow steps toward building a trust account with me, and enjoying new things.
Please excuse my disgustingly saccharine baby voice, lol.

(I guess in retrospect I could've edited these all together into one video, but...hindsight's 20/20!)

And some more bits and bobs from his first week here:

20180519_145407.jpg 20180520_184752.jpg 20180519_174703.jpg 20180524_182019.jpg 20180523_202526.jpg 20180605_203457.jpg 20180612_101254.jpg

God, I just love him. :swoon:

Sorry for the colossal post, lol :o:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
He is so adorable that it would be impossible not to love him!
Eloy is right......we all do love him and also you for helping him the way you have. I am so happy that you two found each other. :fairy3:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Oh... my.... goodness. :heart: There are no words to describe how precious Taco is. :xflove:

I’ll be honest, I started getting some tears in my eyes watching those videos. It’s absolutely disgusting how he was treated before he found you, but he landed in the BEST home possible with you. Taco has gone from being severely neglected to so, so loved. Thank you. :hug1: Many big hugs to you and kisses to Taco!! :heart: