• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Has anyone else given up on the idea of adopting a rescue/ rehomed Grey? What was your experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCAmazon2

Meeting neighbors
Every grey owner who has responded on here are owned by at least one rescued grey, and all but one only have rescued greys. Yes, they did not choose them but that does not mean they aren't happy with them. I find it very disrespectful to insinuate that these birds are not as happy as they can be in captivity. And what do you mean by "chosen?" A bird who "chooses" you is certainly easier to get used to you but it does not mean that they cannot live with you. The breeder birds that "choose" you are a whole different ball game than the rescue birds who'd rather never have to step up to another human again. And anyone who can manage to create a calm and loving environment that is made for the bird and not the person is a person very capable of providing the bird's happiness to me.
The people who have responded that are owned by rescues did not do this to give themselves happiness, they did this in order to give the greys they rescued a stable and forever home where they are loved unconditionally. They didn't get a breeder bird that "chose" them, which would make their own life much easier, they chose the birds who needed homes and needed someone who could understand them and respect them. Not just because the bird "chose" them and are cuddly or sweet.

That isn't the birds fault. By saying this you are being extremely hypocritical, as you later say you'd never throw out any of your animals. This animal has been thrown out and needs a home, and if you don't have the heart to help them I can't understand that, as you take in other animals that need it. What's the difference between a plucked bird that was trained to say awful words and an abused dog who was trained to bite?
Also, so many people have recommended and pointed out to you that these words can be either untrained or taught a different word in the offensive word's place. You seem to be glossing over these or accusing these people of attacking you, or even saying they support the training and reinforcement of these terrible phrases. Or you could just not use the bird for therapy and give them a loving home they haven't known their whole life.

All parrot species are extremely intelligent and while greys do tend to present themselves as the "top birds" of intelligence, all psittacines are incredibly smart. And much of this intelligence leads to the behavioral issues you spoke of avoiding at all costs.

If you take in animals who do not have love, what do you object to taking in a bird that has no home? You are clearly capable of caring for parrots as you've cared for several before, why don't you put that to good use? By adopting one of the many birds who are surrendered because there aren't enough homes that know how to care for them. I don't mean any attacks, but I believe it is very hypocritical that you object to taking in a bird that clearly needs it simply because some awful person taught them bad things and they repeat it. They have no way of understanding what they're saying and simply repeat it because they were taught to, possibly with the threat of harm.
I guess I spoke too soon. Where did I say that I blame any Grey for the way it was trained? I blame the human!!!!! Where did I say I take in animals who don’t have love?

So you recommend I take an unsuitable Grey into my home and leave him there all day as I go from schools to charity work? Really? That is animal cruelty. And a reason why most Greys are dumped when they begin screaming for attention. My pet companions go with me everywhere. They will never lack attention.

What’s the difference between a bird trained to harm others with words and a dog trained to bite? None I will bring neither near other peoples impressionable children. How often do I need to repeat that? No child should ever have to live in a home where they are subjected to someone or something calling them a racial slur because their skin is dark. No parent should have to explain racism to someone else’s child because it came up in her home. In my home they never will be.

Funny not one person with an opinion on this particular Grey has asked where they can go snap him up. Now that’s hypocritical. I guess those same people understand if a rescue has had a Grey for more than 5 years and been unable to retrain him it can’t be done. The racial slurs he throws out at those with dark skin are the reason no one has adopted him.

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Funny not one person with an opinion on this particular Grey has asked where they can go snap him up. Now that’s hypocritical.

What about this poster,

I would take an African Grey, like the one you mentioned in a heartbeat if I was living in a home. Someday I will be adopting two African Greys, and even though I really dislike swearing, I would overlook that for the right bird/s. Also, the racial slurs are awful, but I would just explain to any guests about the previous owners teaching them that.
This poster would...

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
The racial slurs he throws out at those with dark skin are the reason no one has adopted him.
Ok so now what? You made your case. Go get whatever you want. I wish you all green lights in your "Therapy Congo Grey." I hope your expectations of your future bird will fufill all that your are asking of it.

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Really where did they ask for the location to run and grab him? as you haven’t attempted to add to the conversation just sought to argue I will no longer respond to you. Good evening.
This post is disturbing. I m not arguing im making observations,. Whether you like it or not.

Last edited:

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Really where did they ask for the location to run and grab him? as you haven’t attempted to add to the conversation just sought to argue I will no longer respond to you. Good evening.

Could you provide a location? There may be someone who hasn't posted that may be interested in going to see him. If he's close, I might even do it.

Feather

Avenue Veteran
Mmmm. I see your manipulation tactics. But heck, I already broke my vow of silence so I'll bite anyway.

By all means, go ahead and tell us where he's located. Please. Perhaps someone here can give him a home.

BUT. It is not hypocritical of a person to express concern for a parrot without asking for adoption information on it, especially when they're neither currently searching for a bird to adopt nor available to offer a home. YOU are the one on this thread looking to adopt a grey. YOU. So he's not the right fit for you, that's fine, but you're not special and I mean it for everyone when I say that opting not to actively pursue a parrot one cannot accommodate does not put one in the wrong.

If that's not enough for you, here are just a few of my personal reasons as to why I didn't ask after the bird in question:
  • A parrot is a huge, life-altering commitment. Every time.
    -If I was prepared emotionally and financially to handle another, then yes. I'd ask about him.
  • My personal flock is at capacity and I have no interest in adopting any new birds at this time.
    -If I had the room, funds, energy, and time then yes. I'd ask about him.
  • An African Grey would be a poor fit in my household.
    -If I could safely house another dusty bird, then yes. I'd ask about him.
  • My foster cage is presently occupied by a special needs umbrella cockatoo.
    -If my rehabilitation efforts weren't intensely focused on her, then yes. I'd ask about him.
  • The parrot in question is in a rescue and thus, as far as any of us are aware, in no danger.
    -If I believed he was under any threat of harm, then yes. I'd ask about him.
I love working with "damaged" or "unlovable" birds and training and rehabilitating them. I find the work to be incredibly rewarding. But the only way I can continue doing this is by being very careful and not overloading my plate.

As for your stab at the rescue for not training the slurs out of him, I'll wager the reason is that it would require consistent training that no rescue I know has the manpower to afford when most of them are bursting at the seams with parrots. I sincerely believe it could be done, but I cannot fault a rescue for not doing so. Why? Because in a relatively public setting such as a rescue, with visitors and varying caretakers, the bird is nigh guaranteed to get a reaction from using the awful slurs. That reaction, negative though it may be, reinforces their use and renders any efforts any employees and/or volunteers put forth moot.

My sister's quaker came to her saying "Kitty, kitty, kitty!" It was a minor correction but the bird now says, "Heeeeere kitty, kitty!" He also ditched his original name when he stopped hearing it and when DNA showed he was male and she started correcting his "Good girl!" with "Good boy!" he also dropped that phrase entirely. It's possible to reform a bird's vocabulary. But it requires strict consistency of which rescues don't always have the luxury.

:coffee:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Staff at Avian Avenue try our best not intervene into every discussion that has an argument.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If someone does not share your opinion, that does not make them a troll.

It takes more patience to learn then to educate.

Threads such as this are shut down not because of a debate of topic. They are shut down because you are debating each other.
The original post was regarding not wanting a bird that swears. The OP has foster children and does not want them to hear it.
Advice was given to modify behavior and the OP does not wish to go that route. Move on. It does not take 7 pages to suggest a breeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.