• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birds scared of sound?

Santana

Moving in
I have 2 budgies currently and I've had them about 10 months. For a while I kept them in my living room (about 6 month's) but they just wouldn't warm up to me and never stopped being scared of everything. So I put them in my room where there's less commotion but now I find that I can't watch tv have my phone playing sing or even talk! They SCREAM both of them! At the sound of anything other then really quiet noise in the other room or themselves. The only thing they like it soothing music. Idk if it's scaring them or if they are trying to play? Like when I'm talking on the phone they will talk over me and the louder I get the louder they get! And ill stop talking or pause and as soon as the noise is gone they stop. Same with t.v. and everything else.They are also still verry frightened of me and wont come out of thier cage. I'm getting so fed up I love them but I'm wondering if I'm not the right home for them! Any suggestions as to what's going on?

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Budgies are rather vocal chatty noisy bird by nature. W hen I'm on the phone my birds get loud, or if there is noise and commotion they join in on the excitement. That's what flock members do in nature. Notice the birds outdoors how they all chime in on the squawking and chattering , basically its flock talk and your part of the flock . Birds are noisy, some species more than others.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
For a while I kept them in my living room (about 6 month's)
Were they quieter in the living room, if so then why not put them back in the living room where they can be apart of the family but yet still have their safe space, in a nice quiet corner of the room

Santana

Moving in
In my room they make a really loud...talky sound? But in my living room they screamed and seemed really upset alot. I have a small dog and I think he scared them aswell. They seem happier in my room sing more play more ect. But I might try it again since it's been so long.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
In my room they make a really loud...talky sound? But in my living room they screamed and seemed really upset alot. I have a small dog and I think he scared them aswell. They seem happier in my room sing more play more ect. But I might try it again since it's been so long.
Then leave them where they are. Their just being Budgies :xflove:
Hopefully others will be along to help you with on positive reinforcement .

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I'm getting so fed up I love them but I'm wondering if I'm not the right home for them! Any suggestions as to what's going on?
What are you fed-up about ? the chatter ? if that's an issue then possibly they would be better of in a home that knows how to handle them.

Santana

Moving in
I'm not fed up with the chatter as long as they are happy! I thought they were unhappy. I bought them a huge new cage buy new toys all the time just doing everything I can to make them happy and comfortable witch I'm happy doing but they seemed really unhappy. They still will not come out of their cage and are very scared of me. I was thinking of re homing them somewhere more quite or with someone more experienced if they were scared all the time. I wouldn't want to live scared all the time. But since this is normal I'm over the moon and just glad they are happy in each others company. I do love them and have become very attached to them.

Santana

Moving in
It might also be helpful to mention my first bird I found in a McDonalds parking lot and my second I got from a old roommate who had her in a very small cage by herself and her poor wings were clipped to stubs. So I think that's why they are so timid.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If my TV is on my budgies try to make bird sounds louder than the sound they hear. Same for talking on phone or music playing. It's a budgie thing.
^^^^^^This.
Budgies like to be heard above the ambient noise. So in a room with just a TV on they'll compete with the TV. In a busy area again they will compete against the noise.
You can confirm this yourself by having your budgies in your room. Turn up the TV to the loudest you would normally take it. When the budgies are proper going at it mute the TV and keep silent. The budgies will go silent for a while then start quiet chirping, and slowly lift their noise to a 'normal' level - like talking fairly loud but not too loud as they were with the TV blaring.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I'm not fed up with the chatter as long as they are happy! I thought they were unhappy. I bought them a huge new cage buy new toys all the time just doing everything I can to make them happy and comfortable witch I'm happy doing but they seemed really unhappy. They still will not come out of their cage and are very scared of me. I was thinking of re homing them somewhere more quite or with someone more experienced if they were scared all the time. I wouldn't want to live scared all the time. But since this is normal I'm over the moon and just glad they are happy in each others company. I do love them and have become very attached to them.
Many times we have a tendency to "overthink" what's is best for our companion birds. You are concerned and willing to provide for them , your on the right track, no worries. Stick around on the forum you will become more confidant in your learning .