• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Natural remedies for joint swelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It's an oil extracted from the stems of hemp. It supposedly has pain reduction and calming (and a gillion other things claimed by the sellers). It has less than 0.3% THC and will not cause you to get high. Dr. Driggers prescribed it to Jasper for her arthritis and I took it too for mine. It did nothing for me despite my taking more than recommended and Jasper's arthritis pain was not controlled. We put her back on Celebrex, Gabapentin and SAMe and her pain is under control.

That was my experience.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Birds do have the cannabinoid receptors in the brain, the same as humans. But as with humans CBD doesn't always work, at least in the way we want. CBD is great for the skin though.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Thanks Hankmacaw. I'm not sure if it is doing anything for Chico. He's been taking it for a few months now. I guess I could stop for a while and see what happens.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does the cherry juice have to be diluted to reduce acidity? How often can it be given?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Hankmacaw I got the DMSO in the mail today, and Java is still irritable. I'll be putting him on his cushion after I apply it. Does it need to be diluted? Is it safe to turn on the heating pad under him after it's applied?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
It does not need to be diluted. I'd be careful with the additional heat. Give the DMSO an hour or two to completely soak in then turn the heat pad on low heat. Pay attention to how swollen his leg/ankle is before you put it on and then in a few hours just to see if it has taken the swelling down.

You don't need to dilute cherry juice. I give it to Jasper now and then by soaking a monkey biscuit in it - she eats it pretty well. I've discovered recently that she likes monkey biscuits.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It does not need to be diluted. I'd be careful with the additional heat. Give the DMSO an hour or two to completely soak in then turn the heat pad on low heat. Pay attention to how swollen his leg/ankle is before you put it on and then in a few hours just to see if it has taken the swelling down.

You don't need to dilute cherry juice. I give it to Jasper now and then by soaking a monkey biscuit in it - she eats it pretty well. I've discovered recently that she likes monkey biscuits.

Ok, thank you. I keep hearing about monkey biscuits. Should these be added to the daily diet?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Monkey biscuits are what Macawnutz's Rosie (78) and Sakie (63)lived on for at least 30 years of their lives . In fact many birds have lived on monkey biscuits - it was the only premade "pellet" available for many years. I don't know that they should be fed daily with all of the advances made in parrot's diets today, but they certainly won't hurt to have them now and then.

The reason I got them for Jasper is that she is so hard to keep weight on and the monkey biscuits are high protein and I hoped that she might like them. She does like them and I soak them in some kind of juice for her, including cherry juice. It seems that the biscuits are becoming more popular and are no longer a way to cuts expenses.

Mazuri and Zupreem and several others make them and they are on Amazon. As always I'm not fond of the Zupreem biscuits because they use lots of sugar.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Monkey biscuits are what Macawnutz's Rosie (78) and Sakie (63)lived on for at least 30 years of their lives . In fact many birds have lived on monkey biscuits - it was the only premade "pellet" available for many years. I don't know that they should be fed daily with all of the advances made in parrot's diets today, but they certainly won't hurt to have them now and then.

The reason I got them for Jasper is that she is so hard to keep weight on and the monkey biscuits are high protein and I hoped that she might like them. She does like them and I soak them in some kind of juice for her, including cherry juice. It seems that the biscuits are becoming more popular and are no longer a way to cuts expenses.

Mazuri and Zupreem and several others make them and they are on Amazon. As always I'm not fond of the Zupreem biscuits because they use lots of sugar.

I may get some for Java during breeding season to keep him leveled. Thank you

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I applied the medicine for the first time yesterday and he didn't bat an eyelash. I also haven't noticed anything yet. I tried to apply it this morning and he was not having it. I think he got upset because I cleaned the poop off his foot better than he did, but he kept ripping the paper towel out of my hand and then chomping my fingers. So, my fingers are numb, and he's on his cushion. I'll try again once he calms down, even though I'm sure I'll get bit again.
I also haven't noticed a garlicky smell. Either I can't smell it or I haven't used it long enough.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
If you can't smell the DMSO now you are in the same class that I'm in - whatever that is. My vet and his tech all mention how she smells if I've put DMSO on her - even if it has been a week.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you can't smell the DMSO now you are in the same class that I'm in - whatever that is. My vet and his tech all mention how she smells if I've put DMSO on her - even if it has been a week.
Is there a less stressful way to apply the DMSO without wrestling with him and getting chomped? The best way for me to do it is to put him on his back, which he's fine with until I try to bother his hock, then he starts flopping around and biting. I don't want this to be unpleasant for him but I also don't want him to bite every time he doesn't like something.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Try putting a towel in your lap and then turn him on his back on the towel. Cover his head with part of the towel and hold it there. A bird that can't see will be still. Then you can put the DMSO his stump and foot/ankle. Get everything ready first.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try putting a towel in your lap and then turn him on his back on the towel. Cover his head with part of the towel and hold it there. A bird that can't see will be still. Then you can put the DMSO his stump and foot/ankle. Get everything ready first.
Will do. Just had my sister hold him and he thrashed around and bit everything he could grab. I finally got some medicine on him but he didn't make it easy. Looks like a towel is in order for tomorrow's application.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Have you tried the cherry juice yet @Brittany0208 ? Chico got his tonight. He loved it - drank about a tablespoon full! Mine is diluted.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you tried the cherry juice yet @Brittany0208 ? Chico got his tonight. He loved it - drank about a tablespoon full! Mine is diluted.
Not yet. I've seen a Diet Cherry juice from concentrate but I didn't know if that was safe to give. Still looking :)

Status
Not open for further replies.