• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby not growing

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I have no experience with this. But he's still alive and gained 2 grams . There's still hope. Just like premature human babys , they can catch-up with normal babys . You're doing a wonderful job of keeping him stable. I hope he continues to improve.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Thanks for the update. well, he did gain weight which is a good sign. He seems like a real fighter. I agree that you are doing such a great job, he is lucky to have you. Please keep us updated about this little one, he is a real heart stealer

Mermaid Queen

Meeting neighbors
His name is Ivar (we named him after the Viking with crippled legs who was left out to die)
He will be 6 weeks on Friday!
he has been living with my friend who has all the resources and knowledge on how to hand raise babies! But she has never seen anything like Ivar before...We pulled him out of the nest at 3 days when we noticed he had splayed legs! Then he just never grew ... I’ve been visiting him every 2nd day since he was born and my friend has been teaching me how to look after him.. I am currently on holidays for 5 days! ( I’ll be back Monday) after that he is comming to live with me full time and I promise to give updates weather they are good or bad, I’ll let you know how this little baby (fingers crossed) finally begins to grow ... I’m still in contact with my friend over the next 5 days incase something happens ,the photo is his most current photo just before a feed thank you Rachael

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh he’s just precious! I hope he continues to grow and get stronger every day. Thanks for the update, I’m really rooting for this wee one!:heart::heart::heart:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
As this is my very first post I have to learn how to reply to everyone, as a general reply .. I live in Australia and am feeding him a product called Neocare every 4 hours! He has 1 sibling who is thriving thanks
He should be fed every 1.5 hours. That is how long it should take for his crop to be emptying.

How many mls (ccs) is he receiving per feeding? How hot of formula?

I believe his head looks strange because despite age and body malnourishment, his brain will continue to grow. You see this with starving children in poorly developed countries, or kittens who had to be handfed by humans. Once his body catches up, his head will be proportionate.

Mermaid Queen

Meeting neighbors
I will be going to see him today I’ll update when I see him...his formula is at 40 Celsius I think and he is being fed every 3/4 hours and his heat box is at 30 degrees Celsius I’m feeding him neocare but will be changing to try a new formula this week

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I will be going to see him today I’ll update when I see him...his formula is at 40 Celsius I think and he is being fed every 3/4 hours and his heat box is at 30 degrees Celsius I’m feeding him neocare but will be changing to try a new formula this week
How thick is the formula you are feeding? Are you preparing it properly?

Mermaid Queen

Meeting neighbors
It’s quite runny and I’ve been told I’ve been doing it right but I was wondering if I should thicken it up a little? I’m starting him on a new formula on a recommendation from a cockatiel breeder here in Australia to try another type

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Definitely thicken it. Im wondering if you have made it too watered down for him to grow. Do they have the preparation on how to prepare the formula on the packaging?

For neonate baby birds you want it watery like pea soup only for the first week of life. After that the baby birds need apple sauce consistency. As they get older it needs to become even more thicker to accommodate their growing needs.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
When an adult bird feeds their babies, its basically solids. Wet regurgitation of pellets or watery mix of seeds and veggies but it isn't watery like soap. As a baby bird grow, the adults begin feeding drier and drier meals. Something to keep in mind. :)

Mermaid Queen

Meeting neighbors
Yep! And yes to instructions on the packet..I was told because he is the size of a 7 day old he was to be treated and fed as such ... but I will be thickening it up a bit , thanks for the tips

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Every 3/4 hours seems too frequent to me. Is his crop getting completely emptied at least once a day? If not there may be a crop problem like sour or impacted crop. This is above my experience, but that is going around in my head and keeping me awake as both could cause malnutrition.
Also the amount he's being fed. How many mls is he taking? Babies eat a lot more in one session than an adult as growing takes a lot of energy. Bang goes tonight's sleep :cantsleep:

Last edited: