• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Traveling with my macaw

MyHarley

Moving in
Real Name
Tara
I would like to take my macaw on a trip to the coast. This would be his first road trip and would like to see if anyone else travels with a bird this size.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I know @Hankmacaw used to travel with her GWs. :) Sounds amazing, though I'm sure there were challenges.

MyHarley

Moving in
Real Name
Tara
yes I can expect that. I just will feel bad to have him locked up for Christmas. The last time we were there I had seen a guy riding his motorcycle with his macaw on his shoulder. Was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. Made me miss my bird and would love to show him other things then just our area. I just don’t want to do anything to hurt him. It would kill me if anything happened to him. It’s amazing how much he has Impacted my heart.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome to AA. There are a few of us here who have traveled with our macaws.

I have an RV and traveled all over the US with my two GW macaws for 6 months of the year for nine years. They loved traveling and it wasn't all that different than being at home for them. Of course, they had Mom right there almost all of the time.

I would never recommend riding on a motorcycle with your bird - they are too unpredictable and can get spooked easily. 9 chances out of ten they are dead or badly injured.

Hank & Jasper.jpg H&J Behind our Space at KCV.JPG Bald Eagles 2.JPG

The last picture is two Bald Eagles who were contemplating Hank and Jasper as breakfast, but I wouldn't let them.

MyHarley

Moving in
Real Name
Tara
We are going to be traveling in a truck. He seems more comfortable in the truck. He’s only a 1 1/2 and I was very worried. I think now Iam making the right decision taking him on a trip to some place new. I will post pictures when we return.

Thank you for your comments. I feel better now.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Image00010~2.jpg

Thenatural

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
Welcome to AA. There are a few of us here who have traveled with our macaws.

I have an RV and traveled all over the US with my two GW macaws for 6 months of the year for nine years. They loved traveling and it wasn't all that different than being at home for them. Of course, they had Mom right there almost all of the time.

I would never recommend riding on a motorcycle with your bird - they are too unpredictable and can get spooked easily. 9 chances out of ten they are dead or badly injured.

View attachment 289463 View attachment 289465 View attachment 289466

The last picture is two Bald Eagles who were contemplating Hank and Jasper as breakfast, but I wouldn't let them.
Oh geez I just had to say those two look fantastic! I can't wait to get chuckee her boy friend. Just beautiful. One love

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Unfortunately @Thenatural , Hank my male GW died in 2012. He had a multitude of chronic health problems, but was killed by a cacogenic thyroid tumor. So all I have now is my little girl GW, Jasper.

MyHarley

Moving in
Real Name
Tara
Well Harley had a blast at the beach. He had fun riding in the car and being with us. He didn’t care for the seagulls much but found other interesting things to keep him occupied. I would definitely recommend taking your bird on vacation with you.