• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Dehydrated chick

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you know if it would hurt to feed a little Pedialyte every hour even if crop isn't empty completely.
I am not sure, I have never had to do what you are doing and I don’t feel that I know enough about nursing sick birds (especially young ones) back to health for me to be helping with informed advice.
I will have a look at who else is online now and tag them in if I think they may be able to help you with your query.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Mizzely, are you able to help here or tag someone who can help? I am not familiar with anyone else online now so I am not sure of who else to tag.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Baby birds I am so very uneducated on :( it's 2am here on the East coast so not a lot of people awake I'm afraid

Elizabeth8577

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elizabeth Rodgers
Baby birds I am so very uneducated on :( it's 2am here on the East coast so not a lot of people awake I'm afraid
Thank you. I'm just going to give Pedialyte every hour. At this point I don't think it could hurt. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for all the support.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I am so sorry that we couldn’t help some more. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and Bub.
I might even see if I can get hold of a vet to ask....not sure if I will get one as it is already after business hours.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So I just spoke to my vet who said that what you are doing is fine. She recommended you warm it to 39-40degrees Celsius and that you get vet help as soon as you can in the morning. She said pedialyte will be fine given every hour for a short time as supportive care.

Elizabeth8577

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elizabeth Rodgers
I am so sorry that we couldn’t help some more. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and Bub.
I might even see if I can get hold of a vet to ask....not sure if I will get one as it is already after business hours.
Thanks for everything.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
It might help to mix in a few drops of acv into the pedialyte/formula mix. It might help get the crop moving. Others have also rubbed gently to get a slow crop moving after feeding the acv mix.

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How’s the baby doing today? I hope the vet visit goes well!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's still hanging on but it's really bad. Called vet and we decided it would donmore harm than good to move baby so waiting on vet to come to my home. Thanks for everyone's concern.
I hope he'll be okay. Please keep us posted.