• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is Aviation Safe?

Seabrook

Moving in
Hi everyone!

I'm wondering if it would be safe to take my CAG in a general aviation aircraft (like a Cessna 172). These planes are rather loud inside, so I'm wondering if this would damage my parrot's hearing.

Why would I want to do this? For traveling by personal aircraft instead of by car. Additionally, she would be in her travel cage, not loose inside the aircraft.

Thanks!

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I know nothing about general aviation aircraft, but I don't see why you couldn't bring a parrot on board. They don't suffer hearing loss like we do - heck, many parrots can give that Cessna's decibel level a run for it's money - and most birds do fine on regular airline flights.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I would guess going on the amount of noise they happily make frequently while in big flocks that it would not be a problem. I am guessing you will not be flying constantly and your flights would be a maximum of a few hours, if so, I believe you should be fine. Maybe you could call an AV to find out if the noise would be an issue.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you all very much! And my AV actually didn't know.
Will you let us know how you go? Well maybe tell us how your bird goes is what I should have asked :)

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
All three of my birds have been in small general aviation aircraft multiple times. The last trip was two 6-7 hour legs over two days in a Seneca II, as we moved across the country. Pippin has also been in a Cherokee several times to visit my family - a 2-3 hour trip.

They weren't bothered by it one bit. My only concern for them has been at high altitudes, since our plane isn't pressurized. When we were crossing the Cascades, we had to go to 12-14 thousand and made it clear to ATC that we wanted to be up there as little as possible. They were happy to work with us.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Hear loss isn't a n issue... For your bird! I have minor loss already from Dexter tantruming on my shoulder.