• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help with newbie

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
Hey guys by any chance if parrot can ingest any glass ?

ChirpyMacaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joel
probably not, but if there is any shattered around i'd recommend cleaning it up incase he steps on it.(or anybody/anything else steps on it :) )

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
Thanks alot . His feet always got some poo yellow color on it is that ok ? Something he destroy tòday , check note and rugby ball . Can i let him chew the ball is leather and rubber , the paper have sticky glue is that safe ? Any good advice on teach him to sing - talk beside screaming and music suggest for toos . I tried many music and tv show but he dont seems to like anything beside seeds lol . Also he have big beak but nibble every food like a baby , how to get him eat corn he always bite the whole carb then throw everywhere in the room , apply to the fruit and vegs if i put big pieces he will always bite out and throw but if i offer with my hand with very small piece then he eat it all . This took me nearly 2 hours for him to eat a lil piece of veg fruit ( apple , carrot , squash etc..) . I always put the food ( zupreem and seeds mix ) available plus hand feeding fruit + veg 1 time/day is that the reason why he is so stubborn and hard to get him listen ? And is it normal to shake very hard at night for Too ? He always like shaking off in the middle of the night then back to sleep again .

Attachments

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I would not allow my bird to be chewing the football as it likely has been made with chemicals (glues, dyes etc) that will not be safe for your bird.

These sorts of birds (all birds really) make a mess with their foods. They often waste as much as they eat and sometimes they waste more.

It would really help you to read as many threads as you can in the cockatoo section of AA so you can become much more familiar with your birds diet, needs and behaviours.... you may even be able to find some ideas on what kind of things are safe for him to chew up. The more you know about the things he needs the happier and healthier you both will be.

Not all birds will talk, sing or dance.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thanks Shezbug . Im still reading on every day . My bird is happy polla lol
I have been reading threads on AA for months now and boy there is a lot of great reading! I hope you are finding lots of helpful information as well as some sweet and funny stories too.
The shaking you mentioned I am guessing is just something they all do (usually a few times a day) as long as he is not constantly shaking or shaking for a long time then I would think it is just something they do like stretching. My bird has a few short vigorous shakes each day and sometimes even in the middle of the night....kind of like he is shaking dust or ants off his feathers. I am not entirely sure why they do this but they do seem to enjoy it like people enjoy having a stretch in the morning.
They do seem to take tiny baby bites for birds with such big beaks, but they also do not have back teeth like we do so everything they eat needs to be squashed, cut or mushed with the front part of their beak before they swallow it.
Birds being such social creatures usually will eat together, this is possibly why your bird seems to eat more when you feed him.....my bird always wants to eat when we are even if he’s just eaten!

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
I get it shezbug . Thanks everyone in the forum . My bird is happy af lol

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
SOS

my bird suddenly have seizure and twitching today and fall down from perch while he was stretching , he was paralize and twitching his leg that he stretch with his mouth and head also twitch , he go back to normal after 5 min . The poop is normal , he still eating the pellets and vegs ẽxcept that now he is not active like he used to , just stand and close his eye , he very clumsy to move from perch to perch now , cant fly properly ? How could this happen when everything is still normal and still no vet for parrot around or even near me ! Sorry i was so panic that i cant even hold my camera to shoot .

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
He may have had a stroke, seizure, it could be metal toxicity or any number of other things. This is where you will need to find a vet and travel if necessary (most of us are not lucky enough to have a AV close by and have to travel) once he is strong enough to endure the trip.
@Birdbabe, @Feather, @JLcribber may have more information for you and I will try to think of some others that may be able to help you with advice in this situation.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

@iamwhoiam, @Fia Baby, may be able to help also while I try to remember who it was who's bird had a stroke.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I see that @Mizzely is online maybe she can help or tag some people who may be able to help you with information.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
He's a beautiful bird, almost looks like a yellow crested version of a moluccan 'too with that crest.
I have to ask, that "band" on his leg looks pretty rusty and dirty, you may need to clean that somehow if he's comfortable with you near his feet (many cockatoos don't like their feet touched). It looks pretty bulky and as if it could bother him, and it almost looks like it's supposed to attach to something. What is that from and do you know if he was wild caught or captive bred?
View attachment 293736
Seeing this, a possibility to consider is heavy metal poisoning.

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
Consider metal poisoning because he have been destroying alot of wires, cable before . The band on his leg is made by buffalo horn .

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
If i have to travel i have to go from asia to europe which will cost alot if i bring him with . Any homecare medical i can do ?

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
He is mainly feeding on zupreem fruit blend and fresh veggies ( carrot , squash , brocolli .... ) his poop is still very ok , well formed . He dont have wheeze breath , but cant make any sound . I shot a clip inside his mouth . Look like his tounge was damage by biting electricity cable ? And also i see bubble from the inside throat ? He also very bitey and dont want anyone to pet or touch him now .

Last edited:

Siberianbu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Linh
Trying to get caught up on this thread now... wonder if the cat scratch may have led to this?
No the cat is going to my friends house a week ago and the wound heal right after . He is very normal and playful yesterday night until this mỏning

Last edited:

ChirpyMacaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joel
the closest avian vet seems to be in singapore, a bit closer than europe. ( Home - AAVC - Animal & Avian Veterinary Clinic ) Most people here(including me) can't help with the health problems- or at least not from across the internet, thus i'd try and get in contact with an avian vet- even if only online, as they could at least properly diagnose your bird and such.