• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mulga parrot diet?

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
There are a couple Mulga parrots at a local sanctuary, and I'm wondering if I were to adopt them, what would their diet be like? I've been reading that they need a good seed mix for the majority of their diet but they also need veggies. Any insight would be wonderful and thanks in advance.

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I’ve never heard of them but googled them and wow what pretty parrots they are

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I’ve never heard of them but googled them and wow what pretty parrots they are
I know, aren't they gorgeous? It's either a pair of these, or a pair of conures, and I'm stuck between which pair I should adopt.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
From doing research I've found that they need 35-40% of their diet to be a high quality seed mixture and the remaining 55-60% needs to be a good chop and a good pellet.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Where are you located? Mulga parrots may require a license to own if you are in Australia. I know they require a standard license in Qld.

They are such beautiful birds :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You may want to check what they're like as pets - I've only heard of them being kept as aviary birds.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Where are you located? Mulga parrots may require a license to own if you are in Australia. I know they require a standard license in Qld.

They are such beautiful birds :)

I'm in Utah so I don't think there is a required license to own them :)

You may want to check what they're like as pets - I've only heard of them being kept as aviary birds.
I was reading and watching a bunch of videos about them and there are mixed opinions on that. I've seen 2-3 things saying they are the sweetest birds and they love to play and cuddle. But then I've also read things on the opposite end of the spectrum of them showing almost no affection towards the owner as say a conure or a cockatoo would. I've also seen them almost behaving like budgies or bourkes parakeets, just a tad bit bigger though.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm in Utah so I don't think there is a required license to own them :)

I was reading and watching a bunch of videos about them and there are mixed opinions on that. I've seen 2-3 things saying they are the sweetest birds and they love to play and cuddle. But then I've also read things on the opposite end of the spectrum of them showing almost no affection towards the owner as say a conure or a cockatoo would. I've also seen them almost behaving like budgies or bourkes parakeets, just a tad bit bigger though.
You should take bird characteristics with a grain of salt. Not every macaw is your textbook macaw, same with Amazons, 'Toos, etc. If I shopped for a bird based on what the generalization was, I'd be very disappointed in Java. His species is 'supposed' to be very affectionate, very active, a family-bird, and quiet. Well, he's not textbook affectionate. His idea of affection is being fed. He's not active. He's very much a one-person bird, and he's not quiet. Just something to think about.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
You should take bird characteristics with a grain of salt. Not every macaw is your textbook macaw, same with Amazons, 'Toos, etc. If I shopped for a bird based on what the generalization was, I'd be very disappointed in Java. His species is 'supposed' to be very affectionate, very active, a family-bird, and quiet. Well, he's not textbook affectionate. His idea of affection is being fed. He's not active. He's very much a one-person bird, and he's not quiet. Just something to think about.
Oh I know that, but I was just saying those were some of the accounts I've read about those specific birds behavior. I have to go in and meet them before I can even consider adopting them so I'll be able to see how they are.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh I know that, but I was just saying those were some of the accounts I've read about those specific birds behavior. I have to go in and meet them before I can even consider adopting them so I'll be able to see how they are.
I haven't been around them myself. If they are friends already they may be more interested in each other. Just something to keep in mind if you are looking for a human-bird bond.

In terms of care this link has some info. Mulga Parrot or Psephotus varius
Australian birds are very hardy a lot of times, pretty brutal climate. Just because they can survive on seed diets doesn't mean they are healthiest or happiest. I would read over what this article says and try and give them some diversity.

I don't know how common they are in the US. You may have stumbled upon a very special adoption opportunity. Share pictures when you have made your choice :)

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
The only thing I can say bad about getting unusual birds is finding information, even good Avian vet can be hard pressed to find much on them. Riti, Kakariki, is a case in point. There is very little on them in popular print most I find is either very technical or just a glossy cover sheet. You might want to check this first. They could be the sweetest of birds or hands off leave us alone birds.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I've taken a few birds to my own vet that she's never seen before... not necessarily heard of, just never seen because of how uncommon they are. That didn't stop her from providing good care for them at all.

If they are indeed mulgas, it's pretty amazing that they are in USA as they are not common at all and are most likely aviary birds anyway, not hand raised. There's really no demand and chances are, once this species disappears from the USA, it may be hard pressed to bring more in. Not many breeders would want to breed a bird that they can't sell because there's just no demand for them as pets.