• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Any suggestions for a natural antibiotic for my birds feet.

Herr Vogel

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jason Smith
I have a Moluccan cockatoo who is about 35 years old. Last week when I cut his nails I noticed that his feet were calloused and that a grayish / black “coating” was visible on his feet. I noticed that I could remove some of the calloused layer by gently peeling it away. I also used a small (fine) emory board that removed some of it. With the help of some warm water I was able to get most of it off. Also, his feet looked a lot better after I gave him a lukewarm shower.

My question is this: Is there a safe ointment (or oil) that I can apply to his feet that would help with skin roughness, callouses and serve as an external antibiotic to prevent any tissue infection? (I’m looking for a natural external medication.) Thank you.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Vitamin E oil is what I use on my GW macaw's feet, if I ever use anything. Why do you say natural antibiotic? Does she show any signs of an infection? There is nothing that I know of "natural" that has enough antibiotic action to do any good as an antibiotic.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What kind of perches is he sitting on? That would be the source of the problem and something to be examined.

Herr Vogel

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jason Smith
Thank you for responding. When I say "natural" I'm referring to a product that will not harm my bird. If I put some medication on my bird's feet I want to make sure that it won't make him sick. Some antibiotics (for external use) may be harmful if ingested. There is no doubt that my bird will attempt to "lick" the antibiotic off his feet. Vitamin E and Coconut oil are the best answers to my problem. I believe that vitamin E (when used externally) is good to prevent callouses and dry skin and Coconut oil protects from infection. With regard to his perches: Inside the cage I use dragon wood. Around the top of his cage I use one inch dia. pine dowels. He chews the pine dowels then I replace them in about three months. Occasionally I will take the perches out, sand them with sandpaper, blow the dust off with an air compressor then wash them down with a dilute solution of vinegar and water.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Agree with coconut oil.