• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Amazon owner

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
I took me about a year to move my Sam from an all seed diet to a pelleted diet. I bought and threw out so many pellets the squirrels in my neighborhood were the fattest we ever saw! They loved it. I have finally settled on a mix of Harrison's coarse and Roudybush medium, along with dried veggies and about 6 sunflower seeds a day. He then gets corn, peas, carrots, broccoli, brussels sprouts, banana, apple, blueberries and whole wheat bread for a treat. Once a week he gets scrambled egg and white meat chicken when we roast one. Spaghetti is his favorite, and pizza crust. Loves that.

cvyas20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiranjeev Vyas
Hey again guys, Amazon is doing good, I loves corn seeds now and has been eating those! He also eats white pumpkin seeds. My concern is he is a super noisy his evening... Is really active in his cage, hanging on sides, eating walking around.... Here is a video... Is he happy??

Last edited:

cvyas20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiranjeev Vyas
Ps I got him to hand feed, he eats from my hands without hesitation, if he doesn't like it, he spits it out. But what is the cause of more noise tonight? Is it because of Tv noise in background? lol My only concern is he wants to get out of cage? But when I open the doors, he doesn't want to come out at all...

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Mine react to music. Remember each bird is an individual. That makes them special.

Do you have toys for him to chew on?

My amazons have done something that sounds like their beaks are grinding. It's soft and I occasionally hear it just before they sleep. An Amazon also puts forth a scent.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Never force anything. Parrots need time to relax and get comfortable. If he's eating from your hands, that's a great start. SLOW is a great way to make a new friend.

cvyas20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiranjeev Vyas
Mine react to music. Remember each bird is an individual. That makes them special.

Do you have toys for him to chew on?

My amazons have done something that sounds like their beaks are grinding. It's soft and I occasionally hear it just before they sleep. An Amazon also puts forth a scent.
Mine does the exact same! Beaks grinding and looking right at me sitting next to me, that does seem like more trust in me. He loves me and my dad as we always play with him. I also ordered good nuts like almonds and stuff for him, organic ones. He chews on his little mirror's edges sometimes lol But I need to buy more toys for him... just getting started.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Mine does the exact same! Beaks grinding and looking right at me sitting next to me, that does seem like more trust in me. He loves me and my dad as we always play with him. I also ordered good nuts like almonds and stuff for him, organic ones. He chews on his little mirror's edges sometimes lol But I need to buy more toys for him... just getting started.
You may want to pull the mirror. If he's chewing on it, there may be some type of poison or metal he can get in him that can hurt him.

Are you in the United States or a different country? (No need to specify country if it makes you uncomfortable)

I ask so I can give suggestions of good safe things for him. I live in the US and could mention particular vendors.

We have members from all over the world so they can chime in also and mention natural things in their countries.

One owner of an Amazon bought her bird toys that were safe for infants in the US. I would ALWAYS supervise those though. I don't think he should be left alone with anything he could get in trouble with.

Last edited:

cvyas20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiranjeev Vyas
You may want to pull the mirror. If he's chewing on it, there may be some type of poison or metal he can get in him that can hurt him.

Are you in the United States or a different country? (No need to specify country if it makes you uncomfortable)

I ask so I can give suggestions of good safe things for him. I live in the US and could mention particular vendors.

We have members from all over the world so they can chime in also and mention natural things in their countries.

One owner of an Amazon bought her bird toys that were safe for infants in the US. I would ALWAYS supervise those though. I don't think he should be left alone with anything he could get in trouble with.
I do live in the US, Cali... He only chews on the mirror(made of plastic) when bored, normally is just roaming around in it and and hides in the mirror sometimes when playing with us. But yeah, I stop him from chewing on it.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I do live in the US, Cali... He only chews on the mirror(made of plastic) when bored, normally is just roaming around in it and and hides in the mirror sometimes when playing with us. But yeah, I stop him from chewing on it.
Thanks.

I worry. Mine had no toys when I got them. Secret had gnawed on a dish in her cage and I was afraid she would have swallowed those pieces. So far, so good.

cvyas20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiranjeev Vyas
So guys I have a new problem now... Heckling neighbor this morning... Saying something like "Your bird is a (can't make out)" like 3 times and honking when drove by my house... The my parrot has been louder in the last day but how do I deal with it? How can I make him quiet? I really don't want to make enemies in the neighborhood. But I do love my bird as well. Really don't want to re home him if this continues

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Where is your bird when this happens?

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
You can't make a parrot quiet. That is the nature of the bird. In the wild they vocalize to call the flock, to alert the flock to danger, to alert the flock to food etc. You are now the flock, so he is calling you. They also vocalize just for fun. You and your neighbors will just have to get used to it. Why would you consider rehoming? All parrots make noise. You should have know this before you got him.

cvyas20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiranjeev Vyas
I know they are noisy and I am not going to be rehoming him. I love him and screw the neighbor(some female)... Now when I thought about what they were saying is "your bird is a cu**". Such rude behavior and there are dogs and other birds chirping too in the morning. Today morning he was in the living room! Wonder how they could hear him. Ps they are not even the people next door. I wonder who she was...

cvyas20

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chiranjeev Vyas
Also there was a party going on the neighborhood last week and I think they were the same ones yelling at them to turn the music down. So I could care less, but I am sensitive so these thing bother me for a bit but my baby is not going anywhere...

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
I have neighbors that hear Sam from two houses away in the summer when the windows are open. Sometimes, when I am outside getting into my car to go to work, I hear him calling me to come back. They are incredibly loud. I love it. The neighbors, not so much. They will just have to get used to it. He has been here 35 years, and isn't going anywhere. LOL

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
I have neighbors that hear Sam from two houses away in the summer when the windows are open. Sometimes, when I am outside getting into my car to go to work, I hear him calling me to come back. They are incredibly loud. I love it. The neighbors, not so much. They will just have to get used to it. He has been here 35 years, and isn't going anywhere. LOL