• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

City Parrots?

Lydia Deetz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
I wasn't sure where else to post this. I know there are plenty of species of parrots that are generally suitable for apartment living, so are species like these pretty much the only parrots people own in big cities like NYC? If not, how do they get away with larger birds? I know there's at least one parrot specialty store in Manhattan that has large parrots in it, so it makes me wonder... I don't live in NYC, but my goal is to eventually live there.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

conureboys

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mads (they/them)
Not quite as large as NYC, but I live in a Chicago apartment and have two birds, one GCC and one BCC, so small conures. All of my friends who own birds own small or medium conures, too. Buuuuut there are a handful of specialty stores I know of in Chicago(land), one of which I have seen many a Macaw in.

I'm sure I could *fit* an aviary in my 1 bed apartment, but it would take up about half of my entire space. The other thing is noise--larger birds are sometimes louder and depending on your wall thickness, your neighbors might throw a fit, haha!

I guess what I'm saying is a bigger bird is often an especially bigger commitment if you live apartment style, but I've seen it done!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The average NYC apartment tends to be fairly small, so really it depends on your budget, the amount of space you're able to invest in cage/stand/play space, and how tolerant your neighbours are.

I live in a major city (by Canadian standards), in a duplex apartment, with a cockatiel, a pionus, a CAG and a macaw. I lucked out in terms of space, and my big birds are easily the quietest of the lot, so I don't have to fret about noise complaints regarding earth-shattering macaw screams. It all comes down to an individual bird's personality; no one would ever suggest a macaw or an afgrey for apartment living, but my two are ideal for my living situation. My 'tiel and my WCP, not so much. :rolleyes:

If you're willing to put in effort and make some sacrifices, big birds can do just fine in an apartment. Just make sure they get to stretch their huge wings. :D

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I lived in a 725-square-feet apartment with a Meyer’s and a CAG for about a year. I now live in a house.

Apartment living with parrots is definitely possible. However, I would recommend smaller birds the smaller the apartment. It’s nice when you can give yourself and the bird some breathing and flying space.

Bonnetbird

Meeting neighbors
I wasn't sure where else to post this. I know there are plenty of species of parrots that are generally suitable for apartment living, so are species like these pretty much the only parrots people own in big cities like NYC? If not, how do they get away with larger birds? I know there's at least one parrot specialty store in Manhattan that has large parrots in it, so it makes me wonder... I don't live in NYC, but my goal is to eventually live there.

I am one of those rare few who live in NYC with a macaw. I will tell you that it is incredibly rough - Bonnet is a senior macaw who actually lost her voice (maybe from a stroke, is gradually gaining it back). The avian pet store that was across from the Avian specialty clinic went out of business or moved. I primarily see small parrots like conures and cockatiels or medium sized parrots like amazons. I would never choose to raise a macaw in the city unless I lived in one of the outer boroughs or was very lucky about how much space I had in the city.