• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

sick budgie

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
i hope at least soon we can have better vets.they are expensive and usually waste of time and money to take bird there because they dont know anything or they wont bother to do anything:facepalm:
Yeah, not really helping then... My vet couldn't help Tikki either, she didn't know what it was, and she offered to make some tests but that was going to be very expensive and she couldn't guarantee it would help either.

they are but idk if they are good enough i can ask her this aswell.she said he was chewing enough to rip paint on them.
Paint?? Ah... maybe you have your answer right there. There might be lead in that paint for all we know. Better remove all those toys with paint! And plastic. I only give mine toys with natural materials, or from bird toy brands

How do I know if my bird has lead poisoning?
The clinical signs include weakness (which can be profound), altered mentation, lack of appetite, paralysis of the legs, circling, tremors of the body and head, droopy posture, seizures, blindness, excessive thirst or droppings, regurgitation, weight loss, blood in the droppings, pale color of mucous membranes due to anemia and dark coloring to the droppings or excessively wet droppings. A veterinarian familiar with birds will start with a complete history, weight and a physical examination, and may evaluate the bird for crop stasis, which can be seen with lead poisoning.

The clinical presentation of the bird and an accurate history will often lead to a tentative diagnosis. Since the typical clinical signs are descriptive of many different diseases, diagnostic tests are necessary.

How can lead poisoning be prevented?
Preventing lead poisoning consists of removing all potential sources of lead from your pet's environment. In addition, birds should only be out under supervision. Some items containing lead that are commonly found in the home environment are listed below:

batteries

bells with lead clappers

bird toys weighted with lead

ceramics (improperly glazed)

food (contaminated)

galvanized wire

jewelry - costume

hardware cloth

lead shot (shotgun shells)

lead sinkers/weights (fishing, curtains)

fumes from leaded gas

linoleum

mirror backing

paints (old lead based)

plaster permeated with lead paint

putty/caulking compounds

solder (around plumbing etc.)

stained glass windows

tiffany lamps

welds (on some wrought iron)

wine bottle tops (foil)

Last edited:

mutlus

Meeting neighbors
Yeah, not really helping then... My vet couldn't help Tikki either, she didn't know what it was, and she offered to make some tests but that was going to be very expensive and she couldn't guarantee it would help either.

Paint?? Ah... maybe you have your answer right there. There might be lead in that paint for all we know. Better remove all those toys with paint! And plastic. I only give mine toys with natural materials, or from bird toy brands

How do I know if my bird has lead poisoning?
The clinical signs include weakness (which can be profound), altered mentation, lack of appetite, paralysis of the legs, circling, tremors of the body and head, droopy posture, seizures, blindness, excessive thirst or droppings, regurgitation, weight loss, blood in the droppings, pale color of mucous membranes due to anemia and dark coloring to the droppings or excessively wet droppings. A veterinarian familiar with birds will start with a complete history, weight and a physical examination, and may evaluate the bird for crop stasis, which can be seen with lead poisoning.

The clinical presentation of the bird and an accurate history will often lead to a tentative diagnosis. Since the typical clinical signs are descriptive of many different diseases, diagnostic tests are necessary.
i think he got poisoned probably because he was chewing things he shouldnt had.can he see again?i wonder if they remove all poisionous things from his cage.it is sad to see your bird dying and you cant do anything to help.i bought mine some wood toys but they dont play with them much they like to play with rings only when they are in cage.when they are outside they fly around and play with each other or with us.oh and they have a small ball they keep chasing it.
this is their favourite toy;
Olimpik Halka | orijin pet - toptan pet ve akvaryum ürünleri
other toys they have in cage;
Living World Kuşlar İçin Aynalı Merdiven | orijin pet - toptan pet ve akvaryum ürünleri
Living World Kuşlar İçin Zilli 3’lü Top Oyuncak | orijin pet - toptan pet ve akvaryum ürünleri
i removed mirror from that toy.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I doubt he will see again even if the cause is removed, the damage is done...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It really does sound like some type of metal or other type of toxicity to me. Chewing on the cables and chewing paint off the toys and then the symptoms you have noted. Vet can test for zinc and lead toxicity with a blood draw.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
At the very bottom of this article, it speaks of budgies changing colors after they become adults. Now I am going to check to see how old this budgie was when they talked about changing colors... I thought maybe it was after a molt (?) (Which I have read after a molt they can change colors drastically)

Budgie Colour Types | Varieties and Types | Budgie Guide | Guide | Omlet UK

mutlus

Meeting neighbors
back here,i was busy with exams again:sad14:update from sick bird.he is having that kind of atacks but not as bad as it used to be.he started to eat more.vet gave him some vitamins and antibiotics.is there anything they can do for him?if you know or have ideas please let me know.i shared links with them.they dont think he might get poisoned but idk.seems like his poop changed a bit.if there is vet in forum or in your family please make them check this video.
IMG_3735 - Streamable

Attachments

mutlus

Meeting neighbors
sadly bird died yesterday this topic can be closed :sad11:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
:sad2: can't say I am surprised, those sounded very much like the seizures Tikki had toward the end. But it is always sad when a little bird doesn't make it, especially that he couldn't get help... :shakehead:

mutlus

Meeting neighbors
:sad2: can't say I am surprised, those sounded very much like the seizures Tikki had toward the end. But it is always sad when a little bird doesn't make it, especially that he couldn't get help... :shakehead:
agree he looked so bad in video:sad11:vet didnt say what tikki had? btw forum is so slow for me is something wrong with it or is it just me?

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
vet didnt say what tikki had?btw forum is so low for me is something wrong with it or is it just me?
I didn't see a vet, they are very expensive here and the last time I had been there with him she didn't know how to help him. On the internet, every info I found about birds having the same symptoms, the vets hadn't been able to help and they died of the seizures.

The forum has been slow for several days on my end too

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
agree he looked so bad in video:sad11:vet didnt say what tikki had? btw forum is so slow for me is something wrong with it or is it just me?
Sorry very about your bird. I think you did all you could for him. AA is having difficulty, it’s really slow right now, but you can still post.

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
I'm sorry to hear he passed away. It did appear to be something along the lines of toxicity but without confirming with a vet I wouldn't want to say 100%. Is there any chance the owner could get a necropsy done? As horrible as they appear to be, they're very useful for finding out the cause of death. The colour change, however, I would say may have been because he was an opaline. Usually their baby bars on the heads vanish and the facial colour goes all the way down to the back. That I wouldn't have been too alarmed about

mutlus

Meeting neighbors
I didn't see a vet, they are very expensive here and the last time I had been there with him she didn't know how to help him. On the internet, every info I found about birds having the same symptoms, the vets hadn't been able to help and they died of the seizures.

The forum has been slow for several days on my end too
they are expensive here aswell i really spent lots of money on my sick bird this month,still nothing changed:facepalm:

mutlus

Meeting neighbors
I'm sorry to hear he passed away. It did appear to be something along the lines of toxicity but without confirming with a vet I wouldn't want to say 100%. Is there any chance the owner could get a necropsy done? As horrible as they appear to be, they're very useful for finding out the cause of death. The colour change, however, I would say may have been because he was an opaline. Usually their baby bars on the heads vanish and the facial colour goes all the way down to the back. That I wouldn't have been too alarmed about
they barely do tests to cure when they are alive so i dont think they would do anything to learn what happened to him after he passed away:(but he was 3 years old when he got sick i dont think it is about changing feathers.probably he got poisoned or something else serious happened.

mutlus

Meeting neighbors
Sorry very about your bird. I think you did all you could for him. AA is having difficulty, it’s really slow right now, but you can still post.
sorry for late reply i had trouble with forum.it wasnt my bird but i am sorry for him aswell.